PC Has Stopped Booting Up and Beeps are Now Heard

Hello all - happy holidays to everyone,

So my PC won't boot up and I can hear a number of beeps following power up. The mother board is as follows:

ASUS® TUF Z490-PLUS GAMING (LGA1200, USB 3.2, CrossFireX) and I hear one long beep followed by three short beeps.

I've emailed tech support but I was wondering if anyone had any advice in the mean time?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hello all - happy holidays to everyone,

So my PC won't boot up and I can hear a number of beeps following power up. The mother board is as follows:

ASUS[emoji2400] TUF Z490-PLUS GAMING (LGA1200, USB 3.2, CrossFireX) and I hear one long beep followed by three short beeps.

I've emailed tech support but I was wondering if anyone had any advice in the mean time?

Thanks in advance.

Dave
Can you post the full specs from the order please so we can all see exactly what we're looking at?

How many beeps? Some long, some short? It's a code so we need to know.

How long have you had the PC? When did this start?

RogWal

Silver Level Poster
Hello Dave.

For your ASUS TUF Z490-Plus motherboard, the manual states:

1609247302484.png

That indicates the system cannot find a graphics output. Few things to try whilst you wait for Support to contact you back:
  • carefully reseat the graphics card in case it has worked loose, or was not fully seated.
  • ensure the monitor is switched on before you power on the PC
  • try another cable in case the current one has developed a fault

Thanks for the reply.

Here is the full spec.

Case: CORSAIR iCUE 220T RGB AIRFLOW MID TOWER GAMING CASE
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-10700KF (3.8GHz) 16MB Cache
Motherboard: ASUS® TUF Z490-PLUS GAMING (LGA1200, USB 3.2, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready
Memory: 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card: 6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 - HDMI, DP - VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive: 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive: 512GB Intel® H10 NVMe SSD + 32GB Intel® Optane™ (up to 2300MB/sR | 1300MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive: NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply: CORSAIR 450W CV SERIES™ CV-450 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler Black Edition
Thermal Paste: ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card: ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless Network Card: WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System: Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence

I've had it from mid October 2020 and it been fine. The problem started on 27th Dec. The last successful startup was 24th Dec so it has been off for Xmas day/Boxing day.

The beeps I hear are as follows:

1 long beep and 3 short beeps.

Googling the pattern it appears that it may be the graphics card. On visual inspection the card looks fully seated in the MB and the fan spins and the power connection looks to be connected - the only thing that aroused some concern was that the power cable looks to be very tightly fitted to the card. The cable has been tied back to keep it neat but it looks really tight and could be pulling on the card.

Cheers

Dave

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thanks for the reply.

Here is the full spec.

Case: CORSAIR iCUE 220T RGB AIRFLOW MID TOWER GAMING CASE
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-10700KF (3.8GHz) 16MB Cache
Motherboard: ASUS® TUF Z490-PLUS GAMING (LGA1200, USB 3.2, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready
Memory: 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card: 6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 - HDMI, DP - VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive: 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive: 512GB Intel® H10 NVMe SSD + 32GB Intel® Optane™ (up to 2300MB/sR | 1300MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive: NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply: CORSAIR 450W CV SERIES™ CV-450 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler Black Edition
Thermal Paste: ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card: ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless Network Card: WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System: Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence

I've had it from mid October 2020 and it been fine. The problem started on 27th Dec. The last successful startup was 24th Dec so it has been off for Xmas day/Boxing day.

The beeps I hear are as follows:

1 long beep and 3 short beeps.

Googling the pattern it appears that it may be the graphics card. On visual inspection the card looks fully seated in the MB and the fan spins and the power connection looks to be connected - the only thing that aroused some concern was that the power cable looks to be very tightly fitted to the card. The cable has been tied back to keep it neat but it looks really tight and could be pulling on the card.

Cheers

Dave
Ok, remove the card and replace it, and check the plugs go on properly.

Hi All,

So I have my wrist band and I re-seated the graphics car but I had the same series of beeps. So I swapped the HDMI cable and the POST checks works and I finally got a graphical output. Seems to be an issue with the HDMI cable.

However I have a new problem :). It appears that Win10 has been corrupted and won't boot.

Here is the sequence of events that occurs.

1. When it boots up, it now goes to a drive checking process whereby it checks and repairs the c: drive. It then reports that it has completed the repair 100%, and then re-boots.
2. On the second boot it displays an "Preparing Automatic Repair..." message that then leads to a blue screen which I think is a Windows repair menu called WinRE.

I've tired to boot to safe mode but the same sequence of events occurs. If you cancel the c: drive check then it displays a CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED windows error message.

It also won't accept my admin password so I'm limited in terms of repair options from this menu. I do have a USB recovery thumb drive and I can boot to the Win10 installation screen from that.

I'm tempted just to re-install windows from the USB as my data is backed up but just wanted to know if this would be a recommended approach.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

RogWal

Silver Level Poster
Yep, if your data is backed-up onto another device, then a clean reinstall would be favourite.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Glad you sorted the initial problem, and another vote for a clean install followed by windows update till it is all up to date

Hi all,

So the re-installation didn't go so well. It installed correctly but still would not boot properly and kept sending me to the recovery menu.

Interestingly, I could see 2 OS's were installed but it simply did not matter which one I tried to boot from it didn't work.

So I tried a second install and now its behavior has changed. When I now boot I get a title "Recovery" at the top and an error code "0xc0000001" - Press F1 to enter recovery menu".

When I enter WinrRE it now asks me to set my keyboard settings so its as though the whole Windows Boot Manager has crashed / reset.

Tried a third installation hoping the reset would clear things up but now the installation fails at the end and no data is saved.

Not sure where to go from here but it looks like a boot manager / secure boot issue!! Not sure where to go from here.

Could thi be secure boot preventing it booting up?

Cheers

Dave

RogWal

Silver Level Poster
Do you have a backup of your data (i.e. a backup that is not on your computer)? If so, best thing to try is to do a clean installation of Windows, and delete all existing partitions and let the installation process recreate them. This will remove any boot issues from previous Windows installations.

*edit*
As you have two OS's installed, it doesn't look like you totally removed the old Windows installation and its boot environment. Deleting the partitions during the Windows installation will ensure that no issues at all will be carried over from the previous Windows installation/environment.

Last edited:
Hi Rogwal,

Thank you very much. It just didn't occur to me to delete the partitions when I tried re-installing Win10 the first time.

As was said above by a few ppl when it comes to Windows you need a complete re-install of everything!

So I'm back up and running now so thanks to all of you for the prompt responses and sound advice.

Happy new year !

Thanks

Dave