Optimus V: From Purchase to First use and Beyond

celtic1597

Thanks i don't intend on playing on any MMO's so il probably get a intel card but i am looking forward to being able to play on higher than low graphics on newer games.

Danoni

Hi,

apologies to reply to an old thread but it was the review linked to the Optimus V.

I note you're using this partly for a Linux desktop. I am considering this model, along with one other, for a solely Linux laptop, either Ubuntu 13.10 or Mint 15.

How have you found the Ubuntu OS on this model? Any major compatibility issues? Has the sound been OK on that OS or suffer from the same issues you had in Windows? I saw you gave an answer to this but it's been a while now so was hoping for some more detail. The spec I am looking at will have just a dual core processor, 24GB RAM and the standard Intel wireless so not quite the same as yours, so I am hoping the fan won't have quite the same issues. I also noticed you mentioned something called Bumblebee - I am not sure what this is and was hoping for some more detail on that too?

Many thanks in advance,

-- Danoni

acffordyce973

Bronze Level Poster
How have you found the Ubuntu OS on this model? Any major compatibility issues? Has the sound been OK on that OS or suffer from the same issues you had in Windows?
I've been using 12.04 since I got the Laptop and haven't found any major issues (apart from graphics which I'll answer below) which would stop me from using it for work related stuff. The sound is worse in Ubuntu due to the software not working, but if you're not going to focus on multimedia you can live with it.

The spec I am looking at will have just a dual core processor, 24GB RAM and the standard Intel wireless so not quite the same as yours, so I am hoping the fan won't have quite the same issues.
The fan will just randomly go to full while doing light tasks such as browsing. Several people have had good luck with the various BIOS updates, you might want to check in on the Fan Issue thread. I don't know if a lower spec'd processor will make a difference or not.

I also noticed you mentioned something called Bumblebee - I am not sure what this is and was hoping for some more detail on that too?
Check here for more info. Basically, it allows you to only use the Nvidia GPU when needed thus saving battery power when on the move. I tried to get it working several times but each time ended in failure and I had to reinstall. I eventually gave up since my Laptop is always plugged in.