Overheating Heatsink Issue

jrbuckz

Hi all

I bought a Vortex Series laptop and received it 02/10/2012

Vortex Series: 17.3"
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3610QM (2.30GHz) 6MB
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 4GB)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Zalman ZM-NC3500 Ultra-Quiet Laptop Cooler, upto 17.3 inch

For ages it as been running perfect, playing games, videos, daily use etc....apart from the last month or so

When it is first started up it runs pretty silent and on generally low temps, just general internet browsing, and then the fan will get rather loud and speed up rapidly....then back to normal when I havnt actually done anything

After playing ANY game then for about 20 minutes, the laptop seems to get rather hot...its only the right back corner / area, where the heatsink is, that is led to from the copper piping, which gets hot. Its not scorching hot, but very hot where the rest of the laptop is completely fine. You can also hear the fans from the laptop get a lot louder, and faster, and they keep speeding up at one point dramatically and then slowing down for 30 seconds, straight back up to fast for a while

I played a game that wasn't very demanding, and recorded the highest temps of everything. This is what I got:

GPU 67c
HDR 28c
Core0 62c
Core1 57c
Core2 55c
Core3 54c

To me, these temps are not really that high, and nothing to worry about for playing a game

The only other main programs running are Steam to play the game, and Norton Anti Virus, not sure if Norton makes a lot of difference

Baring in mind these are the temps after I gave the laptop a clean with compressed air etc. there really wasn't that much dust within the laptop to being with, I have only had it since October 2012 as stated above

I just need to know why the heatsink gets as hot as it does, and why my fan keeps sounding rather loud and fast, to then going quiet, and back to loud and fast again, its even doing it now when I am just writing this on a single internet explorer tab open and nothing else running

Do you think I need to apply new thermal paste and recheck the heatsink?

Cheers
Joe

(not totally clued up on laptops as you can guess, just going over the basics)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
hey, I'd have a look online see if you can get some really good thermal paste, watch a few videos on how to do it. (less is more with thermal paste)

Then give PCS a bell and ask them to talk you through removing the heatsink. some fresh paste may help a little bit.

Also, might be worth investing in a cooling pad, (if you aint already) just to raise it up so air can flow freely beneath the system.

jrbuckz

Thanks

I already have a laptop cooling pad, its in the spec i listed ;)

I may have to thermal paste the unit again, only option i have at the moment