Pc not switching on with graphics card slotted.

Mitrich

Bronze Level Poster
Hi there,

I have a problem that I hope someone will help me tackle. Yesterday I was playing Diablo 4 when suddenly my PC just shut down completely. It was not responding when I pressed the power button.
After checking the socket and power cable it was still not switching on. I assumed that it is either a power supply or one of the components. Once I removed the graphics card from the slot and switched the power on, it was working, I mean all the computer started to light up and fans started to move.
I think it is a broken graphics card, but just to be sure it is not psu, I switched to my second 750W psu and the story is exactly the same.

Is my graphics card dead? Why it is not letting my PC start?

And how to check if it's dead as I don't know anyone with PC who could test it?

Here are my specs

Case
CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 500D SE CASE
Promotional Item
Get FarCry 6 with select AMD Ryzen CPUs
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 Core CPU (3.4GHz-4.9GHz/72MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
10GB ASUS ROG STRIX GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 5000MB/W)
1st Storage Drive
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 120 2.5" SSD, (up to 560MB/sR | 540MB/sW)
External DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
6x Slim USB 2.0 External Blu-Ray Writer
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H115i PRO Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Extra Case Fans
1 x 120mm Black Case Fan
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

I hope there is some way of fixing it or at least find the fault, as I don't want to buy a new GPU without being certain that my old one is completely dead.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hi there,

I have a problem that I hope someone will help me tackle. Yesterday I was playing Diablo 4 when suddenly my PC just shut down completely. It was not responding when I pressed the power button.
After checking the socket and power cable it was still not switching on. I assumed that it is either a power supply or one of the components. Once I removed the graphics card from the slot and switched the power on, it was working, I mean all the computer started to light up and fans started to move.
I think it is a broken graphics card, but just to be sure it is not psu, I switched to my second 750W psu and the story is exactly the same.

Is my graphics card dead? Why it is not letting my PC start?

And how to check if it's dead as I don't know anyone with PC who could test it?

Here are my specs

Case
CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 500D SE CASE
Promotional Item
Get FarCry 6 with select AMD Ryzen CPUs
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 Core CPU (3.4GHz-4.9GHz/72MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
10GB ASUS ROG STRIX GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 5000MB/W)
1st Storage Drive
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 120 2.5" SSD, (up to 560MB/sR | 540MB/sW)
External DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
6x Slim USB 2.0 External Blu-Ray Writer
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H115i PRO Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Extra Case Fans
1 x 120mm Black Case Fan
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

I hope there is some way of fixing it or at least find the fault, as I don't want to buy a new GPU without being certain that my old one is completely dead.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
It should still be under warranty mate, if you give PCS a ring they should be able to point you in the right direction to find out what's going on

Mitrich

Bronze Level Poster
Unfortunately I don't have a warranty for parts, just labour, I will probably request an RMA.

Also, I cannot benchmark and check the card nor the system because my PC simply won't start.

What I noticed is that when I remove a middle PCIe power plug from my cards socket leaving the other two in, the computer starts up, I just don't have an HDMI signal on my monitor

What that could mean?

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Does your GPU use 3x8 pin cables? Are they all coming from a splitter, or running directly to their own socket on the PSU?

Rakk

The Awesome
What I noticed is that when I remove a middle PCIe power plug from my cards socket leaving the other two in, the computer starts up, I just don't have an HDMI signal on my monitor
Probably just means because its not properly plugged in (ie. not all the cables are connected) it just doesn't think its there so its the same as just not having it plugged in

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I would contact PCS. It sounds like a faulty card to me. You will likely still be covered under the manufacturers warranty for the GPU. In some cases they will take care of the warranty claim for you and simply send you are replacement. It depends entirely on stocks and availability though.

Mitrich

Bronze Level Poster
I would contact PCS. It sounds like a faulty card to me. You will likely still be covered under the manufacturers warranty for the GPU. In some cases they will take care of the warranty claim for you and simply send you are replacement. It depends entirely on stocks and availability though.
I just spoke with a nice gentleman from PCS and he will let me know if I will get a replacement card, I just don't see myself spending so much money on a new one. Fingers crossed 🤞

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I just spoke with a nice gentleman from PCS and he will let me know if I will get a replacement card, I just don't see myself spending so much money on a new one. Fingers crossed 🤞
Fingers crossed you've still got manufacturers warranty 🤞