PC beeps then fails to start up.

Valefan16

Hi I hope I can get some advise as I’m not mega tech savvy with hardware!

My 3 year old PC is beeping once following immediately by three fast beeps and then doesn’t boot up, fans still going but not doing anything else.

The spec is:

CasePCS SR-620C MID TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-10700K (3.8GHz) 16MB Cache
MotherboardASUS® ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING (LGA1200, USB 3.2, CrossFireX/SLI) - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st M.2 SSD Drive1TB INTEL® 660p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 1800MB/sR | 1800MB/sW)
1st Storage Drive500GB Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
Power SupplyCORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingNoctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless Network CardWIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
down_right_arrow.gif
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-VirusBullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
BrowserGoogle Chrome™
MonitorIIYAMA G2730HSU-B1 27" Gaming Monitor

In April I added a new SSD

2TB SOLIDIGM P41+ GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 4125MB/sR, 3325MB/sW)

It started on Saturday but after turning off the power I was able to get it going, even managed to fly on MS Flight Sim without issue for an hour or so!

But as of now I can’t get it to even do anything now, completely blank screen.

Really frustrating so any advice or pointers would be a huge help! Thank you.

When I did get in at the weekend i did manage to get the following from the maintenance log

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
When I turn it on I get the usual beep I always have had then a few seconds then a long beep short gap then 3 short beeps.
Yeah, I get you.

The first beep is the post succeeding beep. As you say, that's a normal sign and can be discounted.

3 short beeps is a RAM error.

Firstly, if it's possible, try loading the BIOS to see if the RAM is detected.

May be worth powering off, turn off the psu button but leave it plugged into the mains (this keeps it grounded), then remove both RAM DIMMS, just give the pins a gentle wipe over with a dry microfibre cloth, blow out the DIMMS slots on the board in case any dust has got in, then replace the DIMMS.

If it's still failing after that it does suggest one (or both) of the DIMMS have failed

Valefan16

Yeah, I get you.

The first beep is the post succeeding beep. As you say, that's a normal sign and can be discounted.

3 short beeps is a RAM error.

Firstly, if it's possible, try loading the BIOS to see if the RAM is detected.

May be worth powering off, turn off the psu button but leave it plugged into the mains (this keeps it grounded), then remove both RAM DIMMS, just give the pins a gentle wipe over with a dry microfibre cloth, blow out the DIMMS slots on the board in case any dust has got in, then replace the DIMMS.

If it's still failing after that it does suggest one (or both) of the DIMMS have failed
Thank you to confirm
It’s 5 beeps in total, the normal one then a long one and three short.

I will take a look at the RAM though as that isn’t the end of the world if needs replacing.

Can’t get it as far to go into the Bios unfortunately.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thank you to confirm
It’s 5 beeps in total, the normal one then a long one and three short.

I will take a look at the RAM though as that isn’t the end of the world if needs replacing.

Can’t get it as far to go into the Bios unfortunately.
Sorry, I totally missed you'd put the additional long beep in your previous response. That's a completely different error I'm afraid, that suggest GPU, especially as you can't see the BIOS screen.

Was there any pre cursor to this? You could try physically removing the GPU and reinstalling it, but it does sound like it's gone.

If you let me know the make and model we can check manufacturers warranty on it. Either way it's worth raising with PCS as they'll sometimes sort out manufacturers warranty for you even if your PCS warranty has expired on parts.

Valefan16

Sorry, I totally missed you'd put the additional long beep in your previous response. That's a completely different error I'm afraid, that suggest GPU, especially as you can't see the BIOS screen.

Was there any pre cursor to this? You could try physically removing the GPU and reinstalling it, but it does sound like it's gone.

If you let me know the make and model we can check manufacturers warranty on it. Either way it's worth raising with PCS as they'll sometimes sort out manufacturers warranty for you even if your PCS warranty has expired on parts.
Not at all no, apart from the weekend when it first did it but I managed to turn power off and get it to run after a few minutes of power off and oddly flew on MSFS for an hour or so.

Tonight though it did it again but won’t load up at all.

It is:

8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!

Valefan16

Thank you for the help, turns out it is the GPU once all testing, so that’s frustrating and need to look for a new one, may as well upgrade so any advise would be appreciated!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thank you for the help, turns out it is the GPU once all testing, so that’s frustrating and need to look for a new one, may as well upgrade so any advise would be appreciated!
what make and model monitor are you using and what do you use the pc for?

What’s your budget for a replacement?

Valefan16

what make and model monitor are you using and what do you use the pc for?

What’s your budget for a replacement?
MS Flight simulator primarily.

Monitor is IIYAMA G2730HSU-B1 27" so standard HD 1080 one, probably could budget around 8-900 GBP if I needed to make adjustments elsewhere.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
MS Flight simulator primarily.

Monitor is IIYAMA G2730HSU-B1 27" so standard HD 1080 one, probably could budget around 8-900 GBP if I needed to make adjustments elsewhere.
That’s a very basic monitor which is going to bottleneck any GPU at this level,

You could get an RTX 4070 at roughly £800 but you’d need a suitable monitor to pair with it.

DarkPaladin

Enthusiast
The standard or the Ti?

I was thinking about maybe going for the 1440 monitor?
I would recommend using RTINGS for this. I use their website whenever looking into monitors and it helped me make my decision when upgrading a while ago.

Valefan16

Thanks for the tips, what would be the view on 4k monitor with and 4070ti on my system (i7 10700k) I’m keen to get this right as I need to replace the GPU I may as well do the improvements with it to last a few years going forward than just replace with an equivalent GPU and then have to do it when say MSFS 24 comes out or the next incarnation after that.