Overclocking my i5 [email protected]

Minsky

hey guys!

I am waiting for my new system and these are the settings you've added to my order page:

AI Overclock Tuner: Manual
BLCK Freq: 100.00
Turbo Ratio: Enabled (All Cores)
By All Cores: 46
Internal PLL OverVoltage: Enabled
Mem Freq: 1600 MHz
EPU Power Saving: Disabled
Load-Line Calibration: Extreme Mode
VRM Freq: Auto
Phase Control: Extreme
Duty Contorl: Extreme
CPU Current Capability: 110%
CPU OverVoltage: Manual Mode
CPU Manual Voltage: 1.40V
DRAM Voltage: 1.650V
VCCSA Voltage: 1.1250V
VCCIO Voltage: 1.150V
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.81250V
PCH Voltage: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
CPU Ratio: auto
Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor: Enabled
Intel Virtualization: Disabled
Intel SpeedStep: Enabled
Turbo Mode: Enabled
CPU C1E: Disabled

and i have got few questions about it:

1. CPU Manual Voltage: 1.40V ? Is it not too much? There is everyone recommend to put 1.36V maximum. Can you change it ?
2. Load-Line Calibration: Extreme Mode? or probably High is enouph?
3. Is it any point to change CPU Current Capability: 110% to 140%?

Last edited:

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
The OC settings we have are tried and tested, and recommended by ASUS. I would not suggest tweaking these because they could cause system instability.

silkysean

Bronze Level Poster
1.4v is very high for 4.6ghz, it takes temps past 85 degrees on full load. Intel have stated that 1.38v is the maximum.....

Sandybridge maximum safe voltages

Processor - Basically we recommend customers not to exceed 1.35v to play it safe, all our bundles are set at 1.3250v or lower, any competitors offering bundles above 4.6GHz you should be enquiring as to what voltage they are using as we believe anything over 1.38v will limit CPU lifespan and anything over 1.42v will likely kill the CPU or severely limit its lifespan.

Memory - Intel recommend 1.50v plus/minus 5% which means 1.60v is the ideal safe maximum, but we have found in our testing all 1.65v memory is fine. We have also found most new 1.65v like Corsair XMS3 will run at its rated timings with just 1.50-1.55v which is well within Intel specifications. So people upgrading to Sandybridge you can still use your old DDR3, but we do recommend you run it at 1.60v or less. We are shipping most of our bundles which feature Corsair XMS at 1.50v-1.55v at rated timings. We've also discussed with Asus and MSI regarding voltages for memory and they also confirm in their testing 1.65v caused no issues with reliability.

Base Clock - To put it simple if you value the life of your components, do not overclock using base clock!

PLL Voltage - Do not exceed 1.9v!

I have mine stable at 1.325 using these settings, which has a max temp of less than 70 degrees at full load, but you should probably aim for between 1.330 - 1.350v depending on how good your chip is. Start at 1.330 and if you're not stable, work up till you are.

Load-Line Calibration: Ultra High
VRM Freq: Manual Set to 350
CPU Current Capability: 100%
CPU OverVoltage: Manual Mode
CPU Manual Voltage: 1.325V
VCCSA Voltage: 0.9V
VCCIO Voltage: 1.0V
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.81250V
CPU Ratio: Auto
CPU C1E: Enabled

Meds

The settings found on your account are the starting point for the overclock. As any enthusiast will know, each and every CPU is different, regardless of the model number and will react differently to overclock settings. These settings may need to be tweaked slightly before we dispatch the PC to ensure that the PC is stable & the temperatures are safe.

Yesterday we had the UK Technical Engineer from ASUS come to our premises. One of the main parts of his job now is to play with new CPUs/Motherboards and oveclock them to get the optimum settings - lucky guy!

He took the time to go through the overclock settings for each and every CPU we offer and confirmed everything is OK, he even suggested we could up the CPU Voltage up to 1.45V should we need/want to to push the 2500k & 2600k nearer 5.0GHz - a CPU Voltage of 1.40V is not ott or too high.

Please note that before we put an overclocked CPU live on our website we perform a number of extreme stress/performance test for a prolonged period of time, 48-72 hours. All temperatures are monitored to ensure that the overclock will be safe & stable.

Last edited:

silkysean

Bronze Level Poster
Doing a bit of trial and error, I have come up with some new overclocking settings for 4.6Ghz. This keeps the CPU at 1.008v at idle (x16 multiplier) and then boosts to around 1.31v for 4.6Ghz under load. Temps are under 70.

Load-Line Calibration: Regular
VRM Freq: Manual Set to 350
CPU Current Capability: 100%
CPU OverVoltage: Offset Mode
CPU Offset: + 0.080
VCCSA Voltage: Auto
VCCIO Voltage: Auto
CPU PLL Voltage: Auto
CPU Ratio: 46
CPU C1E: Enabled

If you find 0.080 unstable, keep increasing until it is.