Oxidation on heatsink

Jaydea

Bronze Level Poster
Just curious, would large amounts of oxidation on a laptop heatsink negatively impact it in any way? Also, what do you guys reckon the best way to remove it is?

Thanks.

steaky360

Not sure if its actually a problem. There should be no oxidation on the contacting surfaces (as there should not be any oxygen there)... If you've noticed a great deal it means something was wrong with the seating of the heatsink.

Not sure if oxidation would be detrimental to heat transfer on the 'outer' surface of the sink though. Don't think it would unless there is a large build up. If there is you can clean it using vinegar/something like that and wipe clean with ISO. I would NOT use anything on the contacting surface of the heatsink however.

Jaydea

Bronze Level Poster
I have recently cleaned it with vinegar, but it seems to have gotten worse after a week and my temperatures have been pretty erratic ever since. What's ISO?

Toxophilix

Bright Spark
I have recently cleaned it with vinegar, but it seems to have gotten worse after a week and my temperatures have been pretty erratic ever since. What's ISO?
Are you sure the heatsink is properly seated after the cleaning?

It does seem unlikely that, in most cases, oxidation would be a big problem compared with the accumulation of dust.

Jaydea

Bronze Level Poster
Are you sure the heatsink is properly seated after the cleaning?

It does seem unlikely that, in most cases, oxidation would be a big problem compared with the accumulation of dust.

I'm sure I've seated it properly. I mean, I don't know how I would have seated it wrong. It seemed pretty straight forward.

Toxophilix

Bright Spark
I'm sure I've seated it properly. I mean, I don't know how I would have seated it wrong. It seemed pretty straight forward.
Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that you had done something clueless. What I'm thinking is, if I understand you correctly, your temperatures have been erratic since the cleaning, and it doesn't seem plausible that the cleaning itself would have caused that.

Jaydea

Bronze Level Poster
Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that you had done something clueless. What I'm thinking is, if I understand you correctly, your temperatures have been erratic since the cleaning, and it doesn't seem plausible that the cleaning itself would have caused that.

I know, and I have checked. It doesn't look like I've seated it wrong, and the pasting was done properly, so the only thing I had to put the blame on was the oxidation. And if that isn't an issue, I'm really stumped.

Jaydea

Bronze Level Poster
Anyone have any ideas? I know the temp difference isn't 'serious', but 60 degrees while idle isn't exactly something I'm comfortable with, and I'd rather my fans didn't go on and off every 30 seconds whilst I'm watching TV.

I'm becoming increasingly frustrated at how nothing seems to be working. I'm really not sure what I've done wrong.

Last edited:

steaky360

Was there oxidation on the contact plate of the heatsink (sorry if this is above and I just haven't spotted it). If not then the oxidation wont be causing the issue unless it is a few mm thick (in which case you have bigger problems as in how its getting so bad).

Before I get all high and mighty lol, did you try cleaning it off and rechecking the temps? That's something worth trying, it would confirm or deny whether the oxidation is causing the problem or whether its something else. Try tomato sauce / vinegar or something like that. Its probably easier to remove the heatsink first though so make sure you have some ISO (isopropyl alcohol) (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electrovision-Isopropyl-Alcohol/dp/B000KHDYB0) to hand to clean your heatsink afterwards.