Overclocking settings.

Josh

Bronze Level Poster
I am going to buy an overclocked i7-2600k very soon and I would just like to know does the PC come with profiles at different speeds? If so could you tell me what the different profile speeds are and on each speed tell me how long I can run that for (How many hours?).

Josh.

Teaz

Godlike
PCS will provide you the details to that once you receive the OC pc. dont know about how many profiles but i think its just the stock clock settings and the oc settings so just those 2 profiles.

it can run long hours but depending what you're doing or how much your taxing the cpu, it could be alot or not alot. if your doing something like hour hours of editing for photos or videos, you could be taxing the cpu quite the bit while its in the overclocked settings.

Josh

Bronze Level Poster
That's no good receiving it with the computer, this is so I can make a choice whether to get it OC or not. I thought there was multiple profiles with different speeds on? or do you just have an OC profile that you can change the multiplier on to reach 4.8GHZ. Also I will mostly be playing games which could be in excess of 12 hours a day (I'm an addict). It is also water cooled. I really need to know the time I can play for...

Teaz

Godlike
there is profiles but those are the automated ones done by Asus and not pcs. the pc will come overclocked for you and pcs will provide you the details to the settings along with the stock clock settings for your records/reference.

You can adjust your own overclock once you receive it by using the Asus SuiteII software by Asus to however you wish but if an overclock is failed by you, you wont be covered by pcs warranty.

even on long hours of gaming, it should tax your cpu and gaming in general, a pc will have no problems with long hours of gaming without overclocks. gaming in general you dont need overclocking and 4.8Ghz just for gaming is an overkill in my view, just for gaming, it isnt really worth it.

The liquid cooler will do fine to have your cpu temps low even during long hours of gaming.

Josh

Bronze Level Poster
I won't OC to 4.8, I was only gonna go as high as about 4. Just wanted to know some more exact info on the profiles etc before I finalize the order.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
tbh most games shouldnt really too much on the CPU, keepingit cooler, its usually the GPU that has the hardest job, but i recommend making sure they add a side fan to your order this will help improve cooling

Tracker

Enthusiast
I won't OC to 4.8, I was only gonna go as high as about 4. Just wanted to know some more exact info on the profiles etc before I finalize the order.

Theres two settings with a OC'd sandy bridge cpu (well, there are more but the main two are as follows) : Voltage, and max multipliers.

the CPU will automatically clock itself up and down to its set maximum multiplier ( 3.4 for a stock, or whatever you overclock it to). thus if you only need a fraction of your cpu power, your cpu will be running at a fraction of its max multiplier, it doesn't permenantly stay on like older processors would do when clocked (sans speed-stepping).

Voltage is what you use to keep your cpu stable, higher clocks need more voltage, but voltage requires heat, so when overclocking a processor the voltage is typically tweaked up a little from base settings to handle the extra brunt.

when you have your pc, it'll be overclocked for you to allow it's maximum (e.g, mine was to a max of 46 - 4.6ghz) this is done professionally and to as high as they can reliabley set it to, and your pc will be fine at that setting for hours on end (i've benched my machine on loop overnight at 4.6ghz max and had 0 problems). this includes voltage settings.

you will also have the option to return it to default via bios (depending on your mobo you may have the option of having several "sets" to switch between).

what you could do is one of the following:

if you wished, is have it overclocked, request PCS (they're very friendly and will work with you if you ask them nicely) to give you a mild overclock to 4.0ghz, and they'll tweak it to have it work optimally for this, though whether they'll use their standard voltage increase or tweak it individually i'm not sure.

OR, have it overclocked to the chips max by them, then when you receive the PC, you can lock the top multipliers so you have a 4.0 ghz overclock, though you'll still be running at the higher voltage, this will allow you to turn on higher clocks whenever you want to by re-enabling the multipliers (up to what it was when you received it from PCS).

hope that clarifies a little"

ryafra

noob needs help

So let me get this right,if i order a OC pc it will come to me OC is that right,because i do not know how to fix a plug , let alone a £1300 OC pc.....

tom_gr7

Life Serving
So let me get this right,if i order a OC pc it will come to me OC is that right,because i do not know how to fix a plug , let alone a £1300 OC pc.....

Yes pcs OC it for you. But make sure you think about cooling, a decent case with good airflow, to ensure you keep the cpu running cool.

ryafra

Yes pcs OC it for you. But make sure you think about cooling, a decent case with good airflow, to ensure you keep the cpu running cool.

thanks alot,

the other thing i dont know what to do is what Chip to get ,the i5 2500k or the i7 2600k ??? i will mostly be playing games and WoW,and sometimes let the wife use it ;p))

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Avoids sexist pun :/

hehe i5 will be more than enough as the benefits from an i7 in gaming are near nothing

DaxInside

Silver Level Poster
they r near nothing now but if want to play games in years to come I think the i7 is a better option. I probably won't ever upgrade my CPU but ill switch out the GPU every 1-2 years or so.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
1-2 years is not enough really, id probably SLI/CrossFire after 2 years then 2 years after that get a much better single card

Josh

Bronze Level Poster
Finally got my OC pc but it only comes with one profile in the BIOS which says "OVERCLOCK". I loaded it and it lowered my clock speed from 3.5 to 3.4. I am quite confused I thought there would be a few profiles I could choose from that would actually increase the clock speed not decrease. Would I void the warranty if I looked online for the right voltage, multiplier and PCIe speed?

Tracker

Enthusiast
Finally got my OC pc but it only comes with one profile in the BIOS which says "OVERCLOCK". I loaded it and it lowered my clock speed from 3.5 to 3.4. I am quite confused I thought there would be a few profiles I could choose from that would actually increase the clock speed not decrease. Would I void the warranty if I looked online for the right voltage, multiplier and PCIe speed?

yes you can, if you damage it while tweaking it. what processor did you opt for? assuming the 2500 as the 2600 starts off at 3.4ghz.. if you want to confirm that the settings are correct, you should go to the pcs homepage, login and check your settings through the admin page, or alternately call a pcs tech to confirm the correct settings.

again, if you want to not run an overclock, you should stick with the base profile as it has lowered voltages, if you want an overclock, leave it on that profile. you don't need lots of profiles because the processor doesn't lock to a speed anymore, if you're overclocked and the processor is half idle, it will only run at half clock, if it's being taxed to its absolute limit, it will step up its clock (up to its maximum) to cope. this is also why even overclocked, a processor will report only its normal base clock settinsg when you check it via the windows system tools, it doesn't go higher unless it needs to, and only for as long as it needs to, makes it great for games, as you can just leave it as is.

the days of having a book of profiles for different voltages and different clock speeds are gone, the processor jumps up or down itself, you just tell it how high.

Josh

Bronze Level Poster
I am running an i7 2600k. It was supposed to come with an OC setting but enabling that did not change the multiplier at all. Also my RAM sticks seem to be getting very hot, is this normal? I have the Kingston Hyper-x 16gb (4x4gb) running at 1600MHZ.

Last edited: