Optimus Screen replacement

E Markwick

I need a new screen for my Optimus VI (I think it's the VI). Using the PS4 earlier, chucked the controller up onto the sofa, it bounced off onto the corner of the screen on the laptop below at a slight angle and completely shattered the entire screen.

Would I need to send it back to PCS to be replaced or could I take it to a local shop? I appreciate PCS would be able to fix it, but based on past experiences I don't trust them to have it done in the same time they've said they'll do it for in the past nor for the same price, anyone got any thoughts?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It depends on whether you have any warranty period left. Having it repaired by a third party will invalidate your warranty. If it's out of all warranty then it's up to you where you get it repaired, but if it were mine I'd send it back to PCS because you know it will get fixed properly there.

E Markwick

That's the dilemma I'm in though. Don't think it would count to the warranty as its accidental damage?, and products that I've sent back to Pcs to be replaced haven't been replaced properly. I sent it back last summer to upgrade the ram from 8 to 16gb, took 4 weeks and wasn't even done.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
That's the dilemma I'm in though. Don't think it would count to the warranty as its accidental damage?, and products that I've sent back to Pcs to be replaced haven't been replaced properly. I sent it back last summer to upgrade the ram from 8 to 16gb, took 4 weeks and wasn't even done.

Don't forget that the labour warranty on PCS computers lasts for three years, whereas a third party repairer will charge you (often hefty) labour costs.

I don't know of course what your previous experience has been, but my experience with PCS after sales service has been excellent. If it were mine I'd have no hesitation in sending it back to PCS. You do need to be VERY clear what you want them to do however. PCS are not mind readers and it's important that you not only agree with PCS in advance what you want done, but that you include documentation with the computer when you ship it back making it very clear what the problems are and what you want PCS to do. Perhaps in your RAM upgrade you weren't clear enough what you wanted to happen?

rav007

Enthusiast
This can be filed as an insurance claim but I wouldn't bother if PCS has your laptop's screen as spares. You will need to send it back to them and pay for the new screen, but they should cover the cost of labour if you are still within the warranty period. I guess its one of the good things about PCS having laptop screens as spares.