Optimus V gaming spec

Paigey

Silver Level Poster
Hey :)

Finally decided on a spec for my laptop, primarily will be used for gaming, won't be using it to store mass amounts of media, just any games and maybe some music, hence why I decided to go for a 240gb SSD instead of a 120GB + 2nd HDD. Also have a windows 7 disc/CD key so will be installing that myself. Let me know what you think, hope to get it ordered within the next day :)

Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4700MQ (2.40GHz) 6MB

Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 4GB)

Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 765M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

Memory - Hard Disk
240GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)

Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)

Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)

Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack

Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1202 WIRELESS GAMING 802.11N + BLUETOOTH 4.0

USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD

Battery
Optimus Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)

Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor

Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED

Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE

Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

Keyboard Language
OPTIMUS SERIES UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD

Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE

Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM

Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)

Dead Pixel Guarantee
30 Day Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs (£12)

Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft

Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)

Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 8 to 10 working days
Quantity 1

Price for this Laptop:
£766.67 ex VAT.
£920.00 inc VAT and Delivery.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
What is your budget? If it is mainly for gaming for slightly more I'd consider the Vortex IV LE with the GTX 770M and a scorpio black as the main drive.

Paigey

Silver Level Poster
What is your budget? If it is mainly for gaming for slightly more I'd consider the Vortex IV LE with the GTX 770M and a scorpio black as the main drive.

Well, honestly I was hoping to spend around £800, but I heard so many great things about SSD's I just couldn't resist :D So even though I'm a tad over what I planned on spending, I wouldn't really like to spend any more than this. As long as the laptop is capable at running recent games at a high level of graphics (or even medium for very highly demanding games), then I'm happy

adamantium42

Well, honestly I was hoping to spend around £800, but I heard so many great things about SSD's I just couldn't resist :D So even though I'm a tad over what I planned on spending, I wouldn't really like to spend any more than this. As long as the laptop is capable at running recent games at a high level of graphics (or even medium for very highly demanding games), then I'm happy

I understand you have a budget and don't want to go over that really, however if you are spending £800+ on a laptop with the ideal purpose to play games, the graphics card is the absolute most important thing. And I can't recommend going for just the gtx 765m while so much money goes into the rest of the laptop - that kind of laptop isn't primarily aimed at games.

If you can stretch/save more I would agree with Keynes and get the gtx675mx/770 as a minimum - they are both a lot faster and each laptop has a lot better cooling.

You can see a speed comparison here - http://www.notebookcheck.net/In-Review-Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-780M-GTX-770M-GTX-765M.93277.0.html - as you can see the 770 is 30%+ faster than the 765 and the 675mx only just behind the 770.

Even Vortex III with 675MX, though it has the last gen tech, would be much better at games than the optimus v will be and it costs around the same with a dual core i5 2.6ghz.

Garfield

I think it depends on what the op determines as "gaming" if we are talking Crysis 3 with everything maxed out, then it will not happen, if it's Far Cry 3 on med/high settings, he should be ok.

A Vortex with a quad CPU and 770m will be north of a grand, so it's more than just a little extra.

samhol

I have a 17" Optimus with a very similar spec to the OP - I got a bit more ram (12GB) but that was more for running a VM than for gaming so otherwise comparable. And whilst it's obviously going to perform under a Vortex with a 770 or 780, it's still a capable machine, managing most modern games at high or ultra with reasonable FPS (~30), and obviously better if you drop the graphics down a bit.

So if you don't want to (or can't) stretch to that additional £200-£300 (as I didn't) for a Vortex IV, I still don't think you'll be disappointed with what you get for your money.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I have a 17" Optimus with a very similar spec to the OP - I got a bit more ram (12GB) but that was more for running a VM than for gaming so otherwise comparable. And whilst it's obviously going to perform under a Vortex with a 770 or 780, it's still a capable machine, managing most modern games at high or ultra with reasonable FPS (~30), and obviously better if you drop the graphics down a bit.

So if you don't want to (or can't) stretch to that additional £200-£300 (as I didn't) for a Vortex IV, I still don't think you'll be disappointed with what you get for your money.

I agree but I was referring to the Vortex IV LE ,it will cost around £60 without the SSD just the Scorpio black as the main drive but the gtx 770m which is significantly better. For gaming I will suggest getting the best gpu within your budget but if you can't push your budget anymore the spec you posted is pretty good.

Garfield

I agree but I was referring to the Vortex IV LE ,it will cost around £60 without the SSD just the Scorpio black as the main drive but the gtx 770m which is significantly better. For gaming I will suggest getting the best gpu within your budget but if you can't push your budget anymore the spec you posted is pretty good.

I just ran the numbers and it was £150 difference for the Vortex with a 750g Scorp drive and a 770M GPU, still Laptops are no different to Desktops in the regards that frame rates will be determined by how deep the pockets are. If you wish to use a mid range card, which the 765M is, you'll need to sacrifice the frame rate or the settings.

Still the spec posted will be great for everything on the market, with a slight reduction on the settings bar.

Enjoy.

Paigey

Silver Level Poster
Thanks for all the input guys, it's much appreciated. Unfortunately I'm going to have to drop down my budget back to ~£800, so have replaced the SSD with a 750GB scorpio black, saving £100. Can always upgrade later on when more funds become available. So the price now comes down to a little over £800, don't think I'll find a better laptop anywhere for this kinda price. Will order it all now, and begin the waiting! Very excited :)