PC hanging on PCS splash screen

Freeley

Hi all, I've had a PCS desktop for 3 years now (see spec below) and it's been brilliant with absolutely no problems at all.
However last night when I went to shut down it had frozen and was totally unresponsive to the muse and keyboard, forcing me to shut down by holding down the power button.
Now today when I've turned it on it starts as normal, posting with a single beep but then when it gets to the PCS splash screen it hangs and won't go any further.
I've tried starting it with the windows DVD in the drive to attempt a repair but nothing happens and it remains stuck on the splash screen.
Can anyone suggest what I could do to get it running please?
Spec is:
Showing Order Reference 1176860
CaseCOOLERMASTER CM690 III WHITE CASE (Limited Edition!)
Overclocked CPUOverclocked Intel® Core™i7-7700k Quad Core (4.20GHz @ up to 4.8GHz)
OC BIOS FIleDownload Overclock BIOS File
MotherboardASUS® ROG STRIX Z270E GAMING: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)16GB HyperX PREDATOR DDR4 3200MHz X.M.P (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Storage DriveNOT REQUIRED
1st M.2 SSD Drive512GB SAMSUNG SM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3200MB/R, 1700MB/W)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 1TB SAMSUNG PM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3000MB/R, 1700MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power SupplyCORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingNoctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
LED Lighting50cm White LED Strip
Extra Case Fans1x 120mm Apache Black Quiet Fan (fitted to extract from rear/roof)
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemGenuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10 (64-bit) Home DVD with paper sleeve
Office SoftwareNO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-VirusNO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
BrowserGoogle Chrome™
Warranty3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
DeliveryPCS EXTRA-CARE DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND - MON-FRI, PRE-10.30AM
Build TimeStandard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days

Pricing Information
Price (Ex VAT)£1,510.00
Price£1,812.00
Order Quantity1
Bulk Discount£0.00
Total Order Price (Ex VAT)£1,510.00
Total Order Price£1,812.00
P/O NumberEdit P/O Number
Payment MethodDebit Card
Courier Instructions
Maximum Required Power405W

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
That doesn't sound good, especially since it won't boot the installation media.

First off, if your mouse and/or keyboard are wireless then replace the batteries.

Next, remove all external devices except the monitor, mouse and keyboard and try booting again.

After that unlug it from the mains completely and hold the power on button down for 60 seconds (nothing exciting will happen) then try booting again.

After that, replace the CMOS battery (it's almost certainly a CR2032) and try booting again.

If it still won't boot then we'll have to start pulling components....

Freeley

That doesn't sound good, especially since it won't boot the installation media.

First off, if your mouse and/or keyboard are wireless then replace the batteries.

Next, remove all external devices except the monitor, mouse and keyboard and try booting again.

After that unlug it from the mains completely and hold the power on button down for 60 seconds (nothing exciting will happen) then try booting again.

After that, replace the CMOS battery (it's almost certainly a CR2032) and try booting again.

If it still won't boot then we'll have to start pulling components....
Thanks for the response only just seen this sorry.
While I was waiting on a reply I spent some time looking for similar threads and saw someone suggesting turning off PC, switching off from mains and leaving for a few minutes.
Remarkably this actually worked and all seems good at the moment - will return if the problem persists thanks

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
It's possible that the OC is starting to fail. It sounds like a key indication to me.

That being the case you would either need to lower the OC a little (if it happens again of course) or increase the voltage a little. This depends on what it's currently set at though :)

Freeley

It's possible that the OC is starting to fail. It sounds like a key indication to me.

That being the case you would either need to lower the OC a little (if it happens again of course) or increase the voltage a little. This depends on what it's currently set at though :)

Thanks Scott.
I've never changed these settings before, I take it I do this by going into bios during start up?
I'll wait and see how stable it is over the next few days cheers

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Thanks Scott.
I've never changed these settings before, I take it I do this by going into bios during start up?
I'll wait and see how stable it is over the next few days cheers

Yes, in the BIOS is the most direct way of changing it. There will be a multiplier likely set to 48 (if it's 4.8Ghz)... you would just set this to 47 and check for stability.