Overclocking AMD 965 (Black Edition) With TurboV...

Gelbs

Bronze Level Poster
I'm thinking of overclocking the cpu, and wondering how much faster it would be if I did? Although not sure how fast and stable it can go? TurboV has the race car, jet plane and rocket settings. But I can go even higher. Anyone know more about it and have they done the same with the same cpu? There's also cpu ratio. I have no idea what that does, though you can increase it with each core. The race car settings etc don't seem to do anything with the ratio. Would appreciate any advice on how much faster the cpu can run and what's the recommended and best TurboV settings are.

dogbot

Bright Spark
I have an AMD computer with the 965 but it has been languishing in the shed for about 3 years. I now have a PCS laptop which is twice as powerful.

The software you refer to are 2 of several programs that came on the DVD for the motherboard (in my case, an Asus M4A79XTD EVO). The EPU (with race car etc) and 'Cool and Quiet' programs were more about power saving. I never did use the Turbo V for overclocking. The manual gives some explanation and there should also be pdf's on the disc.

Having looked at the disc, it looks like any instructions are installed with the program(s) which I now can't do. Try your computer/ motherboard supplier.

Gelbs

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah I'm having a look about online. I have a new computer from PCS but it is currently back with them as having issues with it. The reason I'm looking at overclocking is purely down to The Witcher 3 coming out next week. Was one reason why I wanted a new pc. I doubt the 965 is going to run Witcher 3 even at low spec :(

mishra

Rising Star
I think it will. I'm not 100% sure as the game is still in the box on my desk at work. I have 955be and I am hoping it will work. In fact last night I over-clocked it from 3.2GHz to 4Ghz and seemed stable enough for few hours with Diablo 3.
Truth is Phenom is a very old CPU architecture now and it really need replacing ASAP - I am really surprised it served me so well for so long, it's unbelievable!

Gelbs

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah. It's always served me well if I'm honest. Even now. Witcher 3 seems okayish so far. Albeit a little choppy.