Optimus VII

jeebus

Trying to figure out why it wont boot from CD? Seems to support only UEFI booting - no option to boot from cd in bios? Not really any options at all in BIOS

T

Theimpliedidea1

I initially thought the same but I got windows disc to boot from USB

try the following:

Only have the hard drive which you want to install operating system on connected to laptop.
In the BIOS, go to boot section. you will see a list of drives/CD.
Press +/- on the drive to change boot priority.

edit: not sure if you mean that it won't recognise CD at all in boot section.

jeebus

Thanks, got passed that issue. Turning off UEFI allows the other boot options to appear.

Now I am having and issue with the GPU - once I install the nvidia drivers (including the latest from nvidia) the laptop starts beeping and the fan is on full blow until it decides to shut itself down. I assume it thinks it is getting too hot but it seems fine to me. Only way to prevent this is to disable the nvidia gpu. Strangely it wasn't doing this before I installed my own OS (Windows 8.1).

Going to put the original mechanical drive back in now and see what happens.

jeebus

Temperature sits around 31/32 until it shuts off but it shouldn't really be active at all unless I am using it. Something I am missing on the setup - I have a couple of missing drivers but don't know what they could be.

jeebus

So, the upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 did the trick. Guess the GPU switching is not compatible with Windows 8?