Overclocking warranty?

Olaf

So if you buy a overclocked system from PCS and for some unknown reason the CPU dies without you making any modifications to their OC settings, would the CPU still be covered under warranty? not quite sure based on this thread lol. Only reason I am asking this is because when looking at the settings PCS were using for a 4.4 ghz overclock on an i7-4930k they were using 1.40 VCore I believe, whereas looking on many overclocking forums people were able to achieve 4.4ghz overclock using less VCore (1.3ish i believe) while still running stable and cooler.

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
So if you buy a overclocked system from PCS and for some unknown reason the CPU dies without you making any modifications to their OC settings, would the CPU still be covered under warranty? not quite sure based on this thread lol. Only reason I am asking this is because when looking at the settings PCS were using for a 4.4 ghz overclock on an i7-4930k they were using 1.40 VCore I believe, whereas looking on many overclocking forums people were able to achieve 4.4ghz overclock using less VCore (1.3ish i believe) while still running stable and cooler.

As far as I'm aware if PCS overclock the CPU for you it's covered by the warranty

steaky360

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I'd also have said that unless the CPU was a fried due to over voltage or something you'd keep your warranty even if you changed the settings, but I don't know that for sure.

I'm not so sure about that. The only reason PCS allow the warranty on the overclock is they dial in a 'safe' overclock. if you go changing it you will probably void the warranty. However intel do have a programme in place to swap out chips you fry. I think for a small deposit you can cover them for 1 failure.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
If you purchase the system pre overclocked from PCS, the processor will still be fully covered under warranty

If you do any overclocking yourself, your whole system is still covered under warranty (including the CPU) unless it is specifically the overclock that has caused the system to fail, and these days that is pretty unlikely as you can simply reset the BIOS most of the time as long as you haven't gone crazy

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
If you do any overclocking yourself, your whole system is still covered under warranty (including the CPU) unless it is specifically the overclock that has caused the system to fail, and these days that is pretty unlikely as you can simply reset the BIOS most of the time as long as you haven't gone crazy

In which case its the same as buying a non overclocked CPU, If your CPU failed it would be very difficult to prove it wasn't your overclock that did it. Basically if PCS overclock it or not, everything is covered unless the fault is caused by an overclock YOU do. PCS overclocks carry the same warranty as the rest of the system.

steaky360

I think that's how it works, its like installing components etc. You're fine as long as you don't screw up. If you OC your processor and your memory fails it would be odd for PCS to not give you a replacement because your CPU was overclocked. However if (somehow?) the CPU overclock say, caused the PSU to fail (??) then maybe that would be grounds to refuse a RMA.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
In which case its the same as buying a non overclocked CPU, If your CPU failed it would be very difficult to prove it wasn't your overclock that did it. Basically if PCS overclock it or not, everything is covered unless the fault is caused by an overclock YOU do. PCS overclocks carry the same warranty as the rest of the system.

PCS would likely investigate it further to see what the cause was most likely to be.

also adding to what Steaky said, if the overclock damages another component, im pretty sure the warranty would be void.

Olaf

PCS would likely investigate it further to see what the cause was most likely to be.

also adding to what Steaky said, if the overclock damages another component, im pretty sure the warranty would be void.

Not too sure on that, the original thread was pretty vague in its explanation... But the jist I was getting was that if the overclock itself caused the cpu to fail then its not covered, but if the overclocked cpu causes another component to die then it is covered. My original post was simply to find out as to whether the cpu itself would be covered still if PCS did the overclocking themselves, I hope that would be the case.

steaky360

Yes, if you didn't change any of the settings etc., and the CPU died as a result of PCS's overclocking it would be covered under PCS's warranty. As would any component :)