Overclocking

masyarrum

Bronze Level Poster
Hello all, I've now had my 17.3" Octane gtx 980m i5-4690k laptop since June/July, it is amazing to say the least. I kind of want to see what overclocking does to the performance! If i notice a huge difference great, but is it worth it??

ANy draw backs? Especially on this laptop, in terms of cooling etc. The cooling is very impressive however.

thanks

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Overclocking the cpu/gpu is going to void your warranty. There is also limited cooling provided in a laptop chassis.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
As Keynes says, laptop cooling is not built for overclocking, so the amount you could overclock would be negligable before it became unstable, plus you run a great risk of damage and void your warranty.

I wouldn't advise it at all in any laptop.

Underclocking is another matter of course although I believe it will still void your warranty.

Last time I checked you were allowed to over/underclock the cpu and as long as it didn't cause the problem then you were fine, wilst overclocking the gpu would void your warranty.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Last time I checked you were allowed to over/underclock the cpu and as long as it didn't cause the problem then you were fine, wilst overclocking the gpu would void your warranty.

In a desktop, yes, not in a laptop. They're just not equipped to deal with the extreme temperatures that overclocking produces.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
You can overclock the CPU via the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. It overclocks dynamically and only pushes higher clocks when it is completely safe to do so. It has done a good job on my laptop and is much less likely to cause any issues. However I'm not sure how this kind of overclocking would affect the warranty.

masyarrum

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks everyone for your input, I shall stay away from overclocking I think! I mean I'm sure I'll survive with 3.5GHz!

Cheers :)