Pc keeps restarting

So, this problem has been happening about 2 days. I started having this problem about 2 hours after I tried installing an older game onto my computer and the installation failed. My pc is a asus running on windows 7 64bit. I recently just did a repair setup with it with my windows disk and idk if it will continue or not. we will have to see. anyways i cant go 5 minutes doing something and it restarts on me. Help

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Windows is configured by default to automatically restart if a system problem occurs, I suspect the failed installation of the older game is the culprit there.

By 'repair setup' do you mean you ran the 'Startup Repair' tool from your installation disk? That's really only designed to fix systems that won't boot properly and I doubt it will fix your shutdown issue.

The first thing I'd suggest is to check that your system files are not corrupted, to do that open an elevated command prompt (or PowerShell session) and enter the command 'sfc /scannow' (without the quotes).

If sfc reports no corruptions found then your system files are good.

If sfc reports corruptions found but corrected then your system files were bad but are now good. See whether the restarts continue now.

If sfc reports corruptions found that could not be corrected then do the following...

In an elevated command prompt (or PowerShell session) enter the command 'dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth' (without the quotes).

If the above dism command reports no corruptions found and your sfc /scannow failed with corrupt system files you need to reinstall Windows.

If the above dism command reports corruptions found then do the following...

In an elevated command prompt (or PowerShell session) enter the command 'dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth' (without the quotes).

If the above command reports corruptions found but not corrected you need to reinstall Windows.

If the above command reports corruptions found and corrected then re-run the 'sfc /scannow' command again and any corruptions in your system files should be corrected now.

See whether that stops it.

Last edited:
Windows is configured by default to automatically restart if a system problem occurs, I suspect the failed installation of the older game is the culprit there.

By 'repair setup' do you mean you ran the 'Startup Repair' tool from your installation disk? That's really only designed to fix systems that won't boot properly and I doubt it will fix your shutdown issue.

The first thing I'd suggest is to check that your system files are not corrupted, to do that open an elevated command prompt (or PowerShell session) and enter the command 'sfc /scannow' (without the quotes).

If sfc reports no corruptions found then your system files are good.

If sfc reports corruptions found but corrected then your system files were bad but are now good. See whether the restarts continue now.

If sfc reports corruptions found that could not be corrected then do the following...

In an elevated command prompt (or PowerShell session) enter the command 'dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth' (without the quotes).

If the above dism command reports no corruptions found and your sfc /scannow failed with corrupt system files you need to reinstall Windows.

If the above dism command reports corruptions found then do the following...

In an elevated command prompt (or PowerShell session) enter the command 'dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth' (without the quotes).

If the above command reports corruptions found but not corrected you need to reinstall Windows.

If the above command reports corruptions found and corrected then re-run the 'sfc /scannow' command again and any corruptions in your system files should be corrected now.

No, I didn't mean startup repair. I basically just did all the repairs my disc offers, including the startup repair. I also did a system recovery. Before I had found my windows disc, I had already done all that and nothing really worked because they could not find any errors in my system. I just tested it out recently to see if anything would happen so I did what I would normally do right before the restart would happen, which was go on the internet and do a few things, then get off and launch Sims 3 and OBS studio to record my next video. Usually after doing all that, in the middle of the game launching itself before going to the saved games on it, that's when the restart would typically happen. I did that as usual and nothing happened. I was able to successfully do what I love without my computer restarting on me, until an update came. It restarted as I was in the middle of it sadly. I will however keep this forum open in case this problem happens to continue.