over complicated DCS

chrissib

Bronze Level Poster
Hi experts..

I have just upgraded my long overdue laptop, and now with windows 11 and quite a good spec, I thought I would try and get back into a flight simulator.

So after watching a few reviews and videos, I downloaded the much acclaimed DCS, which took most of my hard disk space, and found to be so realistic, I think I will need to become a proper pilot.

As I enjoy the thrill of the actual flight, including take off and landings, I remember back in the days of games driven by CD, there was a really good game called 'Combat Flight Simulator 3' which was pretty realistic, and not over complicated. And I was wondering if this game or something similar, is available, as a download for Windows 11. Something you don't need a PHD in just starting an engine.

I am not criticising DCS, obviously it is very good, but I feel it is for the fanatics who want to set their systems up into a simulated cockpit, for me I just have a joystick and a keyboard.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Chris (badgerdiddy)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I would have a look at Project Wingman if that's your kind of thing. It's pretty realistic without being crazy complicated.

There's also Ace Combat 7. I actually completed it, which is rare for me. I really enjoyed it, very arcade like but good fun.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Oh... if you want to stick with realistic then MSFS has controller input simplicity. You can change the settings to be as simple as possible, where you only need the likes of a PS or XB controller to fully enjoy the game. Good fun with the Maverick DLC

It's quite pricey though so would be worth trying on a gamepass or something, to see if it's your bag.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Oh... if you want to stick with realistic then MSFS has controller input simplicity. You can change the settings to be as simple as possible, where you only need the likes of a PS or XB controller to fully enjoy the game. Good fun with the Maverick DLC

It's quite pricey though so would be worth trying on a gamepass or something, to see if it's your bag.
Just be aware it’s HUGE as well, although DCS is huge too.

I only installed it for a couple of days just to have a snoop around. The level of detail in it is the most incredible thing I’ve ever seen on PC, even at 1080p, you’d be flying 30,000 feet above a city on a clear night and you could make out individual cars and buildings below, no joke, it is insanely detailed.

If you wanted a no fuss controller, the Xbox controllers are plug and play, even with Steam.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
PS is now too thankfully. That's what I use, now that they come in adult sizes :ROFLMAO:
Ah, there you go, that shows how long ago I used a controller on a pc game! I always preferred PS controllers personally but then I returned the original Xbox as though the graphics were crappy and the games dull. But I’d just bought my first PC at the time which actually had a decent dGPU so that may have affected my decision!

chrissib

Bronze Level Poster
ok I really appreciate your responses...and they all seem to have their own pros and cons...

problem with MSFS is that it is expensive and huge again, but if I run into the same problem as DCS then I will have bought something I won't really enjoy.

I was rather hoping that someone would say there is a downloadable version of the game I used to have, CFS3, as this was tried and tested, or something not too expensive.

I note with a lot of the so called arcade simulators, that they were more aimed at the dog fight...and start with the plane in the air, and there are no landings or take offs, only finishing when you get shot down or complete a kill count. I am afraid, this doesn't appeal to me, which its why Combat Flight Simulator was so good, it included everything, without the overcomplicated pilot school.

I think I will start by uninstalling DCS...I can't get the engine to start on one of the free planes anyway...clear my hard drive, and try one of your suggestions other than MSFS, see what happens.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
ok I really appreciate your responses...and they all seem to have their own pros and cons...

problem with MSFS is that it is expensive and huge again, but if I run into the same problem as DCS then I will have bought something I won't really enjoy.

I was rather hoping that someone would say there is a downloadable version of the game I used to have, CFS3, as this was tried and tested, or something not too expensive.

I note with a lot of the so called arcade simulators, that they were more aimed at the dog fight...and start with the plane in the air, and there are no landings or take offs, only finishing when you get shot down or complete a kill count. I am afraid, this doesn't appeal to me, which its why Combat Flight Simulator was so good, it included everything, without the overcomplicated pilot school.

I think I will start by uninstalling DCS...I can't get the engine to start on one of the free planes anyway...clear my hard drive, and try one of your suggestions other than MSFS, see what happens.
Microsoft have currently removed it due to the release of one of the biggest games for a long time, Starfield, but I’m sure it will return.

They do a 99p for a month introductory offer for Microsoft GamePass which is valid on PC (through the XBox app). You can then play any game during that month on gamepass, including MSFS, that’s how I tried it. It did take me a couple of days to install it, but was so worth it just to see it firsthand even if it isn’t my kind of game.

You can then extend gamepass month by month for £12.99 currently (for ultimate, not sure what tier you need to included MSFS)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Ace Combat 7 has take off and landing at times, a lot of the time it's spawn mid-flight though as you say. Even when you are taking off and landing, it's very arcade (press go button, pull back stick, job done).

Project Wingman might be more involved, I can't actually remember.

I think MSFS would have the dynamic of simplicity you are after, it can be as in depth as you wish, the only down side is you're not going to have any combat. It's purely a world explore game with the odd task thrown in.