PC Gaming on HDTV with High End GPU

gavmac

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all,

I'm fairly close to buying my first high(ish) end gaming computer from this site and was wondering about playing it on a 40" LED HDTV.

What I'm trying to find out is if there a point where a high end GPU, like a GTX 770, wouldn't be best suited for TV, due to it being 60Hz and not 120Hz like a lot of monitors out there? So, if my computer was capable of a high frame rate, would this show on the TV?

Or, maybe an easier way of asking the same question would be, would a Titan look much different than the 770, on a TV such as mine?

Any advice would be grand. Cheers.

ps. I'm not getting a Titan, just an example for clarification

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
I feel like I should have gpot a 120hz monitor. Sadly when I got my 32" 60hz I didn't really know much. My telly is at 60hz too, so there is no difference for me. But I imagine a 120hz would make a difference, yeah.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I don't think you will find any improvement getting a titan in your tv. I have a 42' Plasma TV and when attempting to game the quality is not as good as with my 27' monitor probably due to the size. If you have a 120hz screen then a SLI set up may be beneficial, personally I can't notice the difference between 60hz and 120hz.

gavmac

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for your reply Nathan.

So do you think there would be a point where the TV would kind of 'stop' showing up the quality of GPU due to the lower Hz? Like, is there a limit for GPU power where you have to get a better monitor to show any more graphical improvement?

Cheers

gavmac

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks Keynes. So would a 770 be okay? Or is that still powerful enough to justify a monitor?

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Well I'm not too sure on the technical side of things to be perfectly honest and I wouldn't want to give you incorrect information (perhaps someone else could help you there?!) but the 770 is a pretty decent GPU and will look great on either type. From what I understand a 60hz display refresh its image 60 times a second, and a 120 double that.

I've copied and pasted this from elsewhere which may help:

Let me see if I can confuse the issue a little more (my limited understanding of this subject): The importance of 120Hz comes into play when we are dealing with film-shot material rather than video-shot material, keeping in mind that film is 24fps and video is 30fps or sometimes 60fps. A 60Hz display refreshes it's image 60 times per second and 120Hz doubles that. For video, there is no problem displaying a smooth image on a 60Hz display because the number of video frames will divide evenly into the display rate. But when using film material that is 24fps, the frame rate will not divide evenly into the 60 frame display rate, so the 3:2 pulldown technique is put into play. This means that for every 3 video frames that display once, there is a single video frame that is displayed twice. This allows an even frame rate to be divided into an odd-numbered display rate. This 3:2 causes artifacts, such as blurriness or choppy frames during fast motion.

Now, the 120Hz display rate can be divided evenly by both film's 24fps as well as video's 30fps or 60fps, thus eliminating the need for the 3:2 pulldown math. But keep in mind that video-shot material will look good on both a 60Hz and a 120Hz display, especially HD video. Film-based material won't look as good on a 60Hz display as a 120Hz display because of the need for the 3:2 pulldown. As far as standard-def material, this will look crummy regardless of the display rate.

SOURCE: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7596_102-271746/60hz-vs-120hz/

Edit: I understand this is for film and not gaming, but the prinicple should be pretty similar, and if you can get a 770 up to 60fps (which you probably will do if you tweak game settings well enough) you should be fine :)

Last edited:

gavmac

Bronze Level Poster
These are my current thoughts. However, I'm now toying with the idea of a bigger case, in case I wanted to go SLI in the future.. But the spec would be roughly the same.

Case
BitFenix Prodigy Mini-ITX Case (Black)

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-3570K (3.4GHz) 6MB Cache

Motherboard
ASUS® P8Z77-I DELUXE: Mini-ITX, LG1155, Wi-Fi, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs

Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPERX BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2400MHz X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)

Graphics Card
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 770 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
120GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

2nd Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
15x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW

Power Supply
450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan

Processor Cooling
Corsair H40 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler (£39)

Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities
2 x HomePlug 200Mbps - Turn any Electrical Socket into a Network (£38)

USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Power Cable
1 x 2 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Cable Tidy
JML 1.5M Zip Cable Tidy - Professional Cable Management For Your PC (£4)

Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)

Maximum Required Power
438W

keynes

Multiverse Poster
by bigger case you mean not a mini-pc? it might not be ideal to SLI in a mini-pc due to cooling restrictions. Are you overclocking your cpu? anything else apart from gaming?

gavmac

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks Nathan, that's some good/techy info there!

Keynes, not a mini pc. I love the look of the Prodigy but I would also like the option to go SLI further down the line, hence the thoughts of a bigger case. It'll be just used for gaming for now but, with the CPU I've gone for the K just so I try out overclocking. I'm kind of wanting to get into pc's more, understand how they work etc.

MadMan

Super Star
Id reccommend a bigger case when gaming. Its just the airflow will be better. Also you could add a second gpu as long as your power supply is suffienct. Apart from that it looks like a well balanced powerful spec :)

gavmac

Bronze Level Poster
Hi Madman,

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I'm swaying toward a bigger case. At least then I'll have the option to go SLI later down the line. As well as that, buying a decent gaming rig is pretty expensive so, for me, it's better to think a bit further down the line.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Hi Madman,

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I'm swaying toward a bigger case. At least then I'll have the option to go SLI later down the line. As well as that, buying a decent gaming rig is pretty expensive so, for me, it's better to think a bit further down the line.

If you are going for a tower I'd suggest the h80i cpu cooler and a pre-overclocked system from PCS to avoid instability issues. There is no noticeable gains for gaming between 1600mhz and 2400mhz, I'd suggest going for the cheapest RAM.