PC Crashing - help please

TVByrne

I bought a PC for my daughter in June, she now tells me that whenever she boots up Minecraft or Discord the CPU goes to 100%, which shuts off the PC and it has to be restarted, losing games and progress. I'm not technical so relied heavily on the 'check' function in the ordering system.

What advise/fix can you suggest

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-11700 (2.5GHz) 16MB Cache
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M DS3H V2 (rev. 1.0) : LGA1200, DDR4, USB 3.2
Memory (RAM) 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 SUPER - HDMI, DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive 1TB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 470MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NOT REQUIRED
Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 EXTERNAL SD/MICRO SD CARD READER
Power Supply CORSAIR 450W CV SERIES™ CV-450 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling PCS FrostFlow 100 RGB V3 Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If you're still using Bullguard I'd strongly suggest you fully uninstall that first. It's well known on here for causing issues and you really don't need it, Windows Defender is plenty good enough.

If it still crashes without Bullguard please post back and we'll do some more detailed troubleshooting.

TVByrne

If you're still using Bullguard I'd strongly suggest you fully uninstall that first. It's well known on here for causing issues and you really don't need it, Windows Defender is plenty good enough.

If it still crashes without Bullguard please post back and we'll do some more detailed troubleshooting.
Hi there, thanks for the answer, she says she has deinstalled it already

Im aware the discord overlay can cause issues steps to disable it

To disable it entirely:
Click on the System Tray to show hidden icons.
Double-click the Discord icon.
Click on the Settings icon.
Click on Overlay on the navigation bar.
Switch "Enable in-game overlay" to off.
Set-Keybind-the-Toggle-Overlay-option-1024x531.jpg

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Could you please upload the event logs? The post here explains how to do that. It's possible they're small enough to upload direct to the forum, if not upload them to the cloud somewhere with a link to them here.They will help us see what problems are occurring on the PC. :)

TVByrne

Could you please upload the event logs? The post here explains how to do that. It's possible they're small enough to upload direct to the forum, if not upload them to the cloud somewhere with a link to them here.They will help us see what problems are occurring on the PC. :)
Apologies, we dont know how to access the event log. however on the cpu usage the thing that is using 100% seems to be Open JDK platform Binary.

TVByrne

Its the overlay of discord not discord itself she would still be able to use discord
Im aware the discord overlay can cause issues steps to disable it

To disable it entirely:
Click on the System Tray to show hidden icons.
Double-click the Discord icon.
Click on the Settings icon.
Click on Overlay on the navigation bar.
Switch "Enable in-game overlay" to off.View attachment 28129
what does doing this do to help can i ask?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Apologies, we dont know how to access the event log. however on the cpu usage the thing that is using 100% seems to be Open JDK platform Binary.
That's the Open Java Development Kit. Some app that you have that uses Java is most likely the culprit then. That sounds more like a misbehaving app than a hardware or system problem.

TVByrne

That's the Open Java Development Kit. Some app that you have that uses Java is most likely the culprit then. That sounds more like a misbehaving app than a hardware or system problem.
oh okay thank you for your help, do you have any tips on what to do or am i just going to ahve to leave it?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
oh okay thank you for your help, do you have any tips on what to do or am i just going to ahve to leave it?
Just google Minecraft 100% CPU, there are loads of threads about it

Make sure you're using the 64Bit version of minecraft and not 32bit

It's just a case of finding which bug relates to your setup.