Overheating laptop

darbyjack

Bronze Level Poster
Can someone recommend a cooling pad for Defiance 15, thanks. CPU is reaching almost 100C when many tabs in chrome open or gaming. Surely can't be dust since the laptop is only a few months old. Maybe the thermal paste dun goofed? It's definitely running hotter. Then again, maybe it's the weather and humidity. Who knows. Still runs good though. No throttling (yet).

keynes

Multiverse Poster
If the CPU is reaching 100'C even when running chrome then there seems to be an issue. A laptop cooler helps but the gains are not significant and from what you indicate there seems to be an issues with cooling. I would suggest contacting technical support

darbyjack

Bronze Level Poster
In all fairness, the temp does drop quickly to 55C once I closed down Chrome. I usually have about 20 tabs open. The laptop did used to run games at 75C max on CPU but now almost 100C. I'll keep an open mind and assume it might be the weather. I'll get in contact with PCS anyway as you suggested and see what they say.

darbyjack

Bronze Level Poster
Okay I phoned them and they want to have a look at it. Sadly, it'll take them two weeks and I use this laptop for work. Will have to figure out when will be the best time to send it over.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Open it up and check for dust and muck. Even after a few months a latptop can become pretty clogged up, it all depends on the environment it's in. It's well worth doing before you send it off and wait two weeks..........

chunkykev

In all fairness, the temp does drop quickly to 55C once I closed down Chrome. I usually have about 20 tabs open. The laptop did used to run games at 75C max on CPU but now almost 100C. I'll keep an open mind and assume it might be the weather. I'll get in contact with PCS anyway as you suggested and see what they say.

There certainly sounds like a cooling issue but, on top of that, Chrome shouldn't be taxing your CPU in that way regardless so I'd make sure to check your computer for viruses, malware and malicious plug-ins that may be kicking in when Chrome is opened and causing the increased CPU usage.

But, as mentioned, even with your CPU being pushed, it should be cooler than that so definitely worth a clean out for starters, at least, just in case.

darbyjack

Bronze Level Poster
Okay I blew some compressed air after removing the bottom lid. It runs a bit cooler and air flow feels a bit better. Temps reach 90C max this time round.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
The laptop CPUs can reach 100 degrees safely, although you don't really want them going higher than 90. I would suggest redoing the thermal paste as antcol said, should make a difference if you get some decent stuff and apply it correctly

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Yep, I agree with the above. Now you've cleaned it and the temp is still in the high range it's worth repasting.

darbyjack

Bronze Level Poster
Do I risk voiding warranty be repasting? I have the same thermal paste these guys use, the arctic stuff or whatever it's called.