PC not running as I think it should for its value.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Something not right there. The GPU is a little lower than I would expect. CPU looks pretty much spot on but the combined value is awful.

Have you got any software on there to control overclocking or anything? You really want everything set at default, including the Nvidia control panel settings.

Make sure prefer maximum performance and V-Sync disabled is configured once reset.

DeFrxg

Bronze Level Poster
Those scores don't look low enough to explain the limited performance you're describing.

Frankly when I asked what monitor you had I was expecting you to tell me it was a 100hz one and you had vsync turned on.

The furmark score, having a quick google, isn't awful either as far as I can see.

Maybe it and the Firestrike GPU scores are a little low, but not by so very much.

Just finished playing PUBG, averaging around 100 FPS and on GPU-Z my gpu performance is like 30%. When I play on ultra settings it goes to 70% but with very similar FPS so no point doing so.

Could it be because my CPU is maxing out on 2 cores that's just bottlenecking the GPU?

DeFrxg

Bronze Level Poster
Something not right there. The GPU is a little lower than I would expect. CPU looks pretty much spot on but the combined value is awful.

Have you got any software on there to control overclocking or anything? You really want everything set at default, including the Nvidia control panel settings.

Make sure prefer maximum performance and V-Sync disabled is configured once reset.

I believe it's all default as it is? I have turbo mode enabled in BIOS but that was enabled by default which lets my CPU go to 4.1 ghz instead of 3.5.

I also have a XMP profile enabled for my RAM which goes to 3000mhz.

Other than that everything is default.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
You have said that it averages 100fps, what does it peak at?

I would reset the Nvidia control panel to default, change performance preference to maximum and v-sync settings to off. Make sure that the windows power configuration is set to maximum performance then give it another run.

I'm not THAT familiar with the 9900X CPUs but it's performing similarly to the 9900k as far as the firestrike score goes so the combined score is definitely off. Something is limiting it somewhere.

DeFrxg

Bronze Level Poster
You have said that it averages 100fps, what does it peak at?

I would reset the Nvidia control panel to default, change performance preference to maximum and v-sync settings to off. Make sure that the windows power configuration is set to maximum performance then give it another run.

I'm not THAT familiar with the 9900X CPUs but it's performing similarly to the 9900k as far as the firestrike score goes so the combined score is definitely off. Something is limiting it somewhere.

It varies alot but I'd say it peaks at 150 fps but never stays like that. Always drops to 100 ish.

I should leave turbo mode in BIOS on? Hyperthreading is also on by default i'm assuming this is okay too?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Yeah, it's not the bios I'm concerned with. The Nvidia control panel and Windows Power settings would be my first port of call.

DeFrxg

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah, it's not the bios I'm concerned with. The Nvidia control panel and Windows Power settings would be my first port of call.

I ran firestrike again with default control panel and windows power settings and got the same results as before.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Without knowing what's been done software wise and configuration wise it's probably a wise move.

It's a lot of hassle but hopefully it will be worth it in the long run. Just be sure to do a clean install, completely wipe the drive etc. Backup anything you wish to keep before starting though.

DeFrxg

Bronze Level Poster
Without knowing what's been done software wise and configuration wise it's probably a wise move.

It's a lot of hassle but hopefully it will be worth it in the long run. Just be sure to do a clean install, completely wipe the drive etc. Backup anything you wish to keep before starting though.

Okay, sorry for many questions but I have no experience in this stuff. That link that I provided if I do it all through that and choose to not keep any files does that provide me with a clean install?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I wouldn't use that personally, no. I would download the windows 10 ISO to USB and install completely from fresh.

polycrac

Rising Star

Isn't the 9900x is a low power/lower clocked version of the 9900k? Could that be a factor?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Isn't the 9900x is a low power/lower clocked version of the 9900k? Could that be a factor?

It's not as good as the 9900k for gaming, that's for sure. That's why I wanted to check Firestrike. It still seems about 1000 points short in the firestrike combined test though, which seems like an issue.

23k for the physics is aright for the 9900X
25k for the GPU is a little bit low, I would expect 26k, eeking towards 27k
6.8k combined is low IMO, should be 7.5k minimum I would have thought, 7.8k would be what I would expect going by other systems.

This points to the GPU/GPU configuration. Hence why I wanted to be sure with the Nvidia settings.

A CPU bottleneck would explain why it doesn't matter what the GPU settings are at, but I'm just not convinced.

Last edited:

DeFrxg

Bronze Level Poster
It's not as good as the 9900k for gaming, that's for sure. That's why I wanted to check Firestrike. It still seems about 1000 points short in the firestrike combined test though, which seems like an issue.

23k for the physics is aright for the 9900X
25k for the GPU is a little bit low, I would expect 26k, eeking towards 27k
6.8k combined is low IMO, should be 7.5k minimum I would have thought, 7.8k would be what I would expect going by other systems.

This points to the GPU/GPU configuration. Hence why I wanted to be sure with the Nvidia settings.

A CPU bottleneck would explain why it doesn't matter what the GPU settings are at, but I'm just not convinced.

Hey mate, just got back from fresh windows install haha.

Haven't touched anything, what do I need to get drivers for? Just GPU? Anything else you'd reccomend doing?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
As above, bare minimum for everything you install now for troubleshooting.

You will still likely need to access the Nvidia control panel and select "Prefer Maximum Performance" and possibly need to disable V-Sync. Also, make sure your windows power settings are maximum for GPU & CPU. PCI Express you want on maximum performance, Processor Power management is the other one.