Optimus V

iannzo

Hey guys,

Just one thing keeping me from purchasing this beast of a machine. I've heard its pretty loud. Is this true? If so is it only when the graphics card is running?

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
The last few threads I have seems to indicate the sudden fan noise is solved, it will only be noisy at full load when gaming.

bararm

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys,

Just one thing keeping me from purchasing this beast of a machine. I've heard its pretty loud. Is this true? If so is it only when the graphics card is running?

The fan issue has absolutely NOT been resolved and the laptop sounds like a hoover. I am seeking a refund for my machine.

izzyy

The fan issue has absolutely NOT been resolved and the laptop sounds like a hoover. I am seeking a refund for my machine.

Before my new one died it was fine.

The fan is absolutely silent for normal usage, just under heavy load it kicks in hard.

And for you guys wondering its not like a hoover its nowhere near loud the fan has a very smooth sound that any outside noise can easily overtake

bararm

Bronze Level Poster
Before my new one died it was fine.

The fan is absolutely silent for normal usage, just under heavy load it kicks in hard.

And for you guys wondering its not like a hoover its nowhere near loud the fan has a very smooth sound that any outside noise can easily overtake

Have you read the "Optimus V Fan Noise" thread?

The fan comes on when you are just browsing the internet. It only has two modes, on full or on quiet.

The fan will kick in even when your CPU is idling at 35 degrees. The noise is incredibly loud. In my busy office my laptop can be heard well above office noise over 20 feet away. If that's your idea of "smooth" you're easily pleased.

izzyy

Mines was comepletly fine and it was idling at 42 lowest with stock thermal. Yea it has 2 modes but if browsing the web causes you full fan then maybe its a more underlying issue.

And by smooth it doesnt whirr or anything it just sounds like a gust like your blowing air.

also 20 meters away in a busy office Define busy. Literally had it on in living room on lap and tv was 5 feet away. He turned up volume because he had it on just below audible voice volume after voices became legible the fan sounded more like a background noise.

Sersiouly though working in a busy office and its loud 20 meters away. Think you need to fix your setup. Once I get my laptop collected and Returned on RMA i will post a video.

Also why dont you try undervolting your cpu. If your on the i7 4700mq its been safely reported -80mv UV and up to -120mv tops in Intels XTU and will also drop your temps noticeably under load.

Saying that I understand you must be frustrated for you because of the environment you work in.
Im Using the 17 inch optimus so it has more room. The 13 inch is notorious for cooling issues so undervolting and Prema Bios can Help

15.6 may not be as strong also

Last edited:

stumur344

When did you buy your machine? I have had mine a month and he fan issue absolutely HAS been resolved. I had my laptop on around 8 hours yesterday and the fan was silent 95% of the time.

Izzyy is probably correct and it is your setup that is the problem.

So let's try keep things balanced, and not turn this thread into your personal crusade. Use the other thread for that.

feetofclay

As im thinking of buying the Optimus V, i also had a bit of a look around and found this review of the same clevo chassie but with a different manufacturer.
in it they do a decibel check. http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Schenker-XMG-A503-Clevo-W355STQ-Notebook.104018.0.html

Noise emissions: This is the area where the XMG A503 fares worst in terms of our ratings system. As is the case with other Clevo barebones, the fans get a lot louder during 3D applications than necessary.

During the 3DMark 06 benchmark, we measured 45 dB(A) during the first scene (from a distance of 15 centimeters/5.9 inches). Without a high-volume speaker system or headphones, this might very well be enough to drown music and sound effects alike. 49 dB(A) under full load? That is every bit as noisy as the XMG A523 was - apparently the lower power consumption levels of the dual-core CPU do not seem to factor into this equation.

While the device is idle, it remains perfectly silent at times, only to jump to 36-44 dB(A) without any apparent cause (allegedly, Schenker is already working on an update). In addition, the fans of our test device rattled a bit.

Bad luck or just a pre-sample? The first user reports will show. Anyway, we do hope that Clevo will put some more work into the fan control system - right now, it is far from perfect.

this review was made in october. and might have a bit of a different set of components, but the posts iv seen on the forum seems to indicate its more of a luck of the draw, in if you get a bit of a noisy fan.
im no expert so im hoping some of you godlike helpers will check it out :)

bararm

Bronze Level Poster
So let's try keep things balanced, and not turn this thread into your personal crusade. Use the other thread for that.

Please explain how to "fix my setup"?

I didn't realise there were more steps you had to follow when using a laptop, other than

1. Turn on
2. Use
3. Turn off

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Please explain how to "fix my setup"?

I didn't realise there were more steps you had to follow when using a laptop, other than

1. Turn on
2. Use
3. Turn off

Interestingly, I was commenting on a thread on a completely different forum a few days ago which asked the question whether computers are consumable items, like a washing machine or fridge for example. This post seems to suggest that baram thinks that they are. I would suggest that a customised PC/laptop and/or a power-user PC/laptop is anything but a consumer item. A lot of tuning, configuring, and maintenance, and a fair knowledge of how it works is required to get them running exactly the way you want and to keep them that way.

I would suggest (as I did in the other thread I mentioned) that if you want a consumer item computer (ie. one that just works) then you'd be better off with a tablet.

bararm

Bronze Level Poster
Interestingly, I was commenting on a thread on a completely different forum a few days ago which asked the question whether computers are consumable items, like a washing machine or fridge for example. This post seems to suggest that baram thinks that they are. I would suggest that a customised PC/laptop and/or a power-user PC/laptop is anything but a consumer item. A lot of tuning, configuring, and maintenance, and a fair knowledge of how it works is required to get them running exactly the way you want and to keep them that way.

I would suggest (as I did in the other thread I mentioned) that if you want a consumer item computer (ie. one that just works) then you'd be better off with a tablet.

Yes, it's probably too difficult for me to understand

I've only got an MCP, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA and MCSE

Explain to me how exactly the fan issue is my fault? What part of browsing the web or using office is causing the fan to run at 100%?

A very patronising post from someone who probably doesn't have one tenth of the IT experience that i do.

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
Before this gets any further, no name calling, no insults, otherwise I'll start deleting posts!

steaky360

Explain to me how exactly the fan issue is my fault? What part of browsing the web or using office is causing the fan to run at 100%?

A very patronising post from someone who probably doesn't have one tenth of the IT experience that i do.

I don't think ubuysa was meaning to sound patronising, from his previous posts is very knowledgeable and seems to be out of the IT industry also.

I think he was trying to point out that you may need to do a bit of fault finding as it could potentially be a software issue, now that obviously isn't your fault, but I'm sure from your experience in the industry you must have seen this sort of thing happen time and time again (install something, doesn't work quite as expected, figure out why it isn't, fix it)

I'm not clued up on the issues that cause the fans to run at full speed but if you're wanting a solid answer I'd recommend getting in touch with PCS directly, they build the laptops and if anyone knows of the solution, it will be them I'd say.

Hope you manage to get it sorted.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

I was making an observation concerning whether or not a custom built laptop or PC could be considered a consumer product and whether expecting to be able to switch it on, use it, and switch it off was reasonable. My post contained no insults or criticisms of you, either implied or otherwise, so I'm surprised that you should feel the need to reply in such a manner.

bararm

Bronze Level Poster
Seriously? :D

I would have been impressed if you had listed your work experience, but not that impressed you're good at multiple choice.

lol, there may be many who can "blag" an exam by remembering questions (i've seen it done myself)

But i stand by the statement that anyone who has actually studied (read books, watched videos and set up test labs) and passed their MCSE exams, is a VERY knowledgeable engineer.

I have known guys who have passed them by cramming, but put them on customer site and they don't have a clue what they are doing. These guys give others a bad name
And, if it's so easy and just a case of multiple choice, maybe you should book your exams :)