Ordering a new laptop... reviewing the whole process/service received.

Bhuna50

Author Level
ah no sorry - just realised its on High - but cant say I notice a lot of difference between epic and high - other than frame rate drops to 25

PeterW

Bronze Level Poster
Dear Andy ,
Many thanks for that in depth review , you've chased away any doubt I may have had , it was mostly the screen issue I was wary of as a PCS customer had raised an issue with the Optimus he had bought - for £1500+ I would expect a machine that's fit for purpose , I would expect no issues whatsoever I hope that when I press the button that I get a Defiance or an Octane as good as what you received [ though the flimsy lid doesn't sound good ] - I would rather pay extra for a laptop without faults than buy one where cut backs have caused the company to use second rate materials .
Thanks , Andy for an honest review , I have the money , it's now just deciding which machine to go for , it's between the Defiance 2 , the Octane 2 or perhaps a known brand , PCS certainly give more value for money than any other company so they're in 1st place just now .

Bhuna50

Author Level
PeterW,

Just to clarify re the lid - it is not flimsy, just more flexible than what I'm used to - its hard to explain. It certainly isn't cheap materials. If you are gloucestershire (live in Gloucester) or Bristol (I work in Bristol) based at all, PM me and I can always arrange to show you.

Andy.

PeterW

Bronze Level Poster
PeterW,

Just to clarify re the lid - it is not flimsy, just more flexible than what I'm used to - its hard to explain. It certainly isn't cheap materials. If you are gloucestershire (live in Gloucester) or Bristol (I work in Bristol) based at all, PM me and I can always arrange to show you.

Andy.

Hi Andy ,
Unfortunately I live up high in the Scottish Wilderness or it would be a pleasure to meet up and see your laptop but your word is good enough for me .
We did pass the exit for Bristol last Summer on our way to Bideford for a holiday and we'll be returning , this time by train to visit our friends who live there . I still can't decide between the Octane and the Defiance though today it's looking like the latter . The 17.3" Defiance offers fantastic value for money though I'm wondering if the Octane 2 is a little more robust , what are your thoughts ? They look very similar in the photos .
I'm looking for a sturdy machine with an excellent screen .
Thanks for your help , Andy .

Bhuna50

Author Level
In all honesty PeterW, I don't wish to comment on the Octane as I don't use one - all I will say is that I was torn between the two myself as well and my final decision purely went down to how much I could truly afford rather than being silly and going with what I thought I might be able to afford :) LOL :)

Build wise I would say they are pretty similar - and as for any doubts you have because of my comments, please remember this is purely just my opinion based on using a brick of a laptop previously - this machine is good and sturdy although apparently according to CYRI I wont be able to run Tom Clancys Division but cant see why that is...although the minimum spec seems to imply you need a quad core 3.2gig processor for that game...surely they are not limiting their customer base that much.

Back to the laptop - I am getting more and more confident about the screen now - it is actually sturdier than I think - just me being picky I suppose and used to a thicker lid to a laptop.

Rakk

The Awesome
That seems bizarre, as PCS are shipping The Division with certain GPUs purchased!

Well do remember that the free game offer is NVidia's free game offer in this case, and doesn't really have anything to do with PCS, so it is based entirely on which NVidia GPU you get - it's not as if NVidia know what else you'll have in your machine anyway.

MrCobain

Bronze Level Poster
Well do remember that the free game offer is NVidia's free game offer in this case, and doesn't really have anything to do with PCS, so it is based entirely on which NVidia GPU you get - it's not as if NVidia know what else you'll have in your machine anyway.

Yeah [fair enough].

Last edited by a moderator:

Bhuna50

Author Level
I'm just going on minimum specs that Steam show for the game:

MINIMUM:
OS: Windows® 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
Processor: Intel Core i5-2400 | AMD FX-6100, or better
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 with 2 GB VRAM (current equivalent NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760) | AMD Radeon HD 7770 with 2 GB VRAM, or better - See supported List*
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 40 GB available space
Additional Notes: Laptop models of these desktop cards may work as long as they are on-par in terms of performance with at least the minimum configuration. For an up-to-date list of supported hardware, please visit the FAQ for this game on our website: http://support.ubi.com.*Supported NVIDIA cards at time of release: GeForce GTX500 series: GeForce GTX560 (2 GB VRAM) or better • GeForce GTX600 series: GeForce GTX660 or better • GeForce GTX700 series: GeForce GTX760 or better • GeForce GTX900 Titan series: GeForce GTX960 or better • Supported AMD cards at time of release: Radeon HD7000 series: Radeon HD7770 (2 GB VRAM) or better • Radeon 200 series: Radeon R7 270 or better • Radeon 300/Fury X series: Radeon R7 370 or better.

Now this is my computer ignorance here sorry but the i5-2400 is listed as a quad core 3.1ghz - therefore does that mean my i7-6700hq being a 2.6 quad core - isn't enough or are the later processors better? I have read elsewhere that I should be able to run it quite well however am worried if I prepurchase a game that wont run on my set up.

MrCobain

Bronze Level Poster
I'm just going on minimum specs that Steam show for the game:

MINIMUM:
OS: Windows® 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
Processor: Intel Core i5-2400 | AMD FX-6100, or better
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 with 2 GB VRAM (current equivalent NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760) | AMD Radeon HD 7770 with 2 GB VRAM, or better - See supported List*
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 40 GB available space
Additional Notes: Laptop models of these desktop cards may work as long as they are on-par in terms of performance with at least the minimum configuration. For an up-to-date list of supported hardware, please visit the FAQ for this game on our website: http://support.ubi.com.*Supported NVIDIA cards at time of release: GeForce GTX500 series: GeForce GTX560 (2 GB VRAM) or better • GeForce GTX600 series: GeForce GTX660 or better • GeForce GTX700 series: GeForce GTX760 or better • GeForce GTX900 Titan series: GeForce GTX960 or better • Supported AMD cards at time of release: Radeon HD7000 series: Radeon HD7770 (2 GB VRAM) or better • Radeon 200 series: Radeon R7 270 or better • Radeon 300/Fury X series: Radeon R7 370 or better.

Now this is my computer ignorance here sorry but the i5-2400 is listed as a quad core 3.1ghz - therefore does that mean my i7-6700hq being a 2.6 quad core - isn't enough or are the later processors better? I have read elsewhere that I should be able to run it quite well however am worried if I prepurchase a game that wont run on my set up.

Hang on if you want, I get a free copy with my laptop, will try it and let you know!

Also sorry Mods, I didn't realise that was swearing before.

Bhuna50

Author Level
I took the plunge and purchased the game....WOW....

:)

No time to write much else, got a hostage situation to sort out...

Bhuna50

Author Level
lol Brillant :) Hope you can run it well.

[rollinglaugh]

Extremely well. Its not ultra / high on all settings but its quite high (I'm not listing everything) - it certainly is enough for me to enjoy the game and then when I run the in game benchmark, I'm still getting 60 fps, plus its using 60% CPU and 80% GPU on average.

Fans turn themselves up, but I cant say Ive noticed how hot its actually getting - certainly not maximum fan anyway.

anyway sorry gotta go and keep my head down...damn snipers..