PC might have issue?

Absolute XXIV

Okay so about 3 days ago my PC was idle on the home screen with no windows open...i was watching TV and it was on in the background, suddenly i hear this loud pop sound coming from the PC (sounded like a firecracker or something) PC switches off and immediately restarted and puts me on the user sign in as normal...i inspect the PC to see if there are any noticeable issues like something blown out or a bunt smell but nothing, everything seemed to be running fine..

At this point i was more worried than anything so i switched it off at the mains...left it off for a good 24 hrs, at first it looked to me like the main cooling fan had snapped but no...obviously i immediately suspected it was something Power Supply related but i couldn't crack it...

I did however on closer inspection notice that the cable connected to the power supply was very loose in the back, even when i tried to push it in it would not plug properly, this was something recent... so i purchased another cable and it plugged in as is it should so i narrowed it down to the cable..

finally, i gained enough courage to turn the PC back on hoping it wouldn't blow up in my face and the Power supply die on me...so far...after a good 2 hrs..nothing, it's running as normal....now i'm stumped as to what this could have been...

Possibly a short circuit that blew the cable out or the extension i was using blew out and caused a short circuit??

I now also notice the SSD M.2 drive constantly flashing red i know the flashing is normal for when it's in use or being read but i don't remember it being a constant thing??

Anyone have any clues what this little scare could have been??

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Okay so about 3 days ago my PC was idle on the home screen with no windows open...i was watching TV and it was on in the background, suddenly i hear this loud pop sound coming from the PC (sounded like a firecracker or something) PC switches off and immediately restarted and puts me on the user sign in as normal...i inspect the PC to see if there are any noticeable issues like something blown out or a bunt smell but nothing, everything seemed to be running fine..

At this point i was more worried than anything so i switched it off at the mains...left it off for a good 24 hrs, at first it looked to me like the main cooling fan had snapped but no...obviously i immediately suspected it was something Power Supply related but i couldn't crack it...

I did however on closer inspection notice that the cable connected to the power supply was very loose in the back, even when i tried to push it in it would not plug properly, this was something recent... so i purchased another cable and it plugged in as is it should so i narrowed it down to the cable..

finally, i gained enough courage to turn the PC back on hoping it wouldn't blow up in my face and the Power supply die on me...so far...after a good 2 hrs..nothing, it's running as normal....now i'm stumped as to what this could have been...

Possibly a short circuit that blew the cable out or the extension i was using blew out and caused a short circuit??

I now also notice the SSD M.2 drive constantly flashing red i know the flashing is normal for when it's in use or being read but i don't remember it being a constant thing??

Anyone have any clues what this little scare could have been??
If the power cable was loose into the PSU that could easily have caused what's called Electrical Arching where the electrical signal has to bridge an air gap which causes cracks and crackles. This would have likely triggered the protection circuit on the PSU as well which is why it could have restarted (depending on what settings were set in the BIOS)

Can you post your full specs from the order page so we can see what we're dealing with?

Absolute XXIV

CasePCS SR-628B RGB GAMING CASE
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: CORSAIR iCUE 465X RGB GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Six Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.4GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® PRIME B450-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.1, 6Gb/s) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 SUPER - HDMI, DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st M.2 SSD DriveNONE
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 512GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2200 MB/R, 1500 MB/W)
1st Storage Drive240GB ADATA SU630 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 450MB/W)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
2nd Storage Drive1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: NONE
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 550W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingSTANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: PCS FrostFlow 100 V2 Series High Performance CPU Cooler (AMD)
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
LED LightingNONE
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 50cm RGB LED Strip
Extra Case FansNONE
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 1 x 120mm Black Case Fan
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless Network CardWIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence

Absolute XXIV

PC turned 2 years old back in May this year, have had no issues with it at all, this was the first big moment really..

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If it's constantly lit red that's because it's being constantly read / written at that point, it will be like that when it boots, definitely.

Is this the light on the case or actually on the drive itself?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Its on the drive itself, in the top corner where i assume the flashes in all Drives.
That's not the drive status light, that's on some cases as an activity light with this symbol

download.jpg

download (1).jpg

That light you're referring to is likely just a connectivity light like on mobo etc.

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
PCS SSDs have an activity light I think, a few posters have reported seeing the same red light

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
PCS SSDs have an activity light I think, a few posters have reported seeing the same red light
Yes, I know there's a red light, but I don't think it's a drive activity light.

But if it is as you suggest, then think the OP needs to speak to PCS to find out what constant flashing signifies.