PC Freezing up.

CMP01

Enthusiast
Hi all,

So I'll try to keep this short while giving as much detail as I can. Also worth mentioning I'm not the most software savvy guy... can build a PC but any SW issues are a muddle through affair... but here's my issue and observations.

I've had this PCS desktop since May '21 with no issues thus far but recently this started and has been getting worse.
It began a few weeks ago with my mouse (a Razer Naga Pro running via dongle) freezing up, lagging, and the cursor disappearing intermittently for minutes at a time. During this, windows scroll, get moved, opened and closed etc... almost like it was possessed though likely due to continued mouse movements belatedly catching up etc. On my initial troubleshooting, examining the mouse I found a small piece of the film wrap remaining on the sensor and removed it. I thought this the issue but the freezing continued after a few hours. After trying other mice I have spare, both via wifi and cable, and reinstalling the relevant mouse softwares (Razer and Corsair) with the same issue occurring, I tried changing mouse settings (hardware acceleration etc) and it seemed to work for a while anyway...

At this point it had been fine for a few days so thinking it solved I went ahead with the Win 10-11 upgrade (via PC settings) that I had been needing to do for a while.

Well, since then the issue has steadily gotten worse with me trying solutions found online before coming here. The same mouse issue persists plus it now locks up when trying to exit apps and/or change tabs (Edge mostly) and on any video playback (like Steam) but not yt. Malwarebytes and McAfee both show up no issues, though McAfee has also recently started freezing up too. Gaming in fact is the only time (so far, only 2-3 games attempted since it started) where it doesn't freeze up and all is as should be.

I was concerned that I'd inadvertently changed some major setting, most likely during a freezing episode, but a look at BIOS and PC settings all seem as they should be or previously were. Three days ago, switching the PC on I got a CPU overheat message displayed (American Megatrends screen but not BIOS) after which, with another start up after a power button shut down (that screen having no options to exit it) it was fine. My temps, monitored via iCue and RTSS have otherwise been fine as normal through this episode. Since then I haven't turned it back on as it's too frustrating to use.

Anyway, I'm now at a complete loss re what to do. Any help much appreciated in advance.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Malwarebytes and McAfee both show up no issues,
There's your issue.

McAfee is awful and should be destroyed on site.

I wouldn't bother trying to clean the system, I would just do a clean install. That's not to fix the issue as such, purely to get a working windows back.

But as the issue is occurring with different mice, it suggests a software issue rather than hardware. Windows clean install takes no time and then you know it's sorted.

CMP01

Enthusiast
There's your issue.

McAfee is awful and should be destroyed on site.

I wouldn't bother trying to clean the system, I would just do a clean install. That's not to fix the issue as such, purely to get a working windows back.

But as the issue is occurring with different mice, it suggests a software issue rather than hardware. Windows clean install takes no time and then you know it's sorted.

Hi (and how's you? been a while since I logged on here due to chaotic times lol)

I was thinking a Windows reinstall might be the next best step but tbh wanted to check first.
Also, yeah... McAfee isn't the best option for the task but I've had free access to it for years (family account) I'll give it a miss from now on though as possibly the worst freezing/lagging so far has been when that's been in use.
Any recommendations for other, better like apps would be very welcome (especially as a family/multi-device deal, it's not so much my PC that's any risk but all the other devices I have to look after)
Another thing I noticed, prior to trying a reinstall was (assuming I do a full wipe etc) I tried using a portable SanDisk drive I have to take the 120Gb or so of most important/irreplaceable files off. It's a 500Gb drive but the PC reckons it's 31Gb at present. Weird but I'll figure it out.

Anyway, I'll do the reinstall, get apps back on, test etc and report back. Thanks!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Any recommendations for other, better like apps would be very welcome (especially as a family/multi-device deal, it's not so much my PC that's any risk but all the other devices I have to look after)
Windows defender is a full suite and comes built in to windows. It's far far better and doesn't cause any issues.

It's a 500Gb drive but the PC reckons it's 31Gb at present. Weird but I'll figure it out.
Possibly partitioned, you can delete partitions in disk manager.