PC game must haves

Mattyp

Enthusiast
I was wondering what PC games do you consider absolute must haves?

I really only play RTS and FPS games on my PC currently, and am just looking for some suggestions as to some other games to get into. What PC exclusive (or games that are far superior on PC) would you guys recommend?

I am currently playing Supreme Commander and Borderlands. Still have Farcry 2 to get into (can't seem to find anywhere on that game and seem to be aimlessly driving places). I am thinking of getting Starcraft 2, but I'm cheap so I'm tempted to wait 'til it drops in price a little a bit. Supreme Commander is definitely filling a void, but I am starting to get a bit bored of it.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
You asked for games that are PC exclusive or superior on the PC...and then tell us you have TF2 on the 360! :D

For your RTS needs, get some Dawn of War/II in your life.

For your shooter needs, although a little curve ball in terms of genre, try Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Mattyp

Enthusiast
You asked for games that are PC exclusive or superior on the PC...and then tell us you have TF2 on the 360! :D

For your RTS needs, get some Dawn of War/II in your life.

For your shooter needs, although a little curve ball in terms of genre, try Batman: Arkham Asylum.

I've been considering DOW2 but I hear that it down plays a lot of the RTS elements? I've already completed Arkham Asylum but it is a great game.

Team Fortess 2 is a no brainer on my part, I apologise for my stupidity :p

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
You are forgiven :)

It is true that DoW2 is more RTS/RPG, with a small squad rather than huge tank battles.

If classic RTS is more your thing, find a DoW bundle with all the expansions. The original game, and Winter Assault are awesome, and the others...well...they arent as good, but still fun :)

TudorVII

Enthusiast
I agree with everything DED has said regarding DoW. Absolutely awesome game, just wish multiplayer wasn't ruined by noobs..... like me.

Mattyp

Enthusiast
I might give the 2nd one a try just to broaden my horizons a bit. The only problem is the 'Warhammer' attached to the title, meaning I will need to hide the game from all my friends in fear of ridicule :p

I've been looking at Sins of a Solar Empire, Homeworld 2, and Total War: Shogun 2 as well if anyone has any experience with those? It seems all the good RTS games are really old and wont use my PCs power very effectively!

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Homeworld/2 were/I] amazing. I am not too sure theyd really seem as good now, though would still give them a try if I could find a copy (my old one seems to have been buried in the garage somewhere...and probably wouldnt work with Win7 anyway!)

And as to Warhammer...you play PC game my dear boy, you can't escape the ill informed notion of outsiders that you are a geek, whether you play Warhammer games or not. Now, when it comes to WoW...hide it at all costs :D

Greenman

Enthusiast
In terms of RTS games, Rome is the best Total War, get Shogun 2 and Empire to test your system. For FPS games, get metro 2033, great game and bound to push your PC.

Barnaby89

I'm playing Company of Heroes again and loving it. I'm sure you've looked at it?

Definitely give the Total War games a try. One of my favourite games series ever.

I'm also playing the Red Orchestra 2 beta and it's a refreshing change, though not everyone's cup of tea.

Metro 2033 is a nice SP FPS, seems to be on offer for less than a fiver quite regularly.

By the way you might be waiting a while for SC2 to drop, it hasn't budged yet.

Mattyp

Enthusiast
I've seen company of heroes and looked into getting it. Normally like my RTS games full of fantasy and nonsense, but may look into a war one if it's good!

I saw Metro on steam the other day on offer, should've got it then!

I bought SC2 though....