PC Cleaning Routine

VirtualDevil

Silver Level Poster
Hi All,

I'd like to get some replies here about your go to PC cleaning routine for want of a better understanding of it.

Aside from a budget build I had for under a year at the start of covid, this is the first PC I've owned in around 15 years. Having spent a good amount of money on it, I'm looking to adopt some routine practices be it weekly/monthly/annually. (I do not have a liquid cooled system, so you can rule this one out or include it as part of your rituals :))

The most I did with my old one was hoover the fan dust with a very light hoover brush. Please don't get the pitchforks out!

My only observation currently is to get a PC air canister and blow the dust monthly.

Any tips for a newb?

Muchos gracias.

steaky360

I'd consider upgrading from canned air to an electronic duster (you can find them from amazon among many other places) - makes clearing out the dust from the inside of the PC and any dust covers very easy and removes any risk of water getting sprayed into the PC (this tends to only happen if the can is upside down though, so not to worry if you're using canned air). Just gently hold the fan blades of your fans prior to 'blowing' such that they don't spin up.

Personally I just do it 'ad hoc' usually that means fairly infrequently and only once I notice dust building up :)

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Yeah I like to unhook the PC once a month (honestly it's about every 6-8weeks) and open her up. Take out the fans and just give them a wee clean to remove the surface dust. I also have a look and make sure to get rid of everything in the inside too when I've got it taken down.

I really should get a electronic duster though they seem brilliant and would save me so much time. Any you would recommend @steaky360 ?