Thermal Conductivity Compound
Windows 7 HP

Extra:
Laptop Carry case 17.3''

Help, Im hoping to play games like Gta 4 and Saints row the third on Max

- Amuze

El Wayneo

Silver Level Poster
You'll want the HD6990m or a gtx680m to max out games like that at 1080p.

Try a cheaper CPU and better GPU, the 2670qm is a very good quadcore, use the price difference to get a better graphics card.

El Wayneo

Silver Level Poster
yeah you would need to choose the 17" vortex or get the 15".

It'll play games on good settings at 720p but it wont max then out.

El Wayneo

Silver Level Poster
17.3" Vortexx II with;

Core i7 2670qm
8GB RAM
HD6990M 2GB Graphics card
750GB WD Scorpio black

and silver warranty is £39.99 a month.

AndyL

As said before, the Vortex series of laptops will give much better gaming performance. However the Optimus is also a good laptop but wont be able to achieve as high settings or frame rates. You will also only want to get an i7-2670 CPU if you are going to be gaming.

El Wayneo

Silver Level Poster
^^^ plus one.

I've ordered an Optimus with the GT555M but i know its capability and will only be playing games at 720p on medium as thats fine for me.

2670qm as i mentioned before is a great CPU, it has turbo upto 3.1ghz, i think all 4 cores turbo to 2.8, so theres little need to spend another £250 on the top end CPU.

Jiyuu

Silver Level Poster
i think all 4 cores turbo to 2.8, so theres little need to spend another £250 on the top end CPU.
Can anyone confirm this? I always thought turbo boost only came into effect when not all the cores are being utilised.

AndyL

Can anyone confirm this? I always thought turbo boost only came into effect when not all the cores are being utilised.

TBH whether its true or not wont really make much difference. The i7-2670 is a very powerfull CPU and more than capable at playing games. The i7-2860 is obviously better, however it is one hell of a price increase for such a small performance increase!

EDIT: I also believe the i7-2670 will not overclock to 2.8GHz with 4 cores being used.