Optimus V 15.6 graphics slowdown when main power is cut

damole

Silver Level Poster
I've been in India and Nepal for the past 2 months and both countries suffer regular power cuts. Whenever I'm playing a game, mainly PES2015, as soon as the power cuts the game slows as if it's switching to the Intel GPU. I can't find where to force the game to use the Nvidia GPU whether on mains or battery. On my old Optimus 2 this was just a power configuration setting. I still haven't seen any meaningful use for the Control Centre which replaced the old GPU switch.

If you have this machine and think you have the solution please try it first my turning the power off to check it really works.

cheers
damole

mrducking

Bright Spark
the game slows down because the optimus software is limiting the number of fps to save energy
you can configure this in the geforce experience window

Jamie0202

Enthusiast
I don't think it's switching GPUs. I'm not sure that's possible during a game. What power setting is your laptop on? Right click power icon at the lower right of the screen (will be a battery if on battery) and left click "power options". Try it on high performance if not already selected.

mrducking

Bright Spark
I don't think it's switching GPUs. I'm not sure that's possible during a game. What power setting is your laptop on? Right click power icon at the lower right of the screen (will be a battery if on battery) and left click "power options". Try it on high performance if not already selected.

nvidia has a software called "optimus" that kicks in if activated when the computer is on battery mode, even if you have high performance settings in windows, and no, it doesnt change the gpu it's using
the optimus software is meant to save energy while playing with an nvidia dedicated gpu by limiting the number of fps (frames per second)

if you want to have the same fps on battery as when plugged you need to go to the nvidia geforce experience window (top down right, right click on the nvidia symbol) and deactivate the optimus software or configure it as you like
tell us how it went

Jamie0202

Enthusiast
nvidia has a software called "optimus" that kicks in if activated when the computer is on battery mode, even if you have high performance settings in windows, and no, it doesnt change the gpu it's using
the optimus software is meant to save energy while playing with an nvidia dedicated gpu by limiting the number of fps (frames per second)

if you want to have the same fps on battery as when plugged you need to go to the nvidia geforce experience window (top down right, right click on the nvidia symbol) and deactivate the optimus software or configure it as you like
tell us how it went

Are you sure you mean Optimus because switching between iGPU and dGPU is exactly what Nvidia Optimus is? It saves energy by running on just the integrated graphics for general use. Once a game is running on the Nvidia GPU I don't believe it's possible to switch back to the integrated graphics without first closing down the game. I'm certain the problem is with his power settings profile.

mrducking

Bright Spark
Are you sure you mean Optimus because switching between iGPU and dGPU is exactly what Nvidia Optimus is? It saves energy by running on just the integrated graphics for general use. Once a game is running on the Nvidia GPU I don't believe it's possible to switch back to the integrated graphics without first closing down the game. I'm certain the problem is with his power settings profile.

actually optimus is more the technology name: the switch between dGPU and iGPU is decided in the nvidia control panel, while in the geforce experience window, in the preferences tab, in the battery boost subtab you manage how do you want the dGPU to perform while on battery

ahok19

Thanks for advice
g.png

damole

Silver Level Poster
The solution in this case was to disable the "battery boost" option in the GeForceExperience preferences. I did try all the FPS settings all the way up to the maximum 60 FPS but the frame rate of the actual game was still too slow.

I don't remember GeForceExperience existing 4 years ago when I bought my old Optimus II and even though it probably was released whilst I was still regularly using it I don't think the "battery boost" option was part of it.

I'd quite happily have a physical toggle switch on my laptop that let me decide what GPU to use when.

Jamie0202

Enthusiast
Well done mrducking. Did some research yesterday and found this to be a new feature of the Geforce Experience since the Nvidia 800m range of GPUs. I have a 765m and there is nothing for Battery Boost in my Geforce Experience preferences.

For clarity though Battery Boost is NOT Nvidia Optimus. Optimus is the switching of GPUs while Battery boost dynamically adjusts the dGPU performance mid-game to conserve battery power.

http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/technology/battery-boost/technology
http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/technology/optimus/technology

mrducking

Bright Spark
Well done mrducking. Did some research yesterday and found this to be a new feature of the Geforce Experience since the Nvidia 800m range of GPUs. I have a 765m and there is nothing for Battery Boost in my Geforce Experience preferences.

For clarity though Battery Boost is NOT Nvidia Optimus. Optimus is the switching of GPUs while Battery boost dynamically adjusts the dGPU performance mid-game to conserve battery power.

http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/technology/battery-boost/technology
http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/technology/optimus/technology

:) potatoe, potato :) i dont use the laptop for playing when on battery so never really got into knowing properly the name, nvidia has too many bloatware to bother
either way, now you know what battery boost is :D