Pc not stable with xmp on. Help!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
To answer to your questions true i think 5000 to 6000 shouldn’t really matter or make a difference. Also yeah 64 is overkill i agree. But i figured to run the ram at is fastest speed since the build is relatively new and make the most of it
How can you possibly know this? I'm sure that Gigabyte didn't write that warning just for fun.

It's usually a mistake to opt for more RAM than you need (it just increases the workload for the Windows memory manager), it's equally a mistake to opt for faster RAM than you actually need, or you run the risk of bumping into problems like this one.

AlinZalau

Bronze Level Poster
So… same
Thing with the bios drom pcs…

Edit. Even ignoring that it can’t run at 6000 wont do even 5600 as stated the cpu and mobo supports. Also back to stock speeds ot still beeps 5 times, vga light on, reboot then loads fine. From cold boot beeps again 5 times until a reboot happens then again hit and missa. Either loads fine or beeps 5 times vga light on until a boot. Im lost now. Everything set back to auto..

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Try booting with each RAM stick, one at a time - and check with the manual for the right slot to use for a single RAM stick. Keep everything at stock frequencies and voltages.

Please download and run HWMonitor (free), expand the CPU temps section so we can see every core. Then post a screenshot of that with the PC at idle (nothing running) and a second screenshot with as much load as you can throw at the CPU.

AlinZalau

Bronze Level Poster
So i have these settings at 5000 mhz. Before and after running cinebench 2024.sorry some pics uploaded twice

Edit: noticed something. If the pc is off and turn the psu off, hold the power button down for 10 sec then start it up it boots fine..

Edit2: all back on default and auto runs at 4800. So I guess im just unlucky and ill have to settle to this basic speed
IMG_9604.jpeg
IMG_9606.jpeg
IMG_9604.jpeg
IMG_9607.jpeg
IMG_9606.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9605.jpeg
    IMG_9605.jpeg
    372.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

AlinZalau

Bronze Level Poster
Performed a mem test as pcs said. No issues there. Here is the reply:

Good Morning,

Thank you for your reply.

You cpu has a max memory limit of Up to DDR5 5600 MT/s

Anything over this amount will cause instablity and further issues.

I would not reccomend using XMP unless overclocking the ram to this speed.

The memtest seems to have come back with 0 errors so thats a good sign.

I hope this information helps but please let me know if you need any further help or information

What else can i do. Or i got a ‘bad’ chip?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Given the problems you're having I don't think that Memtest86 is good enough. No RAM tester can ever detect all RAM issues. I suggest you remove one RAM stick (ensure its in the correct slot for one stick) and see whether you can make it fail. Then swap RAM sticks and try on just the other one.

Obviously you cannot overclock it past 5600MHz - ever.

AlinZalau

Bronze Level Poster
Given the problems you're having I don't think that Memtest86 is good enough. No RAM tester can ever detect all RAM issues. I suggest you remove one RAM stick (ensure its in the correct slot for one stick) and see whether you can make it fail. Then swap RAM sticks and try on just the other one.

Obviously you cannot overclock it past 5600MHz - ever.
Gave me 5 beeps with on stick without enabling anything. Now i removed the cmos battery wait 30 mins. Install ram and check one more time xmp. If fails then ill leave it stock and oh well

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I’m just wondering, there are 2 types of RAM, one for Intel XMP and one for AMD EXPO.

These both have tiny chips on them that have supported XMP / EXPO configurations embedded in the chip, when you set XMP on the board, it’s reading the confirmation from that chip on the DIMM. If you’ve got an EXPO DIMM and you’re trying to set XMP, it will fail because there are no XMP configurations on the DIMM

Have you definitely bought XMP RAM? Can you post a link of the RAM sticks you’ve bought?

AlinZalau

Bronze Level Poster
So now. Xmp 1 is on. I selected in the spd xmp1 profile for both sticks. Back to turning on pc from fully off it comes on for a sec then turns off and back on quickly. No issues tried a game runs fine no blue screen nothing. It does show now 6000 mhz and cl30 timmings. I wonder what that initial on off on is

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
When you first change any settings on the RAM there is a learning process to ensure stability with the CPU. This is perfectly normal and expected with DDR5. It should have stated this in the motherboard manual for when changing DIMMs or settings.

AlinZalau

Bronze Level Poster
When you first change any settings on the RAM there is a learning process to ensure stability with the CPU. This is perfectly normal and expected with DDR5. It should have stated this in the motherboard manual for when changing DIMMs or settings.
Thank you for the reply. My issue is that it does it every time now…

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thank you for the reply. My issue is that it does it every time now…
So you need to troubleshoot that. But from what you're saying there's nothing wrong with the RAM now, it's recognising the XMP correctly.

Are you actually turning off the PC when you shut it down? By default windows has hibernation set so it doesn't actually shut down, it goes into hibernation sleep, this was to speed up boot processes on older legacy systems. Most people disable hibernation because it simply causes issues and is irrelevant nowadays with SSDs as boot speeds are so fast.

If you're hibernating then it's more likely due to an issue with an app not shutting down properly and causing a crash on resume I'd suggest.

AlinZalau

Bronze Level Poster
So you need to troubleshoot that. But from what you're saying there's nothing wrong with the RAM now, it's recognising the XMP correctly.

Are you actually turning off the PC when you shut it down? By default windows has hibernation set so it doesn't actually shut down, it goes into hibernation sleep, this was to speed up boot processes on older legacy systems. Most people disable hibernation because it simply causes issues and is irrelevant nowadays with SSDs as boot speeds are so fast.

If you're hibernating then it's more likely due to an issue with an app not shutting down properly and causing a crash on resume I'd suggest.
Hi,

Yeah hibernate is off same as fast boot. When not in use which is weekdays I also turn off the psu just in case. Once the psu is off i discharge anything left by pressing the power button. Been gaming for a few hours and it behaves normal. Its just that Annoying on off on again that scares me a bit in the sense that what if something can get damaged because of it

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It's not a trick question, disabling hibernation can be quite tricky if you don't know what you're doing, I'm simply trying to determine if it's definitely disabled

If you can open powershell as administrator and type the following?

powercfg /a

and post a screenshot of the output?

AlinZalau

Bronze Level Poster
It's not a trick question, disabling hibernation can be quite tricky if you don't know what you're doing, I'm simply trying to determine if it's definitely disabled

If you can open powershell as administrator and type the following?

powercfg /a

and post a screenshot of the output?
Ohh i see what you mean. I thought we talking about the actual power option. No, hibernate is default. But i assume that the pc off and psu off that should not make a difference. I can turn it off and test. At this point im willing to try anything