PC Crashes

Strandza

Hi All,

I've been having an issue for quite a while, so bear with me whilst I try to explain a brief history as best I can.

During gaming (and seemingly gaming only) my PC will randomly freeze, completely unrecoverable and then restart itself after ¬15 seconds, alternatively I can hold down the power button to hasten this and restart it with no issues.

So far, it's not under any intense load at all, Final Fantasy 14 is a common issue recently, World of Warcraft Classic used to be, then suddenly it wasn't, the other main culprit is Path of Exile, I found that disabling "Engine Multithreading" fixed the crashes completely, and they never occurred again. albeit with substantial performance losses compared to enabling Engine Multithreading.

I haven't tested Path of Exile in roughly 6 months, however FFXIV it is happening randomly, sometimes I'll go all day and it's fine, other times I'll crash within 10 minutes of booting back up - it never crashes when idle, I'm always doing "something" but sometimes I'll go through heavy load fight "scenes" with lots of graphics going on and it's fine, then the next I'll crash from solo play with nothing going on, different areas, never the same area and situation.

My idle temps are generally 40-44 Degrees, normally all spike (Motherboard, CPU and GPU's to ¬50-58 during gaming)

Specs are as follows;

Case THERMALTAKE CORE X71 TEMPERED GLASS EDITION GAMING CASE
Custom Liquid Cooling KitLiquid Series Extreme Kit - EK
TubingClear Hardline PETG Tubing (Bent/Black Fittings)
Graphics Card CoolingGPU Water Block - For Two Identical Graphics Cards!
Coolant ColourMayhems Pastel Ice White
LED Lighting2x 50cm Red LED Strip
Overclocked CPUOverclocked Intel® Core™ i9-10900X 10 Core (3.7GHz @ up to 4.7GHz)
MotherboardASUS® ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING II: ATX, USB 3.2, SATA 6 GB/s, Wi-Fi AC - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card11GB ASUS ROG STRIX GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti - HDMI, DP
2nd Graphics Card11GB ASUS ROG STRIX GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti - HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive4TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 5400RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
Power SupplyCORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound CardONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
My guess also is the OC. It's likely became unstable over the time period, which is a common thing. OCs need fairly routine adjustment to operate at peak.

Strandza

Hey all, I appreciate the swift responses, I've gone into my BIOS and F5 and Saved and Exited, and no longer have "Overclocking X%" on my start-up screen so hopefully it's disabled, I've uninstalled things like AISuite just incase as they also mention OC stuff ^^

I'll keep you posted today if I have an update

Strandza

Hey All,

a quick update for you;

I've been playing FFXIV for a couple hours now, seemingly all was good I disabled OC and also saw a setting called "Multi Core Enhancement" I disabled both after some research and played for an hour straight, so then I thought I would test it, I re-enabled the AI Overclocker in the BIOS but kept the MCE disabled, crashed. Then tried enabling MCE and disabling Overclocking, crashed.

So then I disabled them both again, booted back up and within 5 minutes it crashed, however not the "normal" crash I have been experiencing, the sound kept playing for ¬10 seconds, followed by 2 beeps from my headset then shutdown and restart - however, this was under a slightly higher load, I was in a dungeon on FFXIV so, a few animations, but I don't have everything on high settings anyway, then I was just sat in a queue on New World, however, I do believe that with the specs of my PC it should be able to handle a game booted up in idle and FFXIV primary?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I notice that you have 2 GPUs in the build. Do you make use of both of them? There are a few games that really don't play nice with SLI so I'm wondering if that's been a contributing factor.

Do you use the desktop for things other than gaming? It's a very extreme build, no doubt, but definitely not best suited for gaming.

In your shoes I would actually remove and sell on one of the 2080Ti's. You will still get good money for it without much in the way of drawbacks.

Strandza

Hey Scott,

Just an update, it just crashed again with everything closed other than FFXIV, so it wasn't because of load bear which I suppose is nice to know!

I do not use the PC for anything other than Gaming, so having this issue is problematic.

I'm not overly technical with PC's, I'm kind of a buy and forget type of person, I have built a PC once before (never again...) but I would honestly have no clue how to remove one of the GPU's with the Water Cooling system in there, is it just a clip out and take out like usual?

I would be open to selling one of the GPU's definitely, I have had comments before about how it's somewhat pointless having 2 in most cases

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Unfortunately if both cards are connected to the liquid cooling it's not quite so straight forward.

It would require draining of the system, removing of the card & blocking off of the feed to and from the card before re-filling.

The system is a beast but unfortunately just not that geared towards gaming. Regardless, lets try and solve this.

If it was working before flawlessly then something has changed. Whether that be a software configuration or a hardware failure.

Lets try using software to cut you down to one GPU and see how that fairs. If you go into the Nvidia control panel you should be able to go into the SLI options/tab and disable SLI. This will then default the system to the card that the monitor is plugged into (recommended that this is the top GPU).

I would ensure that your Nvidia drivers are up to date. A good way of ensuring this is to visit the Nvidia Website itself and download the installer for your card. I would also consider using DDU to completely remove the driver altogether before continuing with this install.

Strandza

Hey Scott,

Appreciate your detailed responses, I have disabled SLI in NVidia Control Panel, and ensured my GPU is completely up to date, I'll go ahead and proceed with my usual usage habits and let you know if I encounter issues again, I'll also see if I can arrange for someone to disconnect the 2nd 2080TI for me rather than attempting this myself as it seems to be all connected together 🤯

Strandza

@Scott - Just a quick question, if I'm disabling SLI anyway, is it worth me going into Device Manager and completely disabling my 2nd GPU entirely, until I can get it removed?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I don't see any reason why not. I don't know if it will help anything but I don't think it will harm anything.

Strandza

I don't see any reason why not. I don't know if it will help anything but I don't think it will harm anything.
Thanks Scott, since disabling SLI I haven't had any crashes, however I've noticed severe "lag and latency" in windows, i.e. opening Task Manager takes ¬5 seconds after selecting it, then filtering each tab slows and takes ¬3-5 seconds to actually happen, same with taskbar etc.

EDIT: Disregard, my PC had put itself into Power Saver Mode for some reason and disabling this seems to have fixed it

Last edited: