Optimus V 13.3 vs SkyFire III 14

Tinka86

Hi, i am planning to buy a gaming laptop, mostly to play Sims 3 (and 4 when it comes out), WOW, and working with Photoshop. I was looking at two options, both has pros and cons, i hope you guys can help me to decide.

Optimus V 13.3

i5 dual core, (2.90GHz), 3MB
1x8 GB Kingston Sodimm DDR3, 1600MHz
Nvidia GTX 765m, 2GB DDR5
750GB Scorpio Black HDD (7200rpm)
Extra Thermal Paste
Windows 7
Zalman ZM-NC11 cooler

Pros: portable, ips screen,
Cons: overheating issue

SkyFirell 14

i5 dual core, (2.90GHz), 3MB
1x8 GB Kingston Sodimm DDR3, 1600MHz
Nvidia GTX 850m 2GB DDR5
750GB Scorpio Black HDD (7200rpm)
Full HD LED screen 1920x1080
Extra Thermal Paste
Windows 7
Zalman ZM-NC11 cooler

Pro: slim design, 14 inch is not too big nor too small
Cons: overheating issue (not enough space for air due to thin design)

I gathered the pros and cons from forums around the web. My main concern is the video card. I read in many forums that GTX 850 is not too good for gaming, GTX 765 is better, especially with dual core CPU. I dont want to go for Quad core if choosing the optimus as I heard the laptop will overheat even more.

Above is just what I "heard" online, could someone give me some heads up on the video cards which one to go for? i wouldnt mind spending the extra 50-60 quid on the GTX 850 if its really worth it. If so, do I really need to go for quad core to get the maximum out of the gpu?

Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Thx

keynes

Multiverse Poster
My understanding is that both chassis should stand the heat of any components selected. I doubt there will be a noticeable difference between the i7 and i5 temperature wise. From the benchmarks I have seen the gtx 850m performs better or similar to the gtx 765m. For gaming I would go with an i7 since the mobile i5 only has 2 cores.

Tinka86

Thanks for the quick reply, it was helpful:) the i5 (2.90GHz) 3MB Dual core has the same price as the i7 (2.50GHz) 6MB Quad Core. Is there any significant difference between their performance, or should I go with i7 (2.80GHz) 6MB?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Thanks for the quick reply, it was helpful:) the i5 (2.90GHz) 3MB Dual core has the same price as the i7 (2.50GHz) 6MB Quad Core. Is there any significant difference between their performance, or should I go with i7 (2.80GHz) 6MB?

I7 has more cores and will perform better for more CPU intensive tasks.