PC freezes (and stops)

RomainT

Hi,
I ordered a PC 1 year ago (Jun 2020, order #1763418) and added an NvidiaGTX1060-6G that was in my previous PC, I never had any issue with the PC until this weekend. This weekend, I followed a "well known" Youtube tutorial on how to model and render a 3D Donut in Blender. The first time I rendered my Donut, the PC froze (I couldn't move the mouse, ctrl+alt+del didn't work) so I power-cycled it. After reboot, I tried the render again. This time, after freezing for a few seconds, the pc stopped without warning. "Windows events" didn't log any crash/BSOD.

I am not a PC hardware person. Since I added a GPU that wasn't in the initial build, I first thought about the power supply; asking Google:
GPU (1060): 120Watts
CPU (i7-10700): 214Watts
So the 550W power supply seams enough.

Next, I thought about CPU temperature (PCS had to change the CPU fan during the build). Using Real Temp, the CPU temperature goes up to 100C during the render. I found the maximum temperature for this processor is 100C (https://technical.city/en/cpu/Core-i7-10700). I also used HWiNFO64 but everything is "green" or "orange" (as long as I don't see "Red", I assume I'm OK)

Wouldn't the CPU throttle instead of stopping the whole PC?
How can I be sure the culprit is the CPU? I assume PCS tested the CPU under load, it doesn't make sense that it's what is failing.
I recorded (using my phone) the video outputs of HWiNFO and RealTemp. I am happy to share if it can help (and that it's not obvious to someone knowledgeable that a pc stopping like that is due to X).

Thank you for your time.

Screenshot from 2021-06-14 14-44-46.png

PC Specs from PCS orders page:
Case PCS GENESIS G1B CASE + SD CARD READER
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-10700 (2.9GHz) 16MB Cache
MotherboardGigabyte Z490 UD (LGA1200, USB 3.2, CrossFireX) - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics CardINTEGRATED GRAPHICS ACCELERATOR (GPU)
1st Storage Drive256GB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (500MB/R, 400MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive1TB INTEL® 660p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 1800MB/sR | 1800MB/sW)
Power SupplyCORSAIR 550W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingSTANDARD CPU COOLER
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: PCS FrostFlow 100 V2 Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Extra Case Fans1x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless Network CardWIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

+ Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
That looks to me like the CPU cooler is failing. This is about the 4th of those PCS Frostflows that I've seen fail in about a year I tend to discourage people from getting them because of that.

I would contact PCS and see what they say