Partition the SSD

Milkybarkid

Bronze Level Poster
This will be my first laptop with SSD (500GB). In the past I've always partitioned my hard drive, sometimes into three. Can you do this with SSD and does it affect performance in any way?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This will be my first laptop with SSD (500GB). In the past I've always partitioned my hard drive, sometimes into three. Can you do this with SSD and does it affect performance in any way?

What’s your reason for partitioning? It’s not really done that much these days as not many people have a single os drive and data, most have os on one and data on the other.

But yes, you can partition an ssd in exactly the same way. It will affect performance in the same way as an hdd also.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Depending on the laptop you have, if you can, you'd be far better off putting in a HDD as well.

Put your OS and most-used programs on the SSD and store the data on the HDD.

Most things, once launched, get no benefit from an SSD.

Milkybarkid

Bronze Level Poster
Having both was above my budget and the 500GB SSD was more than sufficient for my needs. In the past on laptops with a HD, I've separated the OS and programs from my files, which makes life easier for me. I just wondered if going this way again, it would impact on the benefit of having SSD.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Having both was above my budget and the 500GB SSD was more than sufficient for my needs. In the past on laptops with a HD, I've separated the OS and programs from my files, which makes life easier for me. I just wondered if going this way again, it would impact on the benefit of having SSD.

It won't impact performance

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

It won't noticeably affect performance but partitioning any drive has a measurable performance impact.

Partitioning is a data management tool and the price paid for that is reduced performance, this is because it's only possible to have one read/write operation in process at a time to the drive. For example, if you're trying to do a read from your C: partition and a write to your D: partition they will be done consecutively (so one operation will have to wait for the other to complete). If you had two drives they'd be done concurrently (so no waiting for the other operation to complete).

All that said, the response time of an SSD is so fast that you won't ever notice the performance hit by partitioning the drive, so go ahead and partition it. :)