Optimus V overheating issues

Okay so I've had my laptop for just over a year now and I generally clean it out fairly regularly, however I've been having issues with my temperature despite this. Generally when idle it's between 50 and 70 going up to 80-90 when playing games. I'm not sure how much of a heat sink issue it could be as the air that comes out the back is hot so obviously the heat is being transferred, I did however remove a piece of black tape from the grill part of the heat sink in my last clean, it overlapped the gap between it and the fan very slightly, could this be part of the problem? I also removed the metal plate on top of the fan while cleaning, I doubt this would've had much impact but I guess it's worth mentioning.
Anyway tips/advice?
EDIT: Worth mentioning my battery is dying fairly badly, generally only has 12% charge at any given time.

mrducking

Bright Spark
seems to me you have to repaste, all you describe is usually asociated with problems related to thermal paste or the heatsink not making proper contact with the cpu/gpu
maybe when cleaning you moved accidentally the heatsink or whatever thing happened that messed up the contact with the heatsink :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
What sort of desk do you have? Do have have a cooling stand? Do you prop up the laptop so air can get underneath? Do you have sufficient space around the laptop for air to circulate?

Your two issues (high temps and failing battery) are connected. Li-Ion batteries are degraded by being overheated so it's pretty clear that your laptop have been getting too hot for too long. If you don't have a fan-assisted cooling stand then get one. Make sure there is plenty of room for air to circulate, the fan pulls cooler air in from underneath so there must be cool air available under the laptop.

Wooden (and some plastic) desks retain heat so that the air being sucked in underneath the laptop will already be hot from the desk. A small sheet of thin aluminium placed on the desk under the laptop will help with that but a cooling stand will be much more effective.

Heat is the number one enemy of electronic components and unless you act now to reduce the heat in and around your laptop it will have a greatly foreshortened life.