Overclocking 2700k with Fenrir Evo + 1070/1080 bottleneck?

JamesMLB

Enthusiast
Hey guys, long time no post!

I have a PCS rig from late 2011, just when the i7-2700k was released. I'm looking at upgrading my GPU from a GTX 760, I did upgrade from the Palit reference 580 that I got originally a few years ago.

I want to upgrade to a 1070/1080 now I've had a 144hz monitor for a few years but I've only been playing CSGO for the most part so I didn't need much more GPU wise. To get over 100fps in most other games at high settings I believe I need a GPU upgrade.

I haven't overclocked my CPU until now, however with a new GPU purchase I believe an overclock will reduce the severity of a bottleneck I will see from my CPU not being as new as other rigs with the Pascal cards. I have a Titan Fenrir Evo cooler which I have had on my CPU from stock, so I don't know whether it may need new thermal paste, or whether it will be sufficient as a cooler in 2017. I'm going to clean my PC very soon, probably tomorrow, so I will do some stress tests once I know dust isn't going to increase my temperatures. I will also have to compensate for temperatures as the weather is sure to affect air cooling.

Also, I guess you can call me a newb to this overclocking stuff so anyone who has used a Sandy Bridge OC in the past, it would be great to hear from you!

Other specs you may want to know are I have a HAF-X case and a P8Z68 V-PRO motherboard and HX750 psu.

TLDR: My main questions:

Is buying a 1070/1080 with an i7-2700k a good decision?

Is the Titan Fenrir Evo any good compared to newer air / water coolers, comparisons?

What clocks / voltages should I try?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
If it's this thing (or one of the other revisions)
http://www.titan-cd.com/en/product/TTC-NK85TZCS2V3_RB.html
https://web.archive.org/web/2015122...009/05/17/titan-fenrir-ttcnk85tz-cou-cooler/4

It should let you have at least bit of an overclock, depending on your CPU. I'd certainly see how far you get on that cooler before buying a new one.

This article may be of interest: http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2867-intel-i7-2600k-2017-benchmark-vs-7700k-1700-more?showall=1
It compares an i7 2600k (with an without) OC to modern gaming CPUs. It also comments briefly on overclocking the CPU. There will be many guides out there detailing the process specifically for sandy bridge.

JamesMLB

Enthusiast
Yeah, that's the one! My CPU has gone fairly close or equal to 70 degrees while gaming / benchmarking however this is prior to me cleaning it and then I will try some stress tests stock. I don't really want to be going into the 80+ degrees with this CPU and the weather atm doesn't help with ambient temperature etc. My GPU is in the 70-85 degree range when gaming as it is a GTX 760, but a MSI Twin Frozr.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
You could consider repasting your CPU cooler. This may help with temps.

What case do you have?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Sorry, missed that. It's a decent enough case afaik. You could try your temps with your existing cooler, and if they're warm try a repaste. 80 degrees while benchmarking especially in this heat is not bad tbh. My 3770k would likely exceed that if I set it on Prime or something with the ~32+ ambient temps indoors here.

If you get a new GPU and find the temps are quite warm at least your case should have a few extra fan mounting points, if you haven't already made use of those.