Overclocking i5-2500k

i was just wondering whether it is possible to overclock the i5-2500k with the basic cooler? i have seen it done before, but am wondering whether it may be harmful for the processor?

thanks for reading :)

mr_failage

Teaz

Godlike
you can but i wouldnt recommend overclocking it with stock coolers. upgrade it to a better cool for that.

what would you need to overclock it for? if its for gaming then it isnt really recommend. stock clocks will run just fine.

it's just that i saw it overclocked a bit with the stock cooler so was wondering how safe it would be, and the answer is obviously dont do it xD

R0B_

Bronze Level Poster
If it's to improve FPS on games then spending time and money on getting a new (or another in xfire/SLI) graphics card. In order to consider getting a noticeable improvement to the 2500k speed I would suggest a high end air cooler or a water cooling set-up. But as Teaz has said, it depends if there is a clear advantage to getting that little bit faster.

MrPompey

you can but i wouldnt recommend overclocking it with stock coolers. upgrade it to a better cool for that.

what would you need to overclock it for? if its for gaming then it isnt really recommend. stock clocks will run just fine.

I'm not sure I agree with this quote. Why is OC not recommended for gaming...I'd like to understand your view - Thanks

AndyL

The reason is becasue most games are GPU dependent and not so much CPU dependent therefore by overclocking your CPU by lets say 5% will see less than 5% increase fps - therefore it is a big risk for such a small gain! However, if you are doing something more CPU intensive such as HD Video editing then you will get more of a gain from overclocking your CPU.

Tehmoe

Gold Level Poster
I don't understand why everyone here really hates to overclock. It does actual help although in the end you get limited by your GPU most games benefit greatly from CPU power and some games are actual very CPU dependent such as MMO's and RTS and so on.

My personal view is that if you do your research and stress test your CPU after you overclock it there is no risk, no heat problems, the power difference isn't much as you usually dont increase the volts by a lot. I

f it was such a bad thing as most people seem to think then I'm sure PCS would not be offering it now would they?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
PCS offer it for people who need the power, games do not need it, and if you are playing CPU games, then people will buy a pre OCd one, overclocking will not benefit you when playing any normal games at the moment and not for a while, most games require about 8ghz combined power (usually quad core) and having 4x4ghz cores is clearly pointless, if you look at system monitor on a reg i5 whilst playing anything from bf3 to nfs you will find that the CPU cores are probably not even pushing 70% each, and that would be max settings

Tehmoe

Gold Level Poster
PCS offer it for people who need the power, games do not need it, and if you are playing CPU games, then people will buy a pre OCd one, overclocking will not benefit you when playing any normal games at the moment and not for a while, most games require about 8ghz combined power (usually quad core) and having 4x4ghz cores is clearly pointless, if you look at system monitor on a reg i5 whilst playing anything from bf3 to nfs you will find that the CPU cores are probably not even pushing 70% each, and that would be max settings

CPU games are not normal games :S, and my point is that its not this deadly thing you make it out to seem if it is clearly offered but PCS and most custom PC vendors. Also even if it uses 70% or 20% if you overclock you will see a improvement, it just at 1080p that improvement disappears as its mostly down to the GPU in these so called normal games.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Overclocking is really only a hobby for enthusiasts who really know what they are doing & involves running the CPU / GPU or whatever component is clocked above what it was designed for, you get a little extra performance,probably barely noticable to the average user and the result is a shorter lifespan & instability.If these are not issues you are willing to accept then an overclocked system is not the way to go.
I could see the point of it if you had system that was struggling & couldn't afford to upgrade,
other than that I would forget it.
Just my opinion

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Overclocking is really only a hobby for enthusiasts who really know what they are doing & involves running the CPU / GPU or whatever component is clocked above what it was designed for, you get a little extra performance,probably barely noticable to the average user and the result is a shorter lifespan & instability.If these are not issues you are willing to accept then an overclocked system is not the way to go.
I could see the point of it if you had system that was struggling & couldn't afford to upgrade,
other than that I would forget it.
Just my opinion

tooou-chéééé