Ordered RTX 3080 build.

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Just want good frames is that too much to ask? I will be getting a 240Hz monitor soon after I get the pc
4K 144hz monitors aren't all that common considering the beef of the GPU that is required to run one. Not all that many exist then actually finding one in stock is even more difficult. If you were to step down to 1440p a LOT more options exist including 240hz options if you're looking for max framerates. The Samsung G7 is a good option, it's a 1440p, 240hz curved monitor for about £540 on Amazon. A 3080 will comfortably run that monitor and I'm sure a 3070 would too if you were happy to lower your graphics options a bit. Then another step down from that 1440p 144hz is still a fantastic experience and a 3070 would be a perfect fit, saving you a lot of money and a lot of time waiting. 2 good options are the Samsung G5 and the AOC CQ27G2U.

That said there are also a number of issues with the build you've presented us. The fact it's not AMD, the single fan AIO cooler, the budget case choice just to name a few. If I were you and you haven't been in the queue very long I'd highly recommend cancelling, then deciding what monitor you want to run and coming back to us with your budget so we can have another go

4K 144hz monitors aren't all that common considering the beef of the GPU that is required to run one. Not all that many exist then actually finding one in stock is even more difficult. If you were to step down to 1440p a LOT more options exist including 240hz options if you're looking for max framerates. The Samsung G7 is a good option, it's a 1440p, 240hz curved monitor for about £540 on Amazon. A 3080 will comfortably run that monitor and I'm sure a 3070 would too if you were happy to lower your graphics options a bit. Then another step down from that 1440p 144hz is still a fantastic experience and a 3070 would be a perfect fit, saving you a lot of money and a lot of time waiting. 2 good options are the Samsung G5 and the AOC CQ27G2U.

That said there are also a number of issues with the build you've presented us. The fact it's not AMD, the single fan AIO cooler, the budget case choice just to name a few. If I were you and you haven't been in the queue very long I'd highly recommend cancelling, then deciding what monitor you want to run and coming back to us with your budget so we can have another go
Agreed especially at the case and aio choice

JosAtk

Trying to afford you as much respect as possible..... But..... If your opening post ordered PC is the result of your research, I'd be trying to come to the realisation your research is not worth a great deal.
As stated before I'm moving to a 240Hz monitor and the gpu will also age well with future titles so I wont have to upgrade for a huge amount of time :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
As stated before I'm moving to a 240Hz monitor and the gpu will also age well with future titles so I wont have to upgrade for a huge amount of time :)
You keep saying that, but what resolution?

We're not trying to fool you here, we're trying to get you a really good performing machine.

If you overspec the GPU, it doesn't magically make it look better or anything, all that power goes to waste and will never be used, it's just wasted, might as well throw money down the drain.

Saying "240Hz monitor" suggests 1080p in which case the 3080 is completely pointless, even a 3070 would be overpowered.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If I was to get an RTX 3070 instead would a 850W power supply be overkill or no?
850 would be the optimum for any system. it's not about it's current requirements, but those for the lifetime of the build.

Believe me, you're expected usage out of the PC will change over the 7 - 10 years you have it and you want to support any upgrades you may do in the future.

But we can't really help much unless you tell us what monitor you're going to be using, what resolution?

JosAtk

850 would be the optimum for any system. it's not about it's current requirements, but those for the lifetime of the build.

Believe me, you're expected usage out of the PC will change over the 7 - 10 years you have it and you want to support any upgrades you may do in the future.

But we can't really help much unless you tell us what monitor you're going to be using, what resolution?
Think I'm going for the RTX 3070. Too expensive for a 4K monitor at 144Hz so going to stick with my trusty 1080p. Thank you for the help appreciate it :)

JosAtk

Overall change the CPU from the i7 10700K to the i7 10700 because I wont be overclocking and keeping the standard thermal paste and the rtx 3080 to the rtx 3070. What we have all learned is that I know nothing about computers which is the reason I posted lmao

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Overall change the CPU from the i7 10700K to the i7 10700 because I wont be overclocking and keeping the standard thermal paste and the rtx 3080 to the rtx 3070. What we have all learned is that I know nothing about computers which is the reason I posted lmao
The 10700 isn't just a locked CPU, it has much lower single core speeds. It's a really poor idea.

I would just accept our help in advising you of something far better for your money.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
1080p! Finally, the resolution is revealed.

You’d be better off with a 3060Ti as your GPU if it’s 240Hz, you’d only want to consider the 3070 if you’re a serious competitive gamer. You’d also be better off with an AMD CPU, as stated much earlier in the thread, you’re on a hiding to nothing heading down the i7 route.

I fear this will fall on deaf ears, though. The advice given so far seems to have been taken with a pinch of salt.

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Think I'm going for the RTX 3070. Too expensive for a 4K monitor at 144Hz so going to stick with my trusty 1080p. Thank you for the help appreciate it :)
A 3070 would be way overkill for a 1080p monitor, you'd be looking at a 3060 or even 2060 for a 1080p monitor.

You also don't have to go 4K, you could go 1440p which is a great experience still and also unlocks 240hz as you were saying you want max framerates. a good 1440p 240hz is the Samsung G7, it's about £540 on Amazon and you could likely run it on a 3070 if you were happy to lower the graphics settings a bit. Alternatively you could go 1440p 144hz which will be enough for most people and you could run that very comfortably on a 3070 or even a 3060TI if you want to save a bit.

Your decisions seem to be all over the place, originally you wanted 4K 240hz (which doesn't exist) with a 3080, now you're on a 1080p monitor. We also still haven't heard your budget so I think a fresh start is needed.

What is your budget? (if you would like a new monitor in the budget please say)
What will that monitor be? If it's your current one, what's the resolution and refresh rate? If it's a new one, which one is it, or would you like us to decide for you?
What will it be used for? If gaming, what games will you be playing, and will you be streaming? If it's for work, what programs will you need to run for that?

Also how long have you been in the queue? It's likely the best answer will be cancelling and going for a totally different build, is this something you're happy to do?

JosAtk

The 10700 isn't just a locked CPU, it has much lower single core speeds. It's a really poor idea.

I would just accept our help in advising you of something far better for your money.
Is there much performance difference between the two processors?

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Is there much performance difference between the two processors?
Not vastly, it’s the similarity you’ll need to pay attention to: they’re very bad investments. A chip at the end of its lifespan, riddled with flaws and about to be superseded by a newer version... which is also not looking great. Bottom line is that Intel are not the way to go, we’d highly recommend cancelling and creating a whole new order with the advice that people are offering 👍

JosAtk

A 3070 would be way overkill for a 1080p monitor, you'd be looking at a 3060 or even 2060 for a 1080p monitor.

You also don't have to go 4K, you could go 1440p which is a great experience still and also unlocks 240hz as you were saying you want max framerates. a good 1440p 240hz is the Samsung G7, it's about £540 on Amazon and you could likely run it on a 3070 if you were happy to lower the graphics settings a bit. Alternatively you could go 1440p 144hz which will be enough for most people and you could run that very comfortably on a 3070 or even a 3060TI if you want to save a bit.

Your decisions seem to be all over the place, originally you wanted 4K 240hz (which doesn't exist) with a 3080, now you're on a 1080p monitor. We also still haven't heard your budget so I think a fresh start is needed.

What is your budget? (if you would like a new monitor in the budget please say)
What will that monitor be? If it's your current one, what's the resolution and refresh rate? If it's a new one, which one is it, or would you like us to decide for you?
What will it be used for? If gaming, what games will you be playing, and will you be streaming? If it's for work, what programs will you need to run for that?

Also how long have you been in the queue? It's likely the best answer will be cancelling and going for a totally different build, is this something you're happy to do?
Not vastly, it’s the similarity you’ll need to pay attention to: they’re very bad investments. A chip at the end of its lifespan, riddled with flaws and about to be superseded by a newer version... which is also not looking great. Bottom line is that Intel are not the way to go, we’d highly recommend cancelling and creating a whole new order with the advice that people are offering 👍
Okay I will try and do this but there is no option to cancel on the website so how do I go about cancelling?

D

Deleted member 17413

The two Intel ones youve listed or do you mean Intel and its AMD equivilent?
Ive read through this whole thread and I have to say I really dont get why you are so set on Intel.

You are paying more for a chip that gives worse performance (across the board with 5000 series) and is known to have real thermal issues and security flaws. Intel are trading off nothing more than brand recognition right now and need a serious overhaul.

Should also point out, Spyder knows his stuff inside and out, if he's telling you something its for a very good reason!

I dont quite get why you are focused on 240fps either... anything over 120fps and your eyesight has to be -fantastic- to see any difference (like ridiculously fantastic). Are you going into proper competitive gaming? This is the only place where it actually makes a difference...

1080p 144Hz will run absolutely beautifully off a 3060Ti, Most people upgrading monitors would move to a 1440p 144Hz or 165Hz in which case a 3070 will run it beautifully, a 3060Ti would run it but its gonna make the card work for it.

When it comes to building a spec, even more so now given parts shortages and the price hike thats come with it, I would really stress at spending on what you need rather than what you might do in a year.

D

Deleted member 17413

Okay I will try and do this but there is no option to cancel on the website so how do I go about cancelling?

You would need to email them or phone.
I would then give some specifics here about budget and actual planned purchases or current gear and then see what gets put together.

Take advantage of the fact that people like spyder, ubyusa and scott are proper professionals and you arent having to pay for their advice!

JosAtk

You would need to email them or phone.
I would then give some specifics here about budget and actual planned purchases or current gear and then see what gets put together.

Take advantage of the fact that people like spyder, ubyusa and scott are proper professionals and you arent having to pay for their advice!
Going to try and make a ryzen 7 5800x build and get this one cancelled tomorrow

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Going to try and make a ryzen 7 5800x build and get this one cancelled tomorrow
I'd suggest getting advice before ordering anything. We're very good at this believe it or not, we aren't employed by PCS, we're all fellow gamers and tech enthusiasts and only interested in getting you the best experience.

Firstly, can you clarify, do you currently have a 1080p 240Hz monitor? Or is this something you're thinking about getting?

What kinds of games do you play?

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'd suggest getting advice before ordering anything. We're very good at this believe it or not, we aren't employed by PCS, we're all fellow gamers and tech enthusiasts and only interested in getting you the best experience.

Firstly, can you clarify, do you currently have a 1080p 240Hz monitor? Or is this something you're thinking about getting?

All of this ^ and what's the budget? @JosAtk I still don't think we know that yet

JosAtk

Something I’m thinking about getting and I play rust, warzone and red dead 2 to name a few