Optimus V 13.3" -- is it possible to set a battery charging threshold?

Doggie52

Hi there,

Is it possible to set a battery charging threshold (i.e. only charge when battery level < 80% or so) on the Optimus V 13.3" laptop?

If so, do Clevo provide any software for it?

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Not sure why you would want to, the battery will always be 100% charged if used when plugged in. The integrated electronics then cease charging and don't wear out the battery.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I know a bit about batteries and battery charging regimes because I live on a sailing yacht, we have a 400Ah battery bank and charging it effectively and efficiently is both an art and a science - trust me on that! The science behind battery charging (regardless of the type of battery) is extremely complex. The obvious desire to recharge quickly has to be balanced against achieving the longest battery life - and those two factors oppose each other too. In general batteries like to be kept fully charged, whatever their construction, Li-Ion batteries used in laptops are no exception.

The worst thing you can do to any battery is to fail to recharge it fully, so only recharging when the battery level is <80% would not be produce the longest life of your battery. The battery manufacturers work very closely with the laptop manufacturers to ensure that the charging sequence and charging cycles provide the fastest recharge and give the longest battery life. Nothing you or I can do will improve on either the charge time or battery life, it's already optimised.

I'm at a loss to understand why you'd want to do that (only charge when the battery is <80% charged)? What benefit are you hoping for?

The one thing you can do for Li-Ion laptop batteries to minimise the recharge time whilst maximising the battery life is to keep them cool. Heat is the main enemy of Li-Ion batteries (all batteries to some degree or other) so a fan assisted laptop cooling pad is good for the battery as well as the internal components. Please do keep the battery as cool as you can but apart from that don't mess with it, far smarter people than us have already made sure it's as good as it can be.

BTW. It's actually extremely difficult to measure the actual state of charge of a battery (except for wet lead-acid batteries where you can measure the SG of the electrolyte). So determining when a Li-Ion battery was just below 80% of full charge is an extremely difficult thing to do!

Last edited: