Optimus VIII - Webcam/camera issue

spooky23

Not had a reason to check this since having the laptop delivered but noticed there is nothing in device manager and when attempting to open the camera 'app', I'm given a 'cant find your camera' error page with the code:

0x00F4244(0xC00DABE0)

Camera is enabled within Settings.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Nothing missing in device manager - by which I mean any uknown devices or any with a black exclamation mark in a yellow circle?

spooky23

Not that I can see. Was expecting the camera/webcam to appear under 'Sound, video and game controllers'. Only have audio devices present and working.

edit: Also looked under Imaging Devices

Last edited:

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
So....I just went to see where my driver was on my Defiance II as I thought it would be listed under Imaging Devices.

And..

No driver. Anywhere.

I had to hit Fn + F10 to turn it on! Then the driver installed and it was available. Try that.

spooky23

I tried fn + F10 earlier with no luck and that's what alerted me to the non activity.

I've just downloaded 'drivertoolkit' which ran a scan and has displayed what drivers I need to download. It's showing 'Chicony USB2.0 Camera' in the list for Imaging devices. I guess that's the integrated camera? I've removed drivertoolkit (as its one of those 'register' apps' but its the first thing I've found that has suggested it can detect something.

Will see if I can find the drivers (although still don't know why Windows 10 can't do any of this).

I wont quite celebrate yet.

Thanks for the help by the way.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Well on the face of it it doesn't sound like Windows even knows it's there - indeed, mine wasn't showing up even as a missing driver until I pressed Fn + F10.

I would suggest logging into the main PCS site and looking what options you have for downloading drivers. In fairness if it was in an "off" state during build then the OS wouldn't know that anything was amiss.

spooky23

Thanks. So there's driver downloads available on the PCS site? I didn't realise.

edit: Found the page in tech support, but has nothing other than a W10 numlock fix (which is 0mb in size). Nothing else.

Last edited:

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Thanks. So there's driver downloads available on the PCS site? I didn't realise.

edit: Found the page in tech support, but has nothing other than a W10 numlock fix (which is 0mb in size). Nothing else.

What's the chassis number? Usually one printed underneath

spooky23

Control Centre fixed it! The function key now prompts me to state that the camera is on/off (at least I hope it's fixed, there's still nothing under device manager). I feel a touch daft for completely forgetting about this particular download considering I've seen it noted in so many threads in these forums.

Appreciate the tips chaps.

edit: tested and works. Glory!

Last edited:

spooky23

Ctrl + Esc is meant to launch the centre? It only brings up the start menu area. Guessing the control centre is 'invisible' and only accessed through a hotkey?

Last edited:

gmhastings

Not that I can see. Was expecting the camera/webcam to appear under 'Sound, video and game controllers'. Only have audio devices present and working.

edit: Also looked under Imaging Devices

Just had to pop on as I was so confused that suddenly my camera had stopped working. I couldn't see it at all in Devices but after reading your very helpful solution Fn + F10 -- it appeared and is working again great :) So ... thank you very much :) :)

Cheers,
G