Our new system. Have I made any mistakes?

VikCha

Hi all, I wonder if you could help.

I splashed out on this PC and then discovered the forum!

Have I made any glaring errors?

This is the system I have ordered:

Case
LIAN LI O11DYNAMIC XL ROG CERTIFIED GAMING CASE
Custom Liquid Cooling Kit
Liquid Series RGB Lian Li PC011D – EK
Tubing
Clear Hardline PETG Tubing (Bent/Metallic Fittings)
Graphics Card Cooling
GPU Water Block - For One Graphics Card!
Coolant Colour
EK-CryoFuel Orange
LED Lighting
2x 50cm RGB LED Strip
Overclocked CPU
Overclocked AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 Core (3.4GHz @ up to 4.65GHz)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
24GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090 - HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive
1TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Braided Power Supply Cables
CORSAIR Premium Individually Sleeved PSU Cable Kit Pro - Red/Black
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Supplied on USB Drive
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Warranty
3 Year Platinum Warranty (3 Year Collect & Return, 3 Year Parts, 3 Year labour)

Any help would be appreciated.

Vik

D

Deleted member 17413

I really cant recommend this build.
Open loop liquid cooling comes with a host of its own issues, overclocking an AMD chip only improves it in a specific set of use cases, and also had to be done the right way or theres no point (possibly more likely reduction in performance).
With a closed loop AIO cooler and specing a system that way, same budget will give significantly better specs.

Why a 3090 GPU? and 5950X CPU? What are you intending to use the machine for? Those sort of specs are more high end production/intensive number crunching machines.

The storage is confusing me as well, need to really know what you intend to so with the build to know what specs you sould be aming for.
What monitor are you intending to pair with this?

Also, bullguard...its essentially bloatware and can cause issues, I would remove it (dont need anything more than windows defender and malwarebytes for occational extra scans)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigfoot

Grand Master
What are you intend to do with your pc - gaming, video editing, photoshop, etc.? What monitor will you be using (make and model or resolution and refresh rate)? What is your maximum budget? Are you prepared for the maintenance required for a custom liquid cooled system? Nowadays all this really gives you is unnecessary cost and hassle refilling the system and changing tubing, with the possibility of leaks. An AIO will provide enough cooling and @AgentCooper will be able to specify more bling than you need.

scarpa1

Enthusiast
I really cant recommend this build.
Open loop liquid cooling comes with a host of its own issues, overclocking an AMD chip only improves it in a specific set of use cases, and also had to be done the right way or theres no point (possibly more likely reduction in performance).
With a closed loop AIO cooler and specing a system that way, same budget will give significantly better specs.

Why a 3090 GPU? and 5950C CPU? What are you intending to use the machine for? Those sort of specs are more high end production/intensivernumber crunching machines.

The storage is confusing me as well, need to really know what you intend to so with the build to know what specs you sould be aming for.
What monitor are you intending to pair with this?

Also, bullguard...its essentially bloatware and can cause issues, I would remove it (dont need anything more than windows defender and malwarebytes for occational extra scans)
I purchased a similar build (NOV 2020) but with a 3080 strix and 5900X and have had pretty much zero issues with it bar a few ram problems which loads of people have had. This is sorted now anyway.
As for than maintenance, so far all I have done is dust and clean the PC, the liquid only needs changing every 1 to 2 years as recommend by PCS and if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself then you can send it to PCS for it to be done.

As for the overclocking, the CPU wont be overclocked other than its own built in boost, they only put OC down as PCS OC the liquid series parts where possible.

Performance is excellent and the cooling is far better than any AIO cooler, unless you can find me an AIO cooler that keeps a 3080 this cool during Timespy
https://www.3dmark.com/spy/19001984

4k 120hz display, ultra settings, the GPU after hours of gameplay is still is cool as a cucumber.

CPU keeps nice a low too, the cooling is just first rate.

Isn't a lot of love on here for liquid series builds but in regards to the OP, if its what you want then go for it, yes it costs a bit more but its well worth it.
If you are on a budget though then perhaps go the AIO route as it will save you money.

Last edited:

VikCha

Hi Sibun1 and Bigfoot. Thanks for your time.

This will be used for 4K video editing, photoshop and a new radiology AI tool which is CPU and GPU intensive.

A colleague has a similar system (i9 with RTX 3080) and it’s very loud. That’s why I went for the liquid cooled system.

So I’m happy to have some maintenance, as long as it keeps it cool and not loud.

I would also like to play some games. I haven’t bought a monitor yet, thought I would get one as soon as I was close to delivery.

Thanks for the advice concerning BullGuard.

Vikesh

D

Deleted member 17413

Firstly, wouldnt touch Intel for your needs, AMD is a much better choice.
Secondly, case selection, fan choice and cooler choice make a -huge- difference to sound levels. As will sticking an Intel chip in which runs hot so everything has to work harder to cool stuff....
Thirdly, with the budget it take for the system like the one above, you can build more or less anything.

What is your actual budget, and what monitor are you looking at using with it?
If photoshop, are you also using premiere pro for video editing? What can you tell us about this radiology AI tool?
Im going to assume a 4K one if video editing in 4K?

D

Deleted member 17413

As @scarpa1 says, we generally don’t give props to most liquid series systems but there are use cases where it could be a boon and this is a scenario where it has the potential to prove to be very beneficial 👍
You mean, the dream is still alive?

I do love specing the extremem water cooled builds... they just sound -delicious- on a spec sheet...
RGB it to hell and use UV responsive liquid for cooling with UV lighting strips!
Disco fans, disco RAM...EVERYTHING in a lian li razer special edition case...

scarpa1

Enthusiast
You mean, the dream is still alive?

I do love specing the extremem water cooled builds... they just sound -delicious- on a spec sheet...
RGB it to hell and use UV responsive liquid for cooling with UV lighting strips!
Disco fans, disco RAM...EVERYTHING in a lian li razer special edition case...
I have the UV liquid in mine along with the UV strips. I have updated the strips to UV and RGB recently so I can have a change from the purple UV always being on.
Does look pretty cool though with no lighting and just the UV liquid showing.

VikCha

Thanks for all your help and replies.

The AI tool reformats trauma CTs (which are on average over 6000 separate images) into separate 3D reconstructions for certain body systems. There will be around 9 or 10 different reconstructions running at the same time.

I’m not sure about what monitor I will be using, as long as it is 4K.

I was uncertain about the refresh rate, does it make a big difference.

Do you think the orange coolant will look fine? I can’t seem to see any pictures online.

Vikesh

Ash_

Master Poster
I purchased a similar build (NOV 2020) but with a 3080 strix and 5900X and have had pretty much zero issues with it bar a few ram problems which loads of people have had. This is sorted now anyway.
As for than maintenance, so far all I have done is dust and clean the PC, the liquid only needs changing every 1 to 2 years as recommend by PCS and if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself then you can send it to PCS for it to be done.

As for the overclocking, the CPU wont be overclocked other than its own built in boost, they only put OC down as PCS OC the liquid series parts where possible.

Performance is excellent and the cooling is far better than any AIO cooler, unless you can find me an AIO cooler that keeps a 3080 this cool during Timespy

4k 120hz display, ultra settings, the GPU after hours of gameplay is still is cool as a cucumber.

Isn't a lot of love on here for liquid series builds but in regards to the OP, if its what you want then go for it, yes it costs a bit more but its well worth it.
If you are on a budget though then perhaps go the AIO route as it will save you money.
I agree that liquids still have purpose and 41 degrees is great but... the danger zone for gpu’s is over 80 degrees. With a decent airflow case, gpu’s don’t tend to be above 70 degrees and the different between 40-70 for an extra few hundred.

I think they look absolutely awesome though and would definitely consider one, if i ever needed a pc that was strained for a lot of it’s life. But most people generally don’t have the environment that needs it. PC’s working on the vaccines would have been water-cooled for sure and with good reason.

Interestingly though, does your strix still have its fans etc attached? I thought all of that was removed for water builds?

scarpa1

Enthusiast
I agree that liquids still have purpose and 41 degrees is great but... the danger zone for gpu’s is over 80 degrees. With a decent airflow case, gpu’s don’t tend to be above 70 degrees and the different between 40-70 for an extra few hundred.

I think they look absolutely awesome though and would definitely consider one, if i ever needed a pc that was strained for a lot of it’s life. But most people generally don’t have the environment that needs it. PC’s working on the vaccines would have been water-cooled for sure and with good reason.

Interestingly though, does your strix still have its fans etc attached? I thought all of that was removed for water builds?
No the fans are not attached.

Below is a pic of what Ive got sitting in a box. Basically looks like the whole card minus the insides.
20201220_201526.jpg

scarpa1

Enthusiast
Thanks for all your help and replies.

The AI tool reformats trauma CTs (which are on average over 6000 separate images) into separate 3D reconstructions for certain body systems. There will be around 9 or 10 different reconstructions running at the same time.

I’m not sure about what monitor I will be using, as long as it is 4K.

I was uncertain about the refresh rate, does it make a big difference.

Do you think the orange coolant will look fine? I can’t seem to see any pictures online.

Vikesh
I'm sure it will look pretty cool but just remember it will be orange all the time so any other RGB sort of needs to fit in. I'm a big Orange fan and nearly picked it but thought would it be better to choose something clear that kinds of changes with the RGB going on in the case.

I went for the clear blue UV coolant which is totally clear with no UV strips on and then a blue/purple colour when its on.
Also when the UV strips aren't on any RGB you have on inside from the fans, CPU and GPU blocks, the coolant being clear you pick up the colours in the liquid, if that makes sense.
I added a UV/RGB led strip so I can have either UV or RGB on or both so when its on RGB mode, say red then the liquid will have the red shining through.

scarpa1

Enthusiast
Seems like a waste of a strix 🤣
Yes it does. First off I thought they had sent me another by mistake.
You can get the 3080 strix pre installed into the waterblock now, think it came out October, November time which was after I had ordered.
Guess that saves money though I'm not sure how much they are.

VikCha

I'm sure it will look pretty cool but just remember it will be orange all the time so any other RGB sort of needs to fit in. I'm a big Orange fan and nearly picked it but thought would it be better to choose something clear that kinds of changes with the RGB going on in the case.

I went for the clear blue UV coolant which is totally clear with no UV strips on and then a blue/purple colour when its on.
Also when the UV strips aren't on any RGB you have on inside from the fans, CPU and GPU blocks, the coolant being clear you pick up the colours in the liquid, if that makes sense.
I added a UV/RGB led strip so I can have either UV or RGB on or both so when its on RGB mode, say red then the liquid will have the red shining through.
Thanks for your help.

I might double think the orange now .....

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I would strongly recommend the following:

Hero Motherboard
500GB 980 Pro M2 drive
1TB 980 Pro M2 drive
1000W RMx PSU

The OC will likely work in your favour given your uses so should suit well, be sure to benchmark/check your throughput with the OC on and off though, just to be sure.

This is one of the few cases where a build like this would actually be recommended. When spending the cash like this you might as well get it looking sweet too :D

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo

Looks like that score is very much middling to me to be honest? It's certainly not a high ranker on the leaderboards. The 40°C is nice, but that card doesn't run hot without the watercooler on there anyway. Most temps are around 50C for a Timespy run (that I've seen anyway). You need to really push a STRIX to get it to heat up, it's designed for OCing so has quite the thermal capacity.

I'm more impressed with your CPU OC. Is that running a 4.9Ghz all-core OC? I would be VERY pleased with that from a 5900X. How were the temps on the CPU? Did they run optimal?

The main benefit with a watercooled system is silence. It's a little finicky to get an AIO on a GPU so a full open loop system is often the best option where it's warranted. The 3090 will make good use of the watercooling I think.

I know @SpyderTracks has, or had, a GPU with an AIO attached. They work very well but are sometimes a bit of a niche market to get a hold of.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I know @SpyderTracks has, or had, a GPU with an AIO attached. They work very well but are sometimes a bit of a niche market to get a hold of.
Mine if a GTX1080 founders edition, then I stripped the cooler and added a custom EVGA modular AIO specially designed for the card.

You can of course get hybrid cards already with the AIO attached, but there are only a couple of models available. Well worth doing, keeps the temps right down.

scarpa1

Enthusiast
Looks like that score is very much middling to me to be honest? It's certainly not a high ranker on the leaderboards. The 40°C is nice, but that card doesn't run hot without the watercooler on there anyway. Most temps are around 50C for a Timespy run (that I've seen anyway). You need to really push a STRIX to get it to heat up, it's designed for OCing so has quite the thermal capacity.

I'm more impressed with your CPU OC. Is that running a 4.9Ghz all-core OC? I would be VERY pleased with that from a 5900X. How were the temps on the CPU? Did they run optimal?

The main benefit with a watercooled system is silence. It's a little finicky to get an AIO on a GPU so a full open loop system is often the best option where it's warranted. The 3090 will make good use of the watercooling I think.

All the high scores on the leaderboard are all OC machines to the max being cooled by liquid nitrogen, PC stood in a freezer with 40 fans aimed at it.
The clock speeds on the gpus are a lot higher than the factory oc gpu I have, memory frequency too. Plus whatever else they are pushing to the max.
Mine is out of the box how PCS set it up, nothing changed whatsoever.

I'm not the most clued up on PCs in the regards to the CPU speed you mention, all I can say is it generally hits those speeds when benchmarks are run, and has gone as high as 5011 mhz
The CPU runs hotter than the GPU, think its around 60-65 during timespy stuff.
Long gaming sessions say 5-6 hours and at 4k highest settings possible that are suitable the Cpu can go into the high 70s but it tends to be briefly, like a spike kind of thing like when a game loads up,probably averages in the mid 60's.

The Gpu rarely goes into the 50's.

This is with the fans running pretty silent.

Last edited: