Overclocked 2600k

AirTimeAzn

Hey, i recently received my new overclocked 2600k pc and i was wondering why it says the cpu is at 3.40ghz in windows. Is this just a windows display error or?

AirTimeAzn

Hey, i downloaded performance test just before i saw your post and it says it was at 4600 something. I've downloaded cpu-z and it says atm it's 1600, is that to do with the 2600k power saving option or something? Is there a way to turn it off?

Killzoned

Bronze Level Poster
Not sure if am correct but apparently it'll only go to 4.6GHZ when it really needs it, For example if you're just browsing or leaving it IDLE it'll stay at 1.6ghz. I have the i7 2600k but not overclocked and right now my core speed is 1.6ghz
Whenever i load up a game, In this case Civilization 5 it'll go to 3.5GHZ
Why don't you open up CPU Z for a quick test, Leave it idle and it should be at 1.6ghz and then load up a game and check again, this time it should be at 4.6ghz for you

Last edited:

AirTimeAzn

Yeah i figured it was the idle thing. Would rather have it at 4.6 all the time thought but i guess it's not a big deal =p. Need to install all my games from steam first, gonna take a while.

silkysean

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah i figured it was the idle thing. Would rather have it at 4.6 all the time thought but i guess it's not a big deal =p. Need to install all my games from steam first, gonna take a while.

If you want to have it at 4.6 the whole time (which is crazy) you can turn speedstep off in the BIOS. You can also disable the C3 and C6 settings which allows windows to control processor state.