Optimus V: Just wanting to know this isn't something to worry about

acffordyce973

Bronze Level Poster
I'm hoping this isn't anything important but it seriously scared me when it happened.

I was just randomly browsing the internet when suddenly the laptop beeped. It was the BIOS beep and not some audio that played.
It beeped three times and while doing that the status indicators (Power, Caps Lock etc) also flashed three times. The fan also came on full and the GPU status indicator changed from Integrated to Dedicated. The fan and GPU light persisted after a restart and finally stopped when I shut down instead.

Anybody have an idea what caused this?

acffordyce973

Bronze Level Poster
Turns out it was actually five beeps and flashes because it's just happened another two times. The first was about ten minutes after starting it and the second was five minutes after starting. Again, the fan is on full and the dedicated GPU light is on.
Now I'm worried.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Turns out it was actually five beeps and flashes because it's just happened another two times. The first was about ten minutes after starting it and the second was five minutes after starting. Again, the fan is on full and the dedicated GPU light is on.
Now I'm worried.

If I were you I'd call technical support just in case, have you check in your manual information regarding the beeps?

mitchell65

Gold Level Poster
Now I'm worried.

Have a feeling that five beeps is a battery failure problem. The internal CMOS battery I think! But as keynes said contact PCS!

acffordyce973

Bronze Level Poster
Just contacted them and they said to return it for an RMA. Can't say I'm going to like going back to my old laptop for a bit but having it repaired is more important.

acffordyce973

Bronze Level Poster
I don't know what BIOS you have, but 5 beeps on an Award BIOS indicates CPU overheating, other BIOS beep codes can be found at http://www.bioscentral.com/. Can you measure the CPU temps? Try HWmonitor from http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html if you don't have a suitable tool.

Temps are too low for it to be a heat issue:
d59f9d428a.png

I done the BIOS update yesterday, could that have done something?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Temps are too low for it to be a heat issue:
View attachment 3472

I done the BIOS update yesterday, could that have done something?

Well....when something unusual happens the cause is usually the thing you last changed. Did you not get the beeps before the BIOS update?

I looked up the BIOS manufacturer on my Optimus IV and it's AMI. 5 short beeps from AMI BIOS indicates a CPU fault (see http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm).

I think it might be time for ET to phone home...... :)

acffordyce973

Bronze Level Poster
Well....when something unusual happens the cause is usually the thing you last changed. Did you not get the beeps before the BIOS update?
Everything was running smoothly before the update (except the fan of course). No beeps and the wireless issue I had was fixed with a router setting.

I looked up the BIOS manufacturer on my Optimus IV and it's AMI. 5 short beeps from AMI BIOS indicates a CPU fault

In order to get the Integrated GPU working again I have to shutdown. It just beeps again and changes to the dedicated within 10 mins. Think it could be the Integrated?

I put in an RMA for them to pick it up tomorrow. Just waiting for confirmation.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
In order to get the Integrated GPU working again I have to shutdown. It just beeps again and changes to the dedicated within 10 mins. Think it could be the Integrated?

I really don't know. It's possible the BIOS update has exposed some inherent weakness or problem I suppose?

I put in an RMA for them to pick it up tomorrow. Just waiting for confirmation.

I know that's disappointing but PCS seem to deal with RMAs pretty quickly. :)

acffordyce973

Bronze Level Poster
Clearly somebody mis-read my RMA problem. They seem to think it's the fan issue that's doing it.

"Your RMA request has not been accepted on this occasion. It may be that further information has been requested, or because a solution has been found. Please see the details below:

Dear Sir,\r\n\r\nDo you have a copy of the original BIOS? as we are in contact with Clevo for a new fix for this BIOS wise - we can bring this back to flash or we can revert the BIOS and wait until the new one is released.\r\n\r\nPlease give the CC a call on 0844 499 4000 and we can go through this with you."

...how could I have a copy of the original BIOS?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's an easy mistake for them to make, they're probably overwhelmed with Optimus V owners looking to the BIOS fix for the fan. I guess when you mentioned Optimus V and BIOS they immediately though "fan problem".

Give them another call and make sure they understand that your problem isn't with the fan but it appears to have been triggered by the BIOS update.

acffordyce973

Bronze Level Poster
Gave them a call and received the original BIOS files to flash. Currently making the USB bootable then I'll give it a shot and hope it fixes the problem.

acffordyce973

Bronze Level Poster
Looks like it's going to be another phone call. All was well yesterday after downgrading the BIOS but the status lights have just flashed five times again, with the fan on full and the Dedicated GPU on. It never beeped this time though. I'll shutdown and see what happens.
The BIOS is American Megatrends Inc (AMI).

Last edited:

acffordyce973

Bronze Level Poster
Now I've got some weird dots on the BIOS when booting. Just noticed something weird on the screen when starting it up and restarted it to find those. The screen is still perfect while on though.
ddecb16e77.jpg
d838693c5c.jpg

acffordyce973

Bronze Level Poster
Spoke to Jack on the phone, he said that is was a good idea to try the downgrade (which I agree) but, since that hasn't worked it might be a BIOS issue. Awaiting confirmation again for an RMA, this time put in by Jack so it shouldn't be denied (I hope).
All the Laptops I have had all went back to the manufacturer for repairs, it's just my luck. The first had a power issue, the second had a faulty HDD and the third had a screen issue.

Last edited: