PC no longer connects to internet via Ethernet

Scoped Badger

Silver Level Poster
Hello all, as the title suggests, my PC has decided to stop connecting to the internet via Ethernet. For reference, my specs are as follows:

I have had my PC since November 2020 and have had zero issues with it.

Things worth knowing:

- I can still connect to my network wirelessly on my PC, laptop, TV, phone etc. and have no issues.
- I have tried a different Ethernet cable and the problem still happens.
- I have connected a laptop via Ethernet to the network and it works absolutely fine.
- I have unplugged both router and modem and tried again - same issue.
- I have reset both router and modem and tried again - same issue.
- I have tried a different Ethernet port on my router - same issue.

I have run both the 'Network Adapter' and 'Internet Connection' trouble shooters within Windows and this is the message I get afterwards.

Screenshot 2023-03-07 150444.png

Screenshot 2023-03-07 150238.png

Windows then tells me that I'm connected to the internet for a maximum of 10 seconds:

Screenshot 2023-03-07 150500.png

I can open a browser and try and use the internet but nothing loads. After that 10 seconds it reverts back to no connection:

Screenshot 2023-03-07 150518.png

That is as far as my expertise goes I'm afraid. Is there anyone here that can help me any further please?

Last edited by a moderator:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello all, as the title suggests, my PC has decided to stop connecting to the internet via Ethernet. For reference, my specs are as follows:

View attachment 36193

I have had my PC since November 2020 and have had zero issues with it.

Things worth knowing:

- I can still connect to my network wirelessly on my PC, laptop, TV, phone etc. and have no issues.
- I have tried a different Ethernet cable and the problem still happens.
- I have connected a laptop via Ethernet to the network and it works absolutely fine.
- I have unplugged both router and modem and tried again - same issue.
- I have reset both router and modem and tried again - same issue.
- I have tried a different Ethernet port on my router - same issue.

I have run both the 'Network Adapter' and 'Internet Connection' trouble shooters within Windows and this is the message I get afterwards.

View attachment 36195

View attachment 36196

Windows then tells me that I'm connected to the internet for a maximum of 10 seconds:

View attachment 36198

I can open a browser and try and use the internet but nothing loads. After that 10 seconds it reverts back to no connection:

View attachment 36199

That is as far as my expertise goes I'm afraid. Is there anyone here that can help me any further please?
Hiya, can you post a screenshot of you optional updates section of windows update?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The Ethernet adapter is failing to get network details via DHCP. I'd like you to plug in the Ethernet cable again and disconnect from WiFi. Then enter the command ping 192.168.1.254 and post the result. That's the IP address of your router and will confirm whether you can actually talk to the router over Ethernet. Then we can decide what to check next.

Scoped Badger

Silver Level Poster
The Ethernet adapter is failing to get network details via DHCP. I'd like you to plug in the Ethernet cable again and disconnect from WiFi. Then enter the command ping 192.168.1.254 and post the result. That's the IP address of your router and will confirm whether you can actually talk to the router over Ethernet. Then we can decide what to check next.
Thanks for your reply.

1678205767126.png

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The network stack is fine then.

Try entering the ipconfig /release command followed by an ipconfig /renew command. Post the output of both here.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
There is a problem with the LAN adapter. The outut of the ipconfig /release shows that it thinks the media is disconnected. THis could simply be a driver problem, so I'd suggest you use Device Manager to uninstall the LAN adapter and driver, then download the latest LAN driver from your motherboard vendor's website and install that.

Scoped Badger

Silver Level Poster
There is a problem with the LAN adapter. The outut of the ipconfig /release shows that it thinks the media is disconnected. THis could simply be a driver problem, so I'd suggest you use Device Manager to uninstall the LAN adapter and driver, then download the latest LAN driver from your motherboard vendor's website and install that.
Okay, thanks a lot for your help. Just before I start downloading stuff that I'm not 100% sure is the right thing, could you confirm I'm looking in the right place?

1678208703180.png

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Okay, thanks a lot for your help. Just before I start downloading stuff that I'm not 100% sure is the right thing, could you confirm I'm looking in the right place?

View attachment 36215
Yep, that's the one, make sure it's the latest one, that does look it would be the latest one.

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
If the issue arises again, go into the properties of the I225-V controller in device manager, and set the speed and duplex value to 1Gbps instead of auto or 2.5. A lot of users with I225 card (myself included) had issues with ethernet connection, but dropping the duplex to 1Gbps seems to resolve it for most users