PC Build - Build time line expectations based on this spec?

Cobblers

Enthusiast
Hi all,

I've only just ordered a new PC build from PCS; two days ago. Don't worry, I'm not expecting it to have been shipped already, but based upon the following spec should I expect much of a delay - if yes, how much extra time do you anticipate it might take before completion?

1610011578423.png

Rbaut

Bronze Level Poster
I have a similar order (in as much as everything seems to be in stock i.e. we're not ordering RTX30 series or new AMD CPU).

Latest email I have from this morning is an estimated build date of 1st Feb. But I'm unsure how reliable this is. My order was placed on 28th Dec.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
My build email camre through this week just gone, I ordered on the 5th Jan. They reckon it will be done by 15th Feb.

It took 3 days to go into pre-production, which in itself is faster than I was expecting. I'm hoping it will be sorted before the date. Again, should it due to none of the parts stating "pre-order only". Fingers crossed.

Guys on here recently have had orders go out between 20-25 working days when parts have been in stock, so thats probably a good guideline, especially as they get through the xmas backlog.

Of course PCS would be the only ones who really know

Gavras

Master Poster
As above regarding part availability.

However.. there are some tweaks you could have made to you build.

PSU I really would suggest 750W - NVidia are scaling back production of Non 3000 series cards, in say 2-3 years if your card needs replaced, you will pretty much need to replace PSU.

The WiFi card would be better if it was the AX200 WiFi 6 card.

There are other bits, but really depends on your budget and use etc, that and you have placed order.

Citrus_9

Expert
As above regarding part availability.

However.. there are some tweaks you could have made to you build.

PSU I really would suggest 750W - NVidia are scaling back production of Non 3000 series cards, in say 2-3 years if your card needs replaced, you will pretty much need to replace PSU.

The WiFi card would be better if it was the AX200 WiFi 6 card.

There are other bits, but really depends on your budget and use etc, that and you have placed order.
Agree with the above, some changes could make this build a better. If you tell us your monitor, purpose of this pc and budget, a nd drop a link to your specs, we may have a look as it still may be not too late to amend it.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
Hey all - it's for 1080p gaming. The system at the moment is using about 385w, so I got the 550w PSU.

I appreciate the offer, but am happy with the unit; it sits well from a budget perspective and will serve me nicely for the next couple of years until the GPU needs updating - at which point I'll address the PSU once again.

22-23 working days seems a decent time line. Again, due to Covid I was potentially expecting longer.... but hey PCS, don't let that think you can take longer on the order than is necessary! ;)

Very helpful group though, so again thanks for the offer of support.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
Thanks NurseMorph, I will check that out later.

Once again I really appreciate the support and time taken to help and advise.

MicCli

Ordered sons on 11/12/20. Nothing greyed out or on preorder and had 3 emails to date pushing the estimated build date back. Most recent estimates 13th Jan build date so who knows. Son is pretty disappointed.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
What was the standard build time for the system you ordered; mine stated about 17-19 days - that;s working days remember. Again nothing greyed out either/or pre-order only.

Will let you know what this weeks update email states, but if systems are on back order then I would hope for not much, if any, delay concerning my build considering builds currently awaiting pre-order only parts will keep getting pushed back.

Ordered sons on 11/12/20. Nothing greyed out or on preorder and had 3 emails to date pushing the estimated build date back. Most recent estimates 13th Jan build date so who knows. Son is pretty disappointed.
Same order date and estimate has me. Guessing that’s just how backlogged they are.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
Well there is a 12% increase on PC related sales right now, so I suppose a 12% relatable increase in build time is to be expected - that's not taking into consideration Covid pressures.

This will be my third PC from PCS, so waiting a bit longer is worth it in my opinion.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
Hey all, another quick question. Will the Motherboard and/or onboard sound card support headphones that are 7.1 or only 5.1?

I'm not worried either way, but looking to get a headset before the PC arrival and thought I'd spend the weekend looking over some headset reviews.

Cheers in advance.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
My onboard audio works fine with my 7.1 Steelseries Arctis 7s

Thanks Nursemorph, so through my spec as listed above, will I get use of all the speakers from it? IE if the MB has a Realtek 5.1 sound card then will that only make use of the 5 speakers and not the 7 in a 7.1? Or am I not getting the point here?

Cobblers

Enthusiast
Nice one - really appreciated. I asked the question, but couldn't find the answer. Seems like I didn't look hard enough.

Cheers, I'm considering the Razer Blackshark v2 Pro, they are super light, which for a bald headed man isn't a bad thing. No one wants to go to the shops with their headset still inprinted onto their skull.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
I'm going to check out some reviews this evening between your suggestion and the Razer.

A retractable or removable mic is useful, as I prefer to use my standalone where possible and helps to eliminate the additional wegith from one side of the headset.

Finally and after some years I'll have a better headset than my kids :) the 16 year old is secretly jealous which will make my purchase all the more sweeter! ;)

Rbaut

Bronze Level Poster
That's what a baseball cap is for ;)

That looks like a decent headset....I'd definitely look into the Arctis 7s as well if you want wireless ones (I would highly recommend them)...has a retractable mic which keeps it out of the way if you aren't chatting while gaming.
How do you find the battery life between charges?