PC Keeps crashing with "spike" protection

youradds

Hi,

I've got a REALLY annoying issue. We recently had air con fitted to the house, and this keeps causing the power to trip out. We've got an electrician sorting this out BUT in the mean time, my computer keeps coming up with the restart screen saying "ASUS surge protection was activated". The annoying thing, is that I DO have a UPS that is meant to stop anything like that (the machine doesn't loose power... its just this damn surge protection message that keeps coming up).

I've lost countless hours of work due to this - so I'd really like to find a solution.

Any ideas? I can post spec + UPS spec if needed, but thought I'd just ask the more general question first :eek:

TIA

Andy

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
The UPS will not stop surges of power. All that does is store some extra power and will kick in during a power cut. Basically a battery. Sadly it doesn't deal with power surges, and you will need a surge protector to sort this. Although you may have lost a lot of work, you should be glad that ASUS Surge Protection kicked in, otherwise there would be too much voltage supplied, which will damage or even destroy your components.

Backups are always good to prevent the loss of work as well.

BUT in the mean time, my computer keeps coming up with the restart screen saying "ASUS surge protection was activated".
A solution starts by first understanding the problem. For example, a 'surge' on a USB port is not what so many only assume. That 'surge' is only too much load. Another 'surge' is when AC power is restored with the resulting low voltage. The word 'surge' has numerous meanings. If using subjective reasoning, then you probably have assumed too much.

An Asus surge typically means one voltage is too low. That voltage was probably always defective. But only sometimes causes a crash. To say more requires a simple $5 or $17 tool (a multimeter). Or just replace parts until something works. Those are your two options.

That surge message says nothing about what you have only assumed a UPS does. Even surge protection provided by a UPS is near zero. But then that is a 'surge' completely different from the 'surge' defined by Asus.