Ordered my first PC in 6 years.

SlickShoes

So I work with OSX and Windows and always ended up buying macs so I could have the best of both OS and through my work I got a nice 3 year warranty for free on mac hardware.

After speccing about about 97 laptops, 55 mini PC's, I finally convinced my wife to allow a desktop to sit next to the TV for my gaming pleasure. I was determined to build my own PC but after shopping around for parts it would have cost me about £10 more to do it myself! I was on a fairly limited budget so ordered the following PC:

Case
CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES™ 200R COMPACT GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-3570 (3.4GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® P8Z77-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 660 - DVI, HDMI, VGA - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
120GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)
Power Supply
450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan
Processor Cooling
Corsair H40 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler (£39)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 7 to 9 working days
Quantity

Price: £698.00 including VAT and delivery.

I went with the corsair cooler because I had a free £15 in my budget and there was nothing else I could really do with it other than upgrade to that, so I thought, why not?

I already own a copy of Windows and I have an external DVD drive I will use once to install windows and then only ever use again to re-install Windows if I need to. I also have a 500GB Seagate Barracuda to pop in as a storage drive!

I assume I will get a DVD with all the relevant drivers in a nice bundle so that once I have installed windows I am ready to run that, then power through the 100's of windows updates and then eventually get to playing some games!?

Thanks to everyone that replied to my multiple "help with this spec" and annoying questions about laptop heat!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
What versions of windows do you have, PCS install a 30 day trial of windows 7 (it may now be windows 8) and this is so they can complete their testing, so if you have the windows version that it comes with, you can just add your code without any problems

PCS supply a welcome pack, which will have all your driver CDs, manuals, stickers and any spare parts you may have had with certain parts

SlickShoes

So it will come with windows installed then and just require me to enter the code?

I have Windows 7 Pro 64bit, so I would prefer that the machine had Windows 7 on it if that was the case, I can get a code for free for Windows 8 from my work but I don't really want to use it at home yet when I don't have to haha

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I am not sure if they will have updated to windows 8, because I haven't heard what is preinstalled now after windows 8 release, if you give PCS a ring, they should be able to tell you

SlickShoes

I will maybe just wait and see then, I don't mind installing from scratch, the only part that takes ages nowadays is the updates. As long as there is a handy driver disc I will be happy.

MrDgital

I am not sure if they will have updated to windows 8, because I haven't heard what is preinstalled now after windows 8 release, if you give PCS a ring, they should be able to tell you

I have tried windows 8 full version, not the pre-installed one. Its better to give the PCS a ring atleast.

SlickShoes

Just used the online help and got a reply pretty much instantly! The guy said he can ask them to install W7 Pro so that I can just pop my existing code in when the PC arrives, fantastic!

Toxophilix

Bright Spark
Just used the online help and got a reply pretty much instantly! The guy said he can ask them to install W7 Pro so that I can just pop my existing code in when the PC arrives, fantastic!
Excellent.

Tbh, you wouldn't get that service from Dell or HP or whoever.

dan536

Just ordered a PC without OS here too as I have Win7 64bit ultimate sat at home. Just called them myself asking the same thing and they'll test using my version so I can just put my key in when it arrives. Brilliant. Saves me a job. Glad I saw this thread.

SlickShoes

Aye it really is massive plus point like, my internet at home is playing up just now so I can only imagine how long the 100+ updates would take along with installing everything else for the first time!

I would never buy from DELL, they are the supplier for my workplace and since buying 120 in the summer we have a 10% failure rate so far, within 6 months!

SlickShoes

My PC arrived today and it is a beast, its fairly quiet, and it boots in 10seconds, its like living in the future!

So far I have only played Counter Strike Global Offensive but its running at 290FPS so I think thats pretty smooth!