PC Making Some Strange Noises

TheMightyChris901

Bronze Level Poster
Hello, when I play demanding games my PC makes a strange brrrrr vibrating noise. It sounds like my graphics card is vibrating and then it transfers into my PC case amplifying the vibration. The noise is noticeable and its quite distracting. When I first got my PC everything was fine but the vibrating started about a month ago. I wanted to find a solution so I started to lean my PC by about 10-15 degrees so the motherboard was getting closer to the ground and my case window was looking into the air. By leaning the PC the vibration stopped and I was happy. But my computer is still noisy when under load. I think its because I have a blower style cooler and not an open one. I heard the open coolers are more quiet?

Anyway I have one more problem, I have 1 intake and 2 exhaust fans. I have one exhaust where most computers do above the IO shield, and one ontop of my PC above where my CPU heatsink is. The fan above where the CPU heatsink is makes a ticking/clicking noise for no reason sometimes. I have checked inside the case but I can't seem to find the culprate but when I stop the fan by putting my finger in the middle, the clicking stops. If I gently tap the roof of where the fan is the ticking stops.

Finally the last noise. After leaning my PC like I said earlier, the side panel on my PC behind the motherboard sometimes starts to make a vibrating noise also. I fix this by pressing in the side panel smack bang in the middle for a few seconds.

Could anyone help me out with these problems?

My PC lets same can with a mediocre gtx 970 with a blow cooler design by Palit. I am considering just buying another 970 but this time and MSI gtx 970 which has the twin frozr V cooler solution which from friends is a lot cooler and quieter, and you could (if I wanted) get a higher overclock where as the palit 970 I simply couldn't, because of how loud the fan is in general when playing games, let alone all the vibrations.

Rant over :)

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I remember giving you a list of things to try before with the end result you just decided to keep things as they are and fix it by keeping your PC tilted at an angle.

The new issue with the chassis fan is probably a slightly worn bearing, very easy to replace as you can pick up a new one for about a tenner and fir it in 2 minutes.

The vibration from your side panel is related to the GPU fan issue. I don't know what your warranty status is but can you return the GPU and get a new one in its place?

TheMightyChris901

Bronze Level Poster
I will put the PC flat again and see what happens when I play games, if it keeps vibrating could you tell me how I could return the GPU? The only box I have is the box my PC came in. I have had the PC for just under 3 months with the £5 warranty so I think I am ok. I was also thinking about getting a different 970 because I feel like the blower fan is quite loud, even if I RMA'd and got a new one. If I were to send the GPU back would I be able to get one with an aftermarket cooler? I heard the msi 970 is decent. Of course I would have to pay extra money, but it depends if you could do that and how much more it would cost.

Edit: I would also have to get an advanced replacement because I don't have another GPU I could use while I'm waiting for another one.

Last edited:

TheMightyChris901

Bronze Level Poster
Thats odd, for some reason when I am playing games now its not making the vibrations..... IDK anymore

Edit: I will see how it goes and will say here if it starts again

Edit 2: I have been playing with about 70% GPU usage and 45% fan speed and nothing has be out of the ordinary yet. Hopefully it won't start! (this is with my PC flat)

Last edited:

TheMightyChris901

Bronze Level Poster
Ok well It has started doing the noise again. I think I know what is wrong though. If I manually set the gpu fan speed to 45% (stable under 70C) and then tab out of the game I am playing the noise 'spins down' so its not the fan, it is something inside the GPU. It sounds like a really deep growling/vibrating noise. Now that I have started saying about it here the noise has stopped. Today I was playing a lot of games and it didn't happen either and it only started just now for about 5-10 minutes then it stopped. I am afraid that if I return the GPU the problem won't happen if you test it. But it might be a faulty GPU.

Edit: I just launched another game and it started to do it right away.

Edit 2: I asked my mum to listen but she said she couldn't hear it much but she could hear it, but I know that there is something wrong with it because it never made this sound when I first got the PC. And when I lean the PC for some reason the noise goes away, which doesn't really make any sense. When the PC is idle the growling is still just about hear able, but barley. When I play games and tab out the growling changes tone. I know its not coil whine because when I put my ear up to the PC and move my mouse around in counter strike with 300+fps I can hear coil whine and the sound varies in pitch.

Edit 3: I have found out whats wrong! It was my top case fan all along.... When I take my side panel off and put my finger in the middle of the fan the noise stops! I guess the vibrations from the graphics card playing games was too much for my dastardly case fan....

Edit 4: Ok I stepped up for the first time and took my first ever case fan out of my PC, I turned it on and its so quiet its unbelievable to me! That ones bloody case fan was literally turning me insane.

Last edited: