overheating on OCTANE VI

Mad Dap

needing a bit help or advice on what do with this, i bought this laptop for gaming currently have just two games on it plague tale and destining 2.
plague tale nearly melted my cpu at 99 degrees and destiny 2 now heats this sucker up to 85, when i first got it it didn't really go above 80, i have a cooling pad but not sure if its the best tbh, any advice will b appreciated I've had this about a month now, here's the spec

Chassis & Display
Octane Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080) + G-Sync
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 Eight Core Processor i9-9900K (3.6GHz) 16MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 3000MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 2500MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive
2TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 2500MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 330W AC Adaptor
Battery
Octane Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (82WH)
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Thermal Paste
COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ WIRELESS-AC 1550 M.2 GAMING 802.11AC + BLUETOOTH 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
4 x USB 3.0 Ports + 2 x USB 3.1 Type C Ports
Keyboard Language
OCTANE SERIES BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You're far from the first to complain of overheating on the Octane. If you search for 'octane overheating' on these fora you'll find lots of hits and probably some useful advice.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I know it's not ideal but try a session with max fans engaged. For me I pressed Fn and 1 to switch them onto max.

See how the temps turn out after a session in that state. If it's better, you need to find a better fan curve. Other than that, undervolting should be a good solution.

Mad Dap

I know it's not ideal but try a session with max fans engaged. For me I pressed Fn and 1 to switch them onto max.

See how the temps turn out after a session in that state. If it's better, you need to find a better fan curve. Other than that, undervolting should be a good solution.
i always run fans on max speed when gaming, not undervolted it yet il try that tonight

debiruman665

Enthusiast
On clevo control center apply an undervolt of -80mV (should be safe)

set the last two core multipliers down to around x42

I have the same setup and it seems to be the sweet spot for ultra gaming and you'll actually gain frames due to the lack of throttling.

the problem with the i9 at default settings is it is trying to hit 4.7GHz and its not possible with the GPU also belting out heat meaning it keeps revving up and throttling.

the x42 should put you under 90C.

You can test it out but literally put the last two down to x36 and you'll see much greater cooling with virtually no visible difference unless you are playing VR or have the frame count thing on to see how many FPS you are getting

Mad Dap

On clevo control center apply an undervolt of -80mV (should be safe)

set the last two core multipliers down to around x42

I have the same setup and it seems to be the sweet spot for ultra gaming and you'll actually gain frames due to the lack of throttling.

the problem with the i9 at default settings is it is trying to hit 4.7GHz and its not possible with the GPU also belting out heat meaning it keeps revving up and throttling.

the x42 should put you under 90C.

You can test it out but literally put the last two down to x36 and you'll see much greater cooling with virtually no visible difference unless you are playing VR or have the frame count thing on to see how many FPS you are getting
hey thanks man I'm gonna tryout out shortly when I've got some gaming time, what cooling mat does anyone recommend?

debiruman665

Enthusiast
hey thanks man I'm gonna tryout out shortly when I've got some gaming time, what cooling mat does anyone recommend?

Just to sort of give better explanation. If you game is able to use more threads having a lower core clock does not mean less efficient.

You could consider that 16 workers producing 3.6 goods per hour has a more overall productivity than 8 workers working at 5 goods per hour .

Let me know how you get across. I suggest you don't get too caught up in benchmarks and instead test the games you want to play. I was surprised to find that simply tuning my laptop for higher benchmark scores didn't equate at all to better gaming performance.

chrhun818

needing a bit help or advice on what do with this, i bought this laptop for gaming currently have just two games on it plague tale and destining 2.
plague tale nearly melted my cpu at 99 degrees and destiny 2 now heats this sucker up to 85, when i first got it it didn't really go above 80, i have a cooling pad but not sure if its the best tbh, any advice will b appreciated I've had this about a month now, here's the spec
Just to put this overheating problem in perspective for those of us who are largely IT-illiterate, is it because these games use a lot of resources? Had you been playing constantly for hours?
I ask because I only play Forge of Empires and am looking for a new laptop. I have over-heating issues with my current 4-year old laptop and I don't want the same issue to rear it's ugly head on a new one.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The very short version is that Intel have some very hot CPUs and the laptops struggle to get rid of the heat. This has been an increasing issue over the last 3 generations of CPU.

Of course there's always scope for a faulty or substandard unit. e.g. if human error happened and PCS did a substandard thermal paste job that somehow got through QC/testing.

Gaming can be demanding on the CPU, but is usually far from the most demanding type of task an enthusiast user would use a laptop for (e.g. video editing, or other kinds of encoding).

So hitting 100 degrees on gaming load is a problem.

Your older laptop may have other causes for overheating. If you're upgrading anyway, fair enough, but if you're upgrading mostly to try to buy a cooler system you should troubleshoot thermals before doing so. I'd suggest making a new thread to discuss new laptops / your old laptop etc to keep this thread clear for helping troubleshoot the OP's issues :)

yessuz

I wonder which chasis is considered the best on the cooling side? thinking of new gaming laptop (main aim - to play PUBG) and want 2070 rtx machine...

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Just to put this overheating problem in perspective for those of us who are largely IT-illiterate, is it because these games use a lot of resources? Had you been playing constantly for hours?
I ask because I only play Forge of Empires and am looking for a new laptop. I have over-heating issues with my current 4-year old laptop and I don't want the same issue to rear it's ugly head on a new one.
The harder a CPU/GPU has to work the more heat it generates. It's not really a question of how long you play for, it's more a question of how demanding on CPU/GPU resources the game is. If you play a demanding game and the laptop temperature is acceptable after 30 minutes of playing then it's most likely to still be acceptable after 4 hours of playing.

Laptops need cleaning quite regularly. How regularly depends on how dusty the environment in which they are used. The biggest problem in a laptop are the heat exchangers, these sit right next to the fan(s) and are basically finned radiators. A good airflow through these heat exchangers is vital, yet they are also magnets for dust and fluff which serves to block up that airflow. The fan(s) are the only way that air can be forced through these heat exchangers so it's vital that the fans are able maintain their designed airflow. Fan blades are also a dust and dirt magnet and this causes turbulence in the fan that massively reduces the airflow through the heat exchangers (as well as unbalancing the fans, leading to excessive bearing wear). Regular cleaning of the fan blades and the heat exchangers is the best way to keep a laptop cool and prolong its life.

You also have to pay attention the the space around the laptop. The fans suck in cool air from the space around the laptop (usually underneath) blow that cool air over the heat exchanger, cooling it, and then exhaust that hot air out (usually at the back or sides). You have to place the laptop in an environment that ensures that cool air is available to be drawn in and that the hot air blown out can escape. If there isn't a good air gap around the laptop the hot air cannot get away and it ends up being sucked back in by the fans. Hot air cools far less well than cool air.

You should also think about the surface the laptop is sitting on. Wood and plastic surfaces retain heat extremely well, so after some time the hot exhaust air from the fans warms up the plastic or wood surface and that means that warmer air is being drawn in. On these kind of surfaces it's useful to prop the laptop up to create a bigger gap underneath. This serves to both reduce the heating of the surface and allows for cooler air to be drawn in.

This is why cooling pads work so well. They get the laptop off the wooden or plastic surface and they force a greater volume of cooler air underneath the laptop for the fan(s) to suck in. IMO cooling pads where the laptop sits on an aluminium grille rather than a plastic one are better, because the aluminium grille retains less heat.

I hope that helps some? :)