Pc condensation from transit

__harry

Hi, just got my pc back from an rma. I’ve been waiting weeks to use it so I’m eager to turn it on but there’s condensation on the inside and outside.

Not sure what to do, but hoping for quick answer for if it’s safe to turn on or not and what I should do. I don’t really want to go through tech support for an answer as it takes a while.

scarpa1

Enthusiast
My PC arrived with loads of condensation, possibly a fair bit more than the OP's as mine was a liquid series and I guess the coldness of the time of year (mine was November last year) the liquid in the tubes, spending the weekend at the depot there was a fair amount of condensation, pretty much dripping at places.

Like Scott says, I left mine for a good 12 hours before turning it on.

I had wiped/placed some kitchen roll on parts like the top of GPU water block, parts of the case that had condensation and anything that was a flat ish surface.

Didn't touch anything around the MB, just let that dry off naturally.

It was very scary opening up your PC and seeing condensation all over it but just as long as its completely dry you will be fine even if you have to leave it overnight to be completely sure.

I put a picture of mine below from when it arrived, its hard to tell how much condensation was present looking at the picture but just looking at the front panel, liquid reservoir and the tubes which should be completely clear you can get an idea.
20201123_093335.jpg

Last edited:

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
The best thing for anyone else who might be waiting for their delivery is:

Don't even open the box when it arrives if you can avoid it. Give the whole thing a good half day to come up to room temperature before you open it. That will prevent any condensation building up in the first place.

So much stuff is kept in unheated warehouses that it is all thouroughly cold soaked before it makes it's way to you at this time of the year. Generally it won't pick up any condensation in stroage at all - it's actually formed when you expose the cold surfaces to warmer air. So if you open the box straight away when you get it, then as soon as the surfaces hit the warm humid air of your man cave (or woman cave either of course), then WHAM - condensation will form before you even get the thing fully unwrapped. You might be shocked at how much can deveop in a split second. Ask anybody who's ever taken a camera or telescope out on a cold night for an hour or two before heading back into their house.....

(EDIT - my memory of the PCS boxes is that the 'handles' create holes in the box itself which would allow warm air circulate inside. Cover these up before you bring the box into the house and leave them covered until you are ready to open.)

__harry

Sorry forgot to post an update

Pc worked after leaving it for 2 days with side panels off but unfortunately it had different issues to what I experienced before :( They said it’s best to send it back again and let them deal with it so it was collected Friday.

Thanks for the help, I’ll leave it in the box for a few hours next time to avoid any of this happening again haha.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sorry forgot to post an update

Pc worked after leaving it for 2 days with side panels off but unfortunately it had different issues to what I experienced before :( They said it’s best to send it back again and let them deal with it so it was collected Friday.

Thanks for the help, I’ll leave it in the box for a few hours next time to avoid any of this happening again haha.
What were the other issues? Hope it gets sorted soon.

__harry

Pc booted up fine and crashed almost instantly with a bsod. I then couldn’t get back into windows, probably an ssd or windows issue I’m guessing.

I could’ve reinstalled windows to rule that out but I was told just to send it back. Apparently someone’s working on it as soon as they get it so less waiting this time which is great.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Pc booted up fine and crashed almost instantly with a bsod. I then couldn’t get back into windows, probably an ssd or windows issue I’m guessing.

I could’ve reinstalled windows to rule that out but I was told just to send it back. Apparently someone’s working on it as soon as they get it so less waiting this time which is great.
Let us know how you get on (y)